Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power cable beneath a drive

Good morning,

I'm looking for a way out on this one.

We have recently acquired what seem to be very nice new neighbours and
they have asked if they can take a power cable beneath our drive to a
part of their garden.

I have no intention of allowing them to do so (for a variety of
reasons) but would like to quote some regulation which would prevent my
having to turn the request down flat.

The cable would cross the mains water supply and drains at right angles
- any suggestions that my get me off the hook would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

I'm looking for a way out on this one.

We have recently acquired what seem to be very nice new neighbours and
they have asked if they can take a power cable beneath our drive to a
part of their garden.

I have no intention of allowing them to do so (for a variety of
reasons) but would like to quote some regulation which would prevent
my having to turn the request down flat.

The cable would cross the mains water supply and drains at right
angles - any suggestions that my get me off the hook would be greatly
appreciated.

Just tell them that you mentioned it to your solicitor when discussing
something else and that he advised against it.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
ups.com...
Good morning,

I'm looking for a way out on this one.

We have recently acquired what seem to be very nice new neighbours and
they have asked if they can take a power cable beneath our drive to a
part of their garden.

I have no intention of allowing them to do so (for a variety of
reasons) but would like to quote some regulation which would prevent my
having to turn the request down flat.

The cable would cross the mains water supply and drains at right angles
- any suggestions that my get me off the hook would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

====================
Make it too much trouble for THEM.

Look he http://www.wayleave.co.uk/wayleave-advice.htm

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Good morning,

I'm looking for a way out on this one.

We have recently acquired what seem to be very nice new neighbours and
they have asked if they can take a power cable beneath our drive to a
part of their garden.

I have no intention of allowing them to do so (for a variety of
reasons) but would like to quote some regulation which would prevent my
having to turn the request down flat.

The cable would cross the mains water supply and drains at right angles
- any suggestions that my get me off the hook would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

====================
Make it too much trouble for THEM.

Look he http://www.wayleave.co.uk/wayleave-advice.htm

Cic.

Gulp!

After reading that I wouldn't let my own mother put a cable across my
proerty.

Thanks a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On 19 Jun 2006 00:54:36 -0700, wrote:

Good morning,

I'm looking for a way out on this one.

We have recently acquired what seem to be very nice new neighbours and
they have asked if they can take a power cable beneath our drive to a
part of their garden.

Don't let them! You'll be storing up trouble for yourself!

I have no intention of allowing them to do so (for a variety of
reasons) but would like to quote some regulation which would prevent my
having to turn the request down flat.

Err, not really any regs you can quote that would stop it outright, but
some things you can bring up with them which should dissuade them.

1) You require them to enter into an agreement, to be drawn up by your
solicitor, which will fully indemnify you, and which will also compensate
you on an ongoing basis for allowing them to have the cable on your
property.

2) You require them to have an adequate insurance against any possible
damage arising to your property as a result of a fault on their cable.

3) They would be responsible for any making good in the event that they
need at any time in the future acees onto your land for maintenance
purposes.

4) The electrical installation must be carried fully in accordance with the
current edition of BS7671 (The IEE Wiring Regs).

5) You require at their expense a check by an appropriate person (a
competent electrical contractor) every 5 years to ensure the installation
that crosses your property is in a safe condition.

6) Everything to be at their expense!

You need to play things nice and friendly, like 'Well, yes, I suppose we
could, but have you thought about the legal implications?'

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On 19 Jun 2006 03:25:44 -0700, wrote:

Cicero wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Who there, wayleave.co.uk have to say is irrelevant insofar as any
arrangement between two individuals. Their business is built on the
Electricity Act, 1989.

As a more general note, it's also worth mentioning that wayleave.co.uk is
just a tad sparing with the facts. Naturally they have a vested interest to
attract business their way, but The Electricity Act 1989 contains one very
important proviso, necessary wayleaves won't be entertained where domestic
dwellings are concerned!

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , The Wanderer
writes
[...]

Humm... Out of inane curiosity.. just how far down would you have to go i.e.
in a tunnel say before the wayleave regs no longer applied???......
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

Cicero wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, brain fart there.....

Should have read:

Whoa there, whatever wayleave.co.uk have to say.....

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:14:52 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , The Wanderer
writes
[...]

See my comments elsewhere in this thread.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
[...]

power line to a cctv camera 12v zaa Electronics Repair 9 December 2nd 05 02:58 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
fitting an outside light - problem getting the power cable to light, any ideas? Kam_UK UK diy 1 November 24th 04 04:33 PM
slightly OT NTL/Telewest cable descrambler ntldescrambler UK diy 10 August 26th 04 03:25 PM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM