Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

Default Chrome compression with plastic

Hi all.
I've installed the close coupled toilet and cistern but the inlet leaks.
I have a chromed 15mm x 1/2" isolator elbow connected to the cistern inlet.

But there is a slow leak.. I've never connected plastic to chrome before.
Does
this combination require anything special to make a good joint?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Davao" wrote in message
Hi all.
I've installed the close coupled toilet and cistern but the inlet leaks.
I have a chromed 15mm x 1/2" isolator elbow connected to the cistern
inlet.

But there is a slow leak.. I've never connected plastic to chrome before.
Does
this combination require anything special to make a good joint?

A pipe insert. Wrap the olive with PTFE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I've installed the close coupled toilet and cistern but the inlet leaks.
I have a chromed 15mm x 1/2" isolator elbow connected to the cistern inlet.

But there is a slow leak.. I've never connected plastic to chrome before.
Does
this combination require anything special to make a good joint?

Just make sure you are using the correct pipe support insert, the
compression fitting should work no problem.
If you have a leak, check for grit on olive or pipe.
At a push a slight smear of plumbers mate would fix ... but should not
need it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"Osprey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I've installed the close coupled toilet and cistern but the inlet leaks.
I have a chromed 15mm x 1/2" isolator elbow connected to the cistern
inlet.

But there is a slow leak.. I've never connected plastic to chrome before.
Does
this combination require anything special to make a good joint?

Just make sure you are using the correct pipe support insert, the
compression fitting should work no problem.
If you have a leak, check for grit on olive or pipe.
At a push a slight smear of plumbers mate would fix ... but should not
need it.

Pipe supports are not required here.
I have copper pipe connected to the 15mm end of the chrome elbow.
The other end of the elbow is directly connected to the inlet to the
cistern.

I assume the (vertical) cistern inlet is 1/2" bsp and therefore the same
size as the 1/2 end of the elbow.

Would a dab of fermox LS-X be ok to use?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Davao wrote:

The other end of the elbow is directly connected to the inlet to the
cistern.

Are youi sure you have a fibre or rubber washer between the elbow and
the spiggot on the cistern valve?

I assume the (vertical) cistern inlet is 1/2" bsp and therefore the same
size as the 1/2 end of the elbow.

Yup, but you need a tap connector end to the fitting rather than a
normal compression end.

Would a dab of fermox LS-X be ok to use?

It might

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Davao wrote:

The other end of the elbow is directly connected to the inlet to the
cistern.

Are youi sure you have a fibre or rubber washer between the elbow and the
spiggot on the cistern valve?

I assume the (vertical) cistern inlet is 1/2" bsp and therefore the same
size as the 1/2 end of the elbow.

Yup, but you need a tap connector end to the fitting rather than a normal
compression end.

Would a dab of fermox LS-X be ok to use?

It might

--
Cheers,

John.

Yes. The chrome isolator elbow has a captive nut which I believe indicates
a tap connector.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

And it has a fibre washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

Davao wrote:
And it has a fibre washer.

It might be worth trying a neoprene/plastic washer instead.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey

John Rumm wrote:
Davao wrote:

The other end of the elbow is directly connected to the inlet to the
cistern.

Are youi sure you have a fibre or rubber washer between the elbow and
the spiggot on the cistern valve?

I assume the (vertical) cistern inlet is 1/2" bsp and therefore the same
size as the 1/2 end of the elbow.

Yup, but you need a tap connector end to the fitting rather than a
normal compression end.

Sounds like you are trying to mate a standard 15mm compression to a
female bsp theaded inlet ... not correct.

You need a tap connector .. strainght or 90 Degree to suit the layout.
This connector has a fibre washer which makes the seal against the end
of the threaded inlet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Davao wrote:
"Osprey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Davao wrote:
[...]

PTFE tape more like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Davao wrote:
"Osprey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Davao wrote:
[...]

You shouldn't use jointing compound on plastic pipe / fittings - only
silicon grease, maybe Vaseline or possibly PTFE tape on the olive (although
I have never needed to) and the proper support sleeve in plastic pipe - if
it doesn't seal, it must be a dirty joint or possibly a faulty fitting ( I
have had that but its very unusual)

Nick