Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Fingerless thin cotton gloves?

Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

I have considered cycling gloves but the ones I've seen so far are a
bit 'chunky' ?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

You could ask your local museum where they get their gloves to handle
objects.

They could fray but would it matter?

OK. Why do you want them?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

I have considered cycling gloves but the ones I've seen so far are a
bit 'chunky' ?

All the best ..

T i m

Camping shop,Sports shop.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Camping shop,Sports shop.

Hah! forgot to mention, an angling shop

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Camping shop,Sports shop.

Hah! forgot to mention, an angling shop

You still haven't mentioned it. Which one did you have in mind?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Camping shop,Sports shop.

Hah! forgot to mention, an angling shop

You still haven't mentioned it. Which one did you have in mind?

The nearest one to him. :-P

But a good angling tackle shop would be the prime source as thats where I
purchased some a couple of years ago.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:20:04 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

I have considered cycling gloves but the ones I've seen so far are a
bit 'chunky' ?

All the best ..

T i m

In factories they normally use ordinary ones and snip the fingers off.
They don't seem to fray too much, and a bit of glue will stop that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Part P

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

I have considered cycling gloves but the ones I've seen so far are a
bit 'chunky' ?

All the best ..

T i m

Camping shop,Sports shop.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

No they won't fray if you cut the ends off "full fingered" gloves. Just
make sure you cut them square and about half an inch LONGER than you
require them.

How do I know?...

I used to manufacture them - until Johnny foreigner decided to manufacture
and sell them for a bowl of rice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:25:13 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

|The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
|
| Camping shop,Sports shop.
|
|Hah! forgot to mention, an angling shop

Those are usually thinsulite, not cotton and have a mitten end flapping
over fingers when necessary. Watch "Springwatch" on BBC2 the bloke in
Shetland always wears them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:21:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

You could ask your local museum where they get their gloves to handle
objects.

I had thought of the museum connection (images from the TV of the
curator handling valuable artifacts) but although our 'nearest' one is
London (12 miles away) it will take a good day to get in there .. ;-(

They could fray but would it matter?

Not really I suppose .. certainly if they did it slowly and were cheap
...?

OK. Why do you want them?

It was actually a request / suggestion by my daughter. In the summer
the excema on her hands flares up and she felt embarrassed for her
fellow combatants in her Tai Quan Do club (wrist grabs etc).

She knows it's not contagious but just feels they might not like being
touched so thought the gloves would offer some cover whilst not
affecting what she was doing?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:44:22 GMT, T i m wrote:

I had thought of the museum connection (images from the TV of the
curator handling valuable artifacts) but although our 'nearest' one is
London (12 miles away) it will take a good day to get in there .. ;-(

Thin cheap cotton gloves are used to handle photo film, slides and such -- tray
a photo shop?

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:42:19 GMT, EricP
wrote:

Thanks for all the thoughts / replies folks.

In factories they normally use ordinary ones and snip the fingers off.
They don't seem to fray too much, and a bit of glue will stop that.

I had thought of sealing the cuts somehow but was sure what with. I
didn't want a stiff edge or ridge?

I have 'local' fishing and sports shops and a good camping shop is
only an email away so I'll give them all a try .. thanks ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

I used to buy them in packs of 10 from my local engineers' suppliers. They
are widely used for handling delicate components and you can even get them
with a pattern of small rubbery pimples, to give improved grip.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

I have considered cycling gloves but the ones I've seen so far are a
bit 'chunky' ?

All the best ..

T i m

Boots sell cotton gloves.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

You could ask your local museum where they get their gloves to handle
objects.

They could fray but would it matter?

OK. Why do you want them?

Mary

==========================
http://www.aid-pack.co.uk/webapp/wcs...play?langId=-1
&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=215680 0

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

It has removed 98 spam emails to date.
Get the free SPAMfighter he http://www.spamfighter.com/len

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

OK. Why do you want them?

It was actually a request / suggestion by my daughter. In the summer
the excema on her hands flares up and she felt embarrassed for her
fellow combatants in her Tai Quan Do club (wrist grabs etc).

She knows it's not contagious but just feels they might not like being
touched so thought the gloves would offer some cover whilst not
affecting what she was doing?

What a good idea - and how considerate of her. It wouldn't bother me but
some people are rather over sensitive!

Mary

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

I used to buy them in packs of 10 from my local engineers' suppliers. They
are widely used for handling delicate components and you can even get them
with a pattern of small rubbery pimples, to give improved grip.

Because of why Tim's daughter wants them that might be considered an unfair
advantage :-)

Mary

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
T i m wrote:
Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?
If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Bleached cotton stockinette, open cuff
http://www.healthandsafetysupplies.c...ton_Nylon.html

Cotton gloves Ideal for use in precision or delicate work.
Light duty white cotton gloves, with hemmed wrists and stitched fingers
that adjust to hand size. They do not leave fluff, and protect against
dirty finger marks.
http://www.aid-pack.co.uk/ search for product ref COB407

A *lot* more expensive from 'dermatological' suppliers
http://www.pointpharmacy.com/shop/cu...otton%20gloves

Cotton researchers gloves,, for handling archives
http://www.conservation-by-design.co...sundries8.html
(now that's a fascinating site I shall explore more of later ...)

COR!

:-)

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

T i m wrote:

I had thought of sealing the cuts somehow but was sure what with. I
didn't want a stiff edge or ridge?

Try a good sewing supply place. Something like 'Fray-Chek' would work
well. Clear, flexible, and designed for the purpose.

Sheila

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , T i m
writes
Hi All,

Any idea where I can get 'medium' sized thin cotton gloves from please
(ideally fingerless)?

I don't need thousands but a pack of 10 might be ok (if not too
expensive)?

If not fingerless would you know if the ends would fray too much if
the fingers were cut off the gloves (or an easy / comfortable way of
stopping them fraying without hemming each finger)?

Thought someone here might know a field / use where such things are
standard?

I have considered cycling gloves but the ones I've seen so far are a
bit 'chunky' ?

I buy mine from a company called R Glover Ashcroft in Enfield, there is
no chance of them having a website though, the factory is like something
straight out of a Dickens novel.

They have a minimum order of £30, I'll have a look and see what stock I
have

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:58:09 GMT, raden wrote:

[...]

Wow, thanks again to all for some great leads.

This problem has effected her for quite some time (mainly in the
summer) even curtailing what could have been a career in tennis (at
least with golf she could wear one glove!). Even rowing is difficult,
tearing her hands up is she does too much of it. ;-(

Putting a thumb rest on her tenor recorder stopped that slipping
through her hands (I believe her oboe and tenor sax have thumb rests
fitted as std) ;-)

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:36:59 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

OK. Why do you want them?

It was actually a request / suggestion by my daughter. In the summer
the excema on her hands flares up and she felt embarrassed for her
fellow combatants in her Tai Quan Do club (wrist grabs etc).

She knows it's not contagious but just feels they might not like being
touched so thought the gloves would offer some cover whilst not
affecting what she was doing?

What a good idea - and how considerate of her.

She's like that. On one hand nicely sensitive (these days) but has
very cold streak if you push her too far .. ;-)

It wouldn't bother me but
some people are rather over sensitive!

Possibly because you would recognize it for what it was Mary. She
wouldn't say anything about it to anyone there so she might think they
might assume it was *contagious* (but equally not want to say
anything)?

I think in life we are all given things on balance, she was lucky when
it came to having an eye for art or an ear for music but unlucky re
dry hands ;-(

Like my wife .. not lucky in the looks department but she's got me ..
see .. it all balances out! ducks right hook .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:37:10 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I had thought of sealing the cuts somehow but was sure what with. I
didn't want a stiff edge or ridge?

Try a good sewing supply place. Something like 'Fray-Chek' would work
well. Clear, flexible, and designed for the purpose.

Hi Sheila,

I've done a quick Google and it doesn't seem to come up with anything?

We do have a decent sewing machine / knitting shop (haberdashery?) at
the top of the road so will ask in there.

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

She knows it's not contagious but just feels they might not like being
touched so thought the gloves would offer some cover whilst not
affecting what she was doing?

What a good idea - and how considerate of her.

She's like that. On one hand nicely sensitive (these days) but has
very cold streak if you push her too far .. ;-)

I'll keep my distance.

It wouldn't bother me but
some people are rather over sensitive!

Possibly because you would recognize it for what it was Mary. She
wouldn't say anything about it to anyone there so she might think they
might assume it was *contagious* (but equally not want to say
anything)?

You won't be surprised when I say that I'd ask. I ask why people are in
wheelchairs, why they're bald (if they look young) and the like. No-one's
ever been offended, they like someone to take an interest and talk about
whatever condition they have - in my experience. YMMD (I've been waiting to
use that!).

I think in life we are all given things on balance, she was lucky when
it came to having an eye for art or an ear for music but unlucky re
dry hands ;-(

Seriously, I agree. Notbody's perfect - not even you.

Like my wife .. not lucky in the looks department but she's got me ..

You can't help having poor eyesight.

see .. it all balances out! ducks right hook .. ;-)

Yes sigh - if only I knew if I had any good points :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:58:09 GMT, raden wrote:

Putting a thumb rest on her tenor recorder stopped that slipping
through her hands (I believe her oboe and tenor sax have thumb rests
fitted as std) ;-)

You've reminded me that No 2 daughter has occasional dry hands yet plays
wind and string instruments, I wonder how she manages ... her husband's skin
is even worse (chronic eczema on all limbs) and he plays too. I know that he
wears gloves in the workshop - they're cabinet makers.

Hmm. Must remember to ask.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

T i m wrote:

I've done a quick Google and it doesn't seem to come up with anything?

We do have a decent sewing machine / knitting shop (haberdashery?) at
the top of the road so will ask in there.

Try http://www.sewingchest.co.uk/browse.php?n=48&tp=9
The stuff works amazingly well.

Apparently the bottle I had was from the US, hence the 'cute' spelling.
Spell it properly (with the c), and you should have no trouble finding
a source for it.

Sheila

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:20:12 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I've done a quick Google and it doesn't seem to come up with anything?

We do have a decent sewing machine / knitting shop (haberdashery?) at
the top of the road so will ask in there.

Try http://www.sewingchest.co.uk/browse.php?n=48&tp=9
The stuff works amazingly well.

Hi again Sheila,

I went to said shop and bought a bottle of "Fray Stoppa" (similar size
and price to you stuff) but we are yet to test it.

Apparently the bottle I had was from the US, hence the 'cute' spelling.
Spell it properly (with the c), and you should have no trouble finding
a source for it.

I suppose that's the problem with these trendy names .. we miss them
with searches .. ?

So, how would you apply the stuff for the best results please Sheila
... I though maybe she could cut the fingers off and put the glove on
over a surgical glove then apply the gear?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

T i m wrote:

So, how would you apply the stuff for the best results please Sheila
.. I though maybe she could cut the fingers off and put the glove on
over a surgical glove then apply the gear?

I'd cut the fingers off, then simply hold the glove (not putting it on),
and apply a _tiny_ line of the gloop to the cut edge. It doesn't need
much, and it dries very quickly. I'd be concerned that it might stick
to the surgical glove.

Sheila

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:13:15 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

T i m wrote:

So, how would you apply the stuff for the best results please Sheila
.. I though maybe she could cut the fingers off and put the glove on
over a surgical glove then apply the gear?

I'd cut the fingers off, then simply hold the glove (not putting it on),
and apply a _tiny_ line of the gloop to the cut edge. It doesn't need
much, and it dries very quickly. I'd be concerned that it might stick
to the surgical glove.

Ok thanks Sheila .. we'll give it a go ;-)
All the best ..

T i m