Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson

Default glueing board to fibreglass/acrylic bath

I got a reasonable quality fibreglass/acrylic bath. The more expensive
ones were either not a style I liked, or too expensive.
The base is entirely flat so good for showering and for supporting the
bath, but the sides flex a bit. I want to glue something like chipboard
onto the sides to improve this.
The underneath surface of the bath is uneven encapsulated fibreglass
matting.
What glue should I use to stick to this surface ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"sm_jamieson" wrote:
I got a reasonable quality fibreglass/acrylic bath. The more expensive
ones were either not a style I liked, or too expensive.
The base is entirely flat so good for showering and for supporting the
bath, but the sides flex a bit. I want to glue something like chipboard
onto the sides to improve this.
The underneath surface of the bath is uneven encapsulated fibreglass
matting.
What glue should I use to stick to this surface ?
Simon.

No More Nails should stick. The usual fix for preventing flexing of the
sides of an acrylic bath, apart from chasing into the wall, is to support
the bath edges on a wooden frame. Will the chipboard be in the form of
vertical panels from the floor and up to the underside of the bath edges? If
so, how will they be maintained in a fixed vertical position during any
movement?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

sm_jamieson wrote:
I got a reasonable quality fibreglass/acrylic bath. The more expensive
ones were either not a style I liked, or too expensive.
The base is entirely flat so good for showering and for supporting the
bath, but the sides flex a bit. I want to glue something like chipboard
onto the sides to improve this.
The underneath surface of the bath is uneven encapsulated fibreglass
matting.

I'd be far more inclined to buy some fibreglass mat and resin, and
stick that on. Brush on resin and hardener, plave the matting, stipple
on more resin 'till the mat is "wet", let it go off, done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

sm_jamieson wrote:
I got a reasonable quality fibreglass/acrylic bath. The more expensive
ones were either not a style I liked, or too expensive.
The base is entirely flat so good for showering and for supporting the
bath, but the sides flex a bit. I want to glue something like chipboard
onto the sides to improve this.
The underneath surface of the bath is uneven encapsulated fibreglass
matting.
What glue should I use to stick to this surface ?
Simon.

I used holts 'chemical metal'..in large gobs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I got a reasonable quality fibreglass/acrylic bath. The more expensive
ones were either not a style I liked, or too expensive.
The base is entirely flat so good for showering and for supporting the
bath, but the sides flex a bit. I want to glue something like chipboard
onto the sides to improve this.
The underneath surface of the bath is uneven encapsulated fibreglass
matting.

I'd be far more inclined to buy some fibreglass mat and resin, and
stick that on. Brush on resin and hardener, plave the matting, stipple
on more resin 'till the mat is "wet", let it go off, done.

Thats a class solution.

Especially if you add in some scaffold tubing ;-)

Raelly stiffens it up..

Or MDF in fact...a good wetting and then a plastic sheet over it all and
taped up attached to a vacuum cleaner will squish it all down.

stablising a bath SoWeezy UK diy 11 May 9th 06 11:17 PM
dead power supply board in Computer Projector jeanluc Electronics Repair 1 November 2nd 05 07:39 AM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Mits CS-3535R PIP board pinouts - big pip board Electronics Repair 1 March 17th 04 07:37 PM