Posted to uk.d-i-y
SoWeezy

Default stablising a bath

having a bit of trouble securing a metal bath so it doesn't move, it's a
cheap modern thin metal bath

I've fixed lengths of 6x2 to the floor (they run the length of the bath) and
screwed down the feet but the bath can still move laterally
I can pull it as much as 10mm from the wall and it moves when you lean on
the side to get out

it has really poor fixings for the feet brackets, hooked on either side of
the bath and held tight with a threaded hook and adjusted with a butterfly
nut
I've tightened the nut as much as possible but that hasn't stopped the
movement, I don't want to overtighten it incase it dethreads
there are 2 loops either side of the bath at one end but I don't know what
they're for ?

the bath is flush with the wall along one side and one end and the hoops are
near the other end

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

SoWeezy wrote:
[...]

It needs securing to the wall at the top to stop it moving: have you
done that? Usually some small L-shaped brackets.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SoWeezy

It needs securing to the wall at the top to stop it moving: have you done
that? Usually some small L-shaped brackets.

there's no way of fixing anything to the bath, unless there's a specific
clip/bracket for the job that clips under the lip and is screwed to the wall
?

I could drill through the lip and screw it to the wall that way but don't
want to take the risk of ruining the bath (SWiMBO would kill me (c; )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap

On Mon, 8 May 2006 13:43:16 +0100, "SoWeezy" wrote:

[...]

Also, I never rely soley on the supplied legs but put additional
appropriately sized pieces of timber to provide proper support
throughout the length of the bath and especially if it is used for
showering.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
SoWeezy

Also, I never rely soley on the supplied legs but put additional
appropriately sized pieces of timber to provide proper support
throughout the length of the bath and especially if it is used for
showering.

under the bottom of the bath or between the legs and floor ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

SoWeezy wrote:
[...]

Oh, yes - lots of things you can do with cheap baths.

No 1 thing is to stop the bloody things flexing. That's achieved with
slabs of MDF and lots of Holts P38 car body filler.

Then you have to fix them to the floors and walls - the blasted legs are
usally totally wobbly, and you need something to mount off the bath to
the wall.

L ANGLE brackets are good..these are soft enough to be cut and bent to
fit under the lip pointing upwards. and plenty more car body filler will
sort out the adhesion. Put them where the studs are in a studwork wall,
or when attaching to blockwork, recess the plaster a far but - then tile
over or fill with plaster and repaint.

As far as the front of the bath and sides go, glue timber batten to the
underside of the libs using yet more car body filler, and make up 2x2
studwork framing to support the bath edges. Panel in with ply or MDF and
tile or paint to suit.

Now to get on and stiffen my PLASTIC bath and so the above to it...;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap

On Mon, 8 May 2006 14:42:32 +0100, "SoWeezy" wrote:

Also, I never rely soley on the supplied legs but put additional
appropriately sized pieces of timber to provide proper support
throughout the length of the bath and especially if it is used for
showering.

under the bottom of the bath or between the legs and floor ?

Under the bottom of the bath. There is usually a chipboard sheet and
supporting that with judiously placed bits of wood, cut to the
appropriate depth, makes all the difference to the stability.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

SoWeezy wrote:
It needs securing to the wall at the top to stop it moving: have you done
that? Usually some small L-shaped brackets.

there's no way of fixing anything to the bath, unless there's a specific
clip/bracket for the job that clips under the lip and is screwed to the wall
?

I could drill through the lip and screw it to the wall that way but don't
want to take the risk of ruining the bath (SWiMBO would kill me (c; )

TBH I've never fitted a metal bath so I'm not sure. Plastic baths
usually come with a concealed timber batten under the lip so you can
screw to that. I'm sure you'll need to fix it there somehow though,
otherwise you'll never get a watertight seal twixt bath and wall.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BillP

"SoWeezy" wrote in message
[...]

I find an easy and successful way to secure a steel bath the wall is to use
two short lengths of wood, say 6" long 2" x 1" or whatever is handy. Cut a
small V groove near one end, this picks up the lip of the bath rim. Drill a
clearance hole to take a fixing screw, and clamp the bath rim to the wall
using a screw and rawlplug.

See http://www.geocities.com/wjp_gof/BathFix.doc

Works for me.

Best regards Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul R

BillP wrote:
"SoWeezy" wrote in message
[...]

This could be used in conjunction with Silicon. When I installed my
heavier steel bath last year, I asked a local plumbers merchant for the
fixings for the bath, and was recommended to just silicon in the bath.
This is what I did, and seems to work well, with no other fixings.

Paul R

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SoWeezy

thanks for all the help !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

SoWeezy wrote:

thanks for all the help !

What the others said, and also chop a rebate out of the wall along the
lip of the bath such that it can be set into the wall. This means any
tiles etc can drop down onto the flat top of the bath and not the roll
edge. Helps add stiffness and eliminates potential moisture traps.

--
Cheers,

John.

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Refitting a bathroom Dave UK diy 7 November 22nd 04 11:11 AM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM