Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

Default "Thick" Plastering

I need to plaster an internal wall, but will need to build it out upto 2
inches.

Should I render the wall first, to build it out or should I build it up
using bonding plaster?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I need to plaster an internal wall, but will need to build it out upto 2
inches.

'Kinell. Why?

Should I render the wall first, to build it out or should I build it up
using bonding plaster?

Can't you plasterboard it?

What about using 1-coat - have you a big area to do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

Wall was an exterior wall, but now inside my conservatory...It was
rendered, before I had some french doors installed.
It seems the fitters placed the lintel proud of the wall, and as the
wall is uneven, I have to pack it out in order to cover the lintel..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I need to plaster an internal wall, but will need to build it out upto 2
inches.

Should I render the wall first, to build it out or should I build it up
using bonding plaster?

I suppose plasteboard on a few battens isn't an option?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I need to plaster an internal wall, but will need to build it out
upto 2 inches.

Should I render the wall first, to build it out or should I build it
up using bonding plaster?

Small area ok,large area...
Thats a lot of backfill,best option is plasterboard and dab.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Wall was an exterior wall, but now inside my conservatory...It was
rendered, before I had some french doors installed.
It seems the fitters placed the lintel proud of the wall, and as the
wall is uneven, I have to pack it out in order to cover the lintel..

Can't you make the lintel into a feature, by rendering on that
and building it out, covering it with timber, or whatnot? What's
the lintel between your French windows and conservatory made of?

BTW, replying to posts with no context (quoted stuff) is a PITA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom

Bonding quickest and easiest if not too large an area. You can 'finish'
it if you get it right, and avoid having to put on another coat.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Franko

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:07cffa399022f0cd587d5f7ff5445139.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
I need to plaster an internal wall, but will need to build it out upto 2
inches.

Should I render the wall first, to build it out or should I build it up
using bonding plaster?

I had the same problem when building an extension, I dabbed scraps of
plasterboard to the deep spots first to give me a roughly level background
and the dabbed over the lot - all done and taped & jointed the same day.
Ready for painting the next day.
Franko.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Wall was an exterior wall, but now inside my conservatory...It was
rendered, before I had some french doors installed.
It seems the fitters placed the lintel proud of the wall, and as the
wall is uneven, I have to pack it out in order to cover the lintel..

You're being handed a golden oportunity to do something artistic and
characterful, and instead you want to do extra work to make it bland?

NT

plastering and artexing training school (PATS) [email protected] UK diy 1 December 3rd 05 09:22 AM
Drywalling?! Painting & Plastering!?? Jacob Moore Home Repair 2 May 6th 05 11:00 PM
lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum Stephen Fasham UK diy 42 May 22nd 04 03:59 PM
Old plastering and fireplaces Richard Owen UK diy 1 October 30th 03 12:42 PM
plastering JOE UK diy 2 September 19th 03 12:25 PM