Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

Default Vintage Projects

http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Well, sort of Vintage Projects, really. Plans from 50s and 60s for
things like tools, toys, even archery project

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:21:19 +0100, Guy King
had this to say:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Ages ago (about the age of 11) I molished a wood-turning lathe using,
as a bed, a bit of 4 x 2 with a couple of boxes formed around it for
toolrest and tailstock. The "headstock" was a large woodscrew, in some
sort of "bearing" driven from a government-surplus dynamotor via a
large flat elastic band. I even used the prototype to turn crude
stepped wooden pulleys for the motor and the headstock to give a
range of spindle speeds.

Really a lot more fun in those days than my current Myford Speed 10.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Well, sort of Vintage Projects, really. Plans from 50s and 60s for
things like tools, toys, even archery project

remarkable site!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Well, sort of Vintage Projects, really. Plans from 50s and 60s for
things like tools, toys, even archery project

EVEN?

I know lots of people who make their own bows. Spouse made mine (although I
bought his from the maker). He makes his own arrows too although he doesn't
use bluebell sap for the fletching ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

wrote in message
ups.com...
Guy King wrote:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Well, sort of Vintage Projects, really. Plans from 50s and 60s for
things like tools, toys, even archery project

remarkable site!

NT

I like the two home made band saw plans, one made out of plywood and the
other from 2" pipe fittings, two model-T Ford front wheels and a piston from
the same car - those were the days!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

EVEN?

Yeah, sorry, it was copied from another site where a couple of resident
readers are toxophiles.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

I like the two home made band saw plans, one made out of plywood and the
other from 2" pipe fittings, two model-T Ford front wheels and a
piston from
the same car - those were the days!

Wonder where I can get a cast-iron sink to make the forge?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Guy King wrote:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Well, sort of Vintage Projects, really. Plans from 50s and 60s for
things like tools, toys, even archery project

remarkable site!

I like the two home made band saw plans, one made out of plywood and the
other from 2" pipe fittings, two model-T Ford front wheels and a piston from
the same car - those were the days!

.... the days when almost no hobbyist could afford the power tools we
now have, so had to resort to such desperate measures as making their
own, or in nearly all cases, doing without..

Good job angle grinders werent around then, or that site would be a lot
more dangerous.

NT

PS for anyone that hasnt seen it yet, its plans to make your onw:
diggers,
cement mixers,
concrete block maker,
lathes,
power saws,
router,
grinder,
arc welders,
sand blaster,
limestone road laying machine,
metal bdner,
furnaces,
2 ton press,
anodiser,
etcher,
steam engine,
conveyor belt,
dumper truck,
forklift,
several tractors,
and more

http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

EVEN?

Yeah, sorry, it was copied from another site where a couple of resident
readers are toxophiles.

LOL! I'm not a toxophile but making a longbow isn't rocket science.

Making a good one is a skill which, I believe, can't be taught from a book -
although it could go a long way if read by an intelligent craftsman.

On the other hand, an intelligent craftsman probably wouldn't read such a
book.

sigh

Moight not even be able to read ...

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Guy King wrote:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/index.html

Well, sort of Vintage Projects, really. Plans from 50s and 60s for
things like tools, toys, even archery project

remarkable site!

I like the two home made band saw plans, one made out of plywood and the
other from 2" pipe fittings, two model-T Ford front wheels and a piston
from
the same car - those were the days!

... the days when almost no hobbyist could afford the power tools we
now have, so had to resort to such desperate measures as making their
own, or in nearly all cases, doing without..

Where would be the best place to get the stepped pulleys from?
Maybe buying the £30 aldi drill and extracting them?

I was thinking of building a computer controlled router table, anyone seen
any plans?
The commercial ones are a bit on the expensive side @ ~£6000.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Guy King wrote:

[...]

I'd try a scrapward first, of the assorted kind, not cars. If no luck
there then the usual commercial suppliers, maybe under 'machine' in YP,
or google pulleys. For low power throughput it might be worth gluing
and screwing some ply and machining it.

Are you working from someone elses cnc plans, or starting from scratch?

NT