Posted to uk.d-i-y
DiddyS

Default Drains - How Far Down Are They?

Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window and
I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig them up
or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I don't know
where to find it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

DiddyS wrote:

Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window and
I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig them
up or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I don't
know where to find it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek.

Hi

Find the nearest manhole and lift the cover - should give a guide.

They could be as little as 12", though a couple of foot would be fairly
common.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

DiddyS wrote:
Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window and
I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig them up
or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I don't know
where to find it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek.

The drains will be close too the surface near a loo outflow.

However provided you don't use a digger this is not a problem. They
will be encased in either concrete or gravel, and are strong enough to
take the odd spade..or if not - well you have dug the hole anyway, and
replacing a bit of smashed plastic pipe is no big deal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

DiddyS wrote:
Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window and
I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig them up
or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I don't know
where to find it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek.

I know nothing about this subject, save that on my relatively new-build
house the grey water drain was *very* close to the surface, as it had to
run some five metres before it got to the main drain. So, regardless
of how deep the main drain is I think you'll have to exercise care with
your excavation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

DiddyS wrote:
Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window
and I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig
them up or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I
don't know where to find it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek.

The drains will be close too the surface near a loo outflow.

However provided you don't use a digger this is not a problem. They will
be encased in either concrete or gravel, and are strong enough to take the
odd spade..or if not - well you have dug the hole anyway, and replacing a
bit of smashed plastic pipe is no big deal.

When I extended my 1960's house I found that the drains were not encased in
anything.

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DiddyS

"DiddyS" wrote in message
k...
Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window and
I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig them
up or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I don't
know where to find it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek.

Thanks for all that. The house was built in 1990, so I guess the pipework
could be pretty close to the surface.
I'll just have to proceed carefully and hope for the best.

Thanks,
Derek.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

DiddyS wrote:
"DiddyS" wrote in message
k...
Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window and
I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig them
up or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I don't
know where to find it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek.

Thanks for all that. The house was built in 1990, so I guess the pipework
could be pretty close to the surface.

I'll just have to *proceed carefully* and hope for the best.

No, plan for the worst instead, and be happy when it turns out not to be
so bad.

If you dig down where you have to carefully, avoid the pickaxe, and cut
roots where you have to, damage can be minimised.

Thanks,
Derek.