Senior Member

Default Flimsy axle stand?

I purchased from Screwfix the following pair of axle stands

It has a rated max capacity of 1800 kg each

My problem is that on closer inspection they do not look safe enough to take on the weight of a large car with me working underneath.

The racket is locked in place by a rocking piece of metal that does not penetrate into the racket teeth more than one or perhaps two milimeters.

Also, the lever that unlocks the racket can be pushed up under load (it could happen accidentaly), in which case the whole load crashes down suddenly.

Although the car is less than 2000kg heavy, can anybody that has used this specific type of axle stands tell me how they behave under load?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from asalcedo contains these words:

The racket is locked in place by a rocking piece of metal that does not
penetrate into the racket teeth more than one or perhaps two
milimeters.

That doesn't sound right. Those I've seen the locking bar goes in at
least 1/4".

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Guy King wrote:
The message
from asalcedo contains these words:

The racket is locked in place by a rocking piece of metal that does not
penetrate into the racket teeth more than one or perhaps two
milimeters.

That doesn't sound right. Those I've seen the locking bar goes in at
least 1/4".

I had a pair of those until recently, and the locking bar definitely
went right into the ratchet teeth.

Also, you can't lift it up when it's under load - that's the whole point.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap

On Sat, 27 May 2006 15:41:16 +0100, asalcedo
wrote:

I purchased from Screwfix the following pair of axle stands

It has a rated max capacity of 1800 kg each

My problem is that on closer inspection they do not look safe enough to
take on the weight of a large car with me working underneath.

The racket is locked in place by a rocking piece of metal that does not
penetrate into the racket teeth more than one or perhaps two
milimeters.

Also, the lever that unlocks the racket can be pushed up under load (it
could happen accidentaly), in which case the whole load crashes down
suddenly.

Although the car is less than 2000kg heavy, can anybody that has used
this specific type of axle stands tell me how they behave under load?

Thanks,

Antonio

I have the same ones. The ratchet teeth are actually close on 5mm deep and once
there is weight on the jack, it is extremely difficult to lift the release
lever. Of course this doesn't exclude your particular ones being faulty.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

asalcedo wrote:
I purchased from Screwfix the following pair of axle stands

It has a rated max capacity of 1800 kg each

My problem is that on closer inspection they do not look safe enough to
take on the weight of a large car with me working underneath.

The racket is locked in place by a rocking piece of metal that does not
penetrate into the racket teeth more than one or perhaps two
milimeters.

Also, the lever that unlocks the racket can be pushed up under load (it
could happen accidentaly), in which case the whole load crashes down
suddenly.

Although the car is less than 2000kg heavy, can anybody that has used
this specific type of axle stands tell me how they behave under load?

They sound to be too loud for me :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark S.

wrote:

I purchased from Screwfix the following pair of axle stands

It has a rated max capacity of 1800 kg each

My problem is that on closer inspection they do not look safe enough to
take on the weight of a large car with me working underneath.

The racket is locked in place by a rocking piece of metal that does not
penetrate into the racket teeth more than one or perhaps two
milimeters.

Also, the lever that unlocks the racket can be pushed up under load (it
could happen accidentaly), in which case the whole load crashes down
suddenly.

Although the car is less than 2000kg heavy, can anybody that has used
this specific type of axle stands tell me how they behave under load?

Thanks,

Antonio

Here's one in action. :-)

www.karman.demon.co.uk/GLS03.jpg