william kossack

Default stand for Nova DVR

My outboard tool rest arrived today for my DVR. Tomorrow the DVR should
itself arrive.

I was thinking of using a really light weight sheet metal grizzly stand
as a temperary solution but now that I think of it it may not be strong
enough to support 180 pounds of weight.

Now I'm getting serious about thinking about a stand. How many are
using the sheetmetal stand like I've seen at woodcraft? How many have
constructed a stand from 2x4, 2x6, and 2x8 lumber like shown on the
technatool web page.

I could build the wooden stand in about an hour if it warms up enough to
work outside. Or I could make a pilgrimage to woodcraft and buy the
sheet metal stand (I need to go there anyways to get the correct insert
for my chuck).

One thing is I need to put casters or a portable base on the stand so I
can move it around and then secure it with blocks.

Any suggestions?

George

Mine's out of particleboard. A cabinet weighted with hand tools in storage
and a shellacked MDO top for water shedding. Almost two full sheets of 3/4
board with compartments and shelves, and then the tools, seem to keep the
whole on the floor. Don't need to store sand in my small shop.

One end is fitted with metal casters, which, in normal use, with modestly
tapered kickboards are 1/8" off the floor. The other end has handgrips, so
with tools on the big bench, I can raise the end, placing the casters on the
floor for moving.

"william kossack" wrote in message
My outboard tool rest arrived today for my DVR. Tomorrow the DVR should
itself arrive.

I could build the wooden stand in about an hour if it warms up enough to
work outside. Or I could make a pilgrimage to woodcraft and buy the
sheet metal stand (I need to go there anyways to get the correct insert
for my chuck).

One thing is I need to put casters or a portable base on the stand so I
can move it around and then secure it with blocks.

Any suggestions?

Leslie Gossett

My 300lb Delta lathe is on a heavy sheet metal stand and seems to work quite
well. I don;t know what guage steel it is, but it is heavier then any other
stand I have received with a power tool. If I desired, I would have no
problem adding more weight to it.

Leslie

--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.

[...]

Fred Holder

Hello William,

I built my stand several years ago for a Nova 3000 and then just set my Nova DVR
3000 right on the stand. I built the stand from 2x6 fir and pine boards that I
had on hand. The legs are three boards thick. I built a box that was the depth
of the 2x6's and filled it with railroad spikes and miscellaneous pieces of
steel. I used 2x6's for the top to mount the lathe to and spaced them apart so
that chips could fall through and not accumulate under the bed of the lathe.
When I added a bed extension, I simply extended the bed with a 2x6 add on. I've
turned some pretty heavy stuff and it is as solid as a rock.

When we were in New Zealand last spring, we stayed with Dick Veitch, who also
had a Nova DVR 3000. His was on a metal stand and equipped with casters. He
loaded it into a trailer and toted it all over. The casters swung out of the way
as I recall to let the lathe set solidly on the floor. It looked like a heavier
metal stand than what Woodcraft sells, but may have been the same stand. I
suspect it was made by Teknatool.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article OyCUb.231590$xy6.1191668@attbi_s02, william kossack says...

[...]

Rob V

I have the DVR stand at woodcraft.
I added a shelf to it and added 300 lbs of sand to the shelf - its solid at
hell.
Also added flip down casters when I need to move it.
(I use a lever to lift it so the casters flip down)

It works great.

[...]

Peter Teubel

"william kossack" wrote in message
My outboard tool rest arrived today for my DVR. Tomorrow the DVR should
itself arrive.

I could build the wooden stand in about an hour if it warms up enough to
work outside. Or I could make a pilgrimage to woodcraft and buy the
sheet metal stand (I need to go there anyways to get the correct insert
for my chuck).

One thing is I need to put casters or a portable base on the stand so I
can move it around and then secure it with blocks.

Any suggestions?

My stand holds both my Nova DVR and my Grizzly 1067 (hey, I got it for real short money used). The top is 3" thick hard maple
(60"x28"). Its sitting on a frame made from laminated 2x4s (each leg and all stretchers are 6"x4") and everything is mortise/tenon
construction. A shelf is available for putting more weight if needed, but the entire unit (including the lathes) weighs close to
400lbs already. So far, there is no need for more weight. Keep in mind that I rough turn almost everything FIRST on my 1500lb
Faye-Scott pattern maker's lathe.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Rob V

Take a look at the NWY work table he did w/ the flip down casters.

Used that idea but adopted it to the base.
I posted pics a while ago - If I get a chance - Ill post them again.

-R

Rob V wrote:

[...]

guy

I made what was essentially a plywood box filled with sand for my old
Nova, with the lathe it weighed about 500 pounds +/-. I attached
wheels to the feet. I would wheel it around and used an old car jack
to lift it a touch and put a piece of plywood under each foot to get
the wheels off the ground. It was very solid and low $$. The stand at
Woodcraft looks good and you can easily beef it up by closing the
sides in with plywood and add more weight by using sand. When I took a
turning class at Woodcraft a couple years ago I used a Nova on the
metal stand and it worked just fine. Just a thought though, how about
those cast iron legs that Teknatool has now for the DVR and 3000? They
look real good and solid. I'm sure you would have to order from
Woodcraft. If I wasn't selling my Nova that's what I would probably
get. Take it easy, Guy

william kossack

The new legs do look nice but not listed by woodcraft yet.

I was thinking the way to get them was with my 10 percent birthday card
in the fall after my wallet
has recovered a bit.

guy wrote:

I made what was essentially a plywood box filled with sand for my old
Nova, with the lathe it weighed about 500 pounds +/-. I attached
wheels to the feet. I would wheel it around and used an old car jack
to lift it a touch and put a piece of plywood under each foot to get
the wheels off the ground. It was very solid and low $$. The stand at
Woodcraft looks good and you can easily beef it up by closing the
sides in with plywood and add more weight by using sand. When I took a
turning class at Woodcraft a couple years ago I used a Nova on the
metal stand and it worked just fine. Just a thought though, how about
those cast iron legs that Teknatool has now for the DVR and 3000? They
look real good and solid. I'm sure you would have to order from
Woodcraft. If I wasn't selling my Nova that's what I would probably
get. Take it easy, Guy

william kossack

today I went to woodcraft and looked at the sheetmetal stand they have.
I decided that the main problem with the sheetmetal stand is making it
portable. I decided to build my own from 2x lumber using a wheelbarrow
approach. I managed to get all the necessary parts including some
wheels and make the first couple leg sections before it go too cold and
I had to shut down. Tomorrow or the next day with acceptable weather
I'll finish it and mount the DVR on top.