Posted to uk.d-i-y
paulcurt

Default Recessed lights UNDER bathroom

Whilst fitting some recessed lights, we came across a snag. The lights
at one point are just below the bathroom, and specifically the shower
pan, with the drain RIGHT underneath!

I am assuming this will be a safety issue, and as such, what is the way
around this?

Fix the hole back up and locate the spot elsewhere (tricky as the
entire bathroom upstairs runs along this part of the downstairs room).
Either have no spots there, or bunch them up somewhere else under the
bathroom but not under any pipes or drainage pipes?

Fit the light, as it is? I am pretty sure this isn't a good idea but
bow to superior knowledge in this instance.

Fit some kind of sealed unit in that space. How does the sealed unit
work, and is it possible to use the current front casing (it is a
specific colour). Will that ensure safety (duh!).

Or any other suggestions gratefully received.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

paulcurt wrote:
[...]

dunno, but aren't they low voltage lights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John McLean

"paulcurt" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The lights are not within the bathroom zones from what you describe, I don't
see a problem.
Jaymack

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Thu, 25 May 2006 19:46:49 +0100, John McLean wrote:

"paulcurt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst fitting some recessed lights, we came across a snag. The lights
at one point are just below the bathroom, and specifically the shower
pan, with the drain RIGHT underneath!
I am assuming this will be a safety issue, and as such, what is the way
around this?

The lights are not within the bathroom zones from what you describe, I don't
see a problem.

Agreed, but you probably don't want a halogen lamp just inches below a
plastic waste pipe if you want the water to stay inside the pipework.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paulcurt wrote:

[...]

I'm seeing 3 issues:

1. electricity meets water
solvable by using 12v lights and putting the transformer out teh way

2. lamp melts pipe
3. lamp ses fire to pipe
both solvable with an aluminium plate above the fitting to spread the
heat out, deflect hot air and reduce surface temp. This would need a
bigger hole than the fitting to get it in place though.

4. water meets halogen lamp which explodes
shape the ali so any drips stay off the lightbulb.

Would be better to pick a better type of lighting, but I assume you
want halo.

NT