Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bernie

Default Changing water heating system with minimal upheaval

My wife and I live in a very small flat, which we plan to sell some
time but only after trying to maximise its value.

At present our source of hot water is an old boiler with an immerser,
which has now packed up. (We do have a heated shower).

We don't really want to get another immerser because it's
inadequate for our needs and so inefficient. However, we are both
cringing at the thought of having our whole flat turned upside down to
make a change.

Ideally, we want to replace the boiler with a gas heated system that
gives us hot water on demand to the kitchen and bathroom. If possible,
it should be suitable for running a central heating system at a later
date though we don't really need it for our flat.

Would it be possible to just have the boiler ripped out and the
remaining space used for a gas boiler, without all the floor boards
being ripped up. The existing boiler is next to an external wall. The
only other likely site would be below the bathroom window on the
opposite side of the flat.

There is a link to a very rough diagram of the layout he

http://i4.tinypic.com/10gfo5g.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we don't have any
experience in such things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Would it be possible to just have the boiler ripped out and the
remaining space used for a gas boiler, without all the floor boards
being ripped up. The existing boiler is next to an external wall. The
only other likely site would be below the bathroom window on the
opposite side of the flat.

Should be no problem. They can be a bit noisy at night, but this is much
less of a problem in a 1 bed flat, as by definition a combi boiler will only
be making noise when it is producing hot water for the user of that room.

It might be possible to use the bathroom, but it this will be subject to
zoning issues which can sometimes be insurmountable in a small room. It
might also require a tortuous gas run. By placing in the existing location,
all the water pipework will be nearby and it is close to where you say gas
is available. It will also require a drainage connection, but this should be
obtainable from the adjacent kitchen.

Make sure you choose a condensing combi with = 28kW. Baths will probably
fill more slowly than with your existing system. However, if you replace
your electric shower with a thermostatic pressure balancing mixer shower,
the performance will be in a different leagure to any electric one.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bernie

Christian McArdle wrote:

Should be no problem. They can be a bit noisy at night, but this is much
less of a problem in a 1 bed flat, as by definition a combi boiler will only
be making noise when it is producing hot water for the user of that room.

Make sure you choose a condensing combi with = 28kW. Baths will probably
fill more slowly than with your existing system. However, if you replace
your electric shower with a thermostatic pressure balancing mixer shower,
the performance will be in a different leagure to any electric one.

Christian.

Brilliant. Just the sort of information I was hoping for. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 23 May 2006 06:32:41 -0700 someone who may be "Bernie"
wrote this:-

Ideally, we want to replace the boiler with a gas heated system that
gives us hot water on demand to the kitchen and bathroom.

In a small flat a combination boiler is generally the best way of
heating water and running central heating. It should be possible to
have one with the heating blanked off for future use and only
running the hot water part.

You will need mains water running to the boiler. Is the immersion
heater inside a hot water cylinder with a small cold water tank
above it? If so then a mains water pipe will run to the proposed
boiler location. You may well be able to re-use the existing hot
water pipework and all that you would need is a gas pipe to the
bedroom.

How are the cold taps and toilet fed?

If possible,
it should be suitable for running a central heating system at a later
date though we don't really need it for our flat.

Heating domestic water is the critical part of a combination boiler.
Running heating is the least demanding bit. I wouldn't skimp on the
boiler capacity because of the small potential heating load, someone
may spot this in a survey.

What is on the other side of the bedroom wall and how high up is it?

I would avoid the gas board. They charge about twice what others do
and don't do a better job.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Bernie wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:

Should be no problem. They can be a bit noisy at night, but this is much
less of a problem in a 1 bed flat, as by definition a combi boiler will only
be making noise when it is producing hot water for the user of that room.

Make sure you choose a condensing combi with = 28kW. Baths will probably
fill more slowly than with your existing system. However, if you replace
your electric shower with a thermostatic pressure balancing mixer shower,
the performance will be in a different leagure to any electric one.

Christian.

Brilliant. Just the sort of information I was hoping for. Thanks.

I would go along with what Christian said. I would also suggest you do a
quick test with a bucket and a stopwatch to make sure that you have
decent flow rate from you mains cold water supply (since this can be one
stumbling block to getting reasonable performance froma combi boiler).
If you get 20 litres/min or better then you are laughing. 15 - 20 is
marginal but may be ok. Any less than that and I would think again.

--
Cheers,

John.