Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mighty Magpie

Default Wanted - narrow uplighters for my kitchen

Hello, I want to obtain two uplighters for my kitchen. I would like to get
some which resemble half a cup, stuck on the wall but it seem that the ones
which are generally available, are all too wide. I would prefer them to be
about 180mm to 210mm long (7 or 8 inches)

Can someone please recommend a place to look?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Mighty Magpie mighty.magpie@home wrote:
Hello, I want to obtain two uplighters for my kitchen. I would like to get
some which resemble half a cup, stuck on the wall but it seem that the ones
which are generally available, are all too wide. I would prefer them to be
about 180mm to 210mm long (7 or 8 inches)

Can someone please recommend a place to look?

Too wide?
If I was to make a couple of uplighters, I'd take the 2 * 11W
CFL floodlights I bought from morrisons, for 3.49 total, and make a
couple of half-cone holders to go onto the wall out of probably sheet
aluminium, or cardboard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mighty Magpie" mighty.magpie@home contains these words:

Hello, I want to obtain two uplighters for my kitchen. I would like to get
some which resemble half a cup, stuck on the wall but it seem that the ones
which are generally available, are all too wide. I would prefer them to be
about 180mm to 210mm long (7 or 8 inches)

You'll be lucky. A GLS shape light bulb and a socket for it to go in are
about 6 inches. Leave a bit of space so it doesn't get too hot, plus the
thickness of the ceramic and you're over that already.

How about some of these?

Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mighty Magpie wrote:
Hello, I want to obtain two uplighters for my kitchen. I would like to get
some which resemble half a cup, stuck on the wall but it seem that the ones
which are generally available, are all too wide. I would prefer them to be
about 180mm to 210mm long (7 or 8 inches)

Can someone please recommend a place to look?

TIA

half cup uplighters give a light source much too close to the wall. The
result is the plasterwork looks bad and there is glare from the wall.

The usual wall spotlights on short stalks make quite good uplighters,
their only treal limitation being that the small size permits a max of
about 7w cfls. So, use 2. Standard R80 spots are about 3.5" wide.

NT