Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim2000

Default New boiler condensate pipe plumbing - advice please

I plan to plumb the condensate pipe from my new boiler into the waste
pipe that currently serves the kitchen sink, the washer and the
dishwasher.

Having looked at old topics on this group, it seems I may need a trap -
no problem.

What I am worried about is drain water travelling under pressure up the
condensate pipe to the boiler when the washer and dishwasher are
pumping dirty water out at the same time. Goodness knows what this
would do to the boiler. I guess negative pressures could be a problem
as well.

Does anyone know if this is this a realistic concern, and is there
anything that can be done? Maybe some sort of mini air admitance valve
like the ones you get for soil pipes?

The boiler is only about 2 foot higher than the top of the washer and
the appliences are sealed to the waste with clips. The waste joins a
ventilated soil stack outside.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
andyv

I had a minor concern about this situation too, but reasoned that if it
was going to be a problem then the washing machine waste would first of
all pump up though the sink trap.

As it doesn't, no probs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 18 May 2006 04:56:04 -0700 someone who may be "jim2000"
wrote this:-

Having looked at old topics on this group, it seems I may need a trap -
no problem.

Read the boiler instructions. Many have a trap built in.

What I am worried about is drain water travelling under pressure up the
condensate pipe to the boiler when the washer and dishwasher are
pumping dirty water out at the same time.

Unless the level of the boiler outlet is close to that of the
existing waste pipe then that will almost certainly not be a
problem. If it was a problem water would come back up your sink plug
hole in this situation.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

I used one of those clamp on waste connectors designed for washing
machine waste hose. It has a one-way valve.

dg

LPG Combi Boiler advice. [email protected] UK diy 7 February 1st 06 10:34 PM
Removing old boiler (1989) and HW cylinder, putting new one in kitchen and all pipe works - how much? kiich UK diy 66 August 8th 05 11:28 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM