Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring in a new cooker

Having recently bought a new cooker from John Lewis, I'm about to wire
it in.

Having looked at the back of the cooker, it has a terminal block for me
to connect to. The problem is, coming out of the live connector is a
blue wire, and coming out of the neutral is a brown wire (so the wrong
way round).

So, my problem is, when wiring in - do I match the wire colours up, or
follow what it says on the connector block. To me they have got it
wrong - but I can't get through to anyone on the phone who can help.

So - 1. does it matter if I do it the wrong way round (after all we do
work on AC)?
2. anyway I can check which is really the live and which is the
netural?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

So, my problem is, when wiring in - do I match the wire colours up, or
follow what it says on the connector block. To me they have got it
wrong - but I can't get through to anyone on the phone who can help.

Definitely check with the manufacturer. I suspect the cable colours are more
likely correct. However, I simply wouldn't connect to this until the
terminal block and cable colours are corrected. It would be dangerous to get
them the wrong way round and might cause interference with electronic
devices, too.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
Having looked at the back of the cooker, it has a terminal block for me
to connect to. The problem is, coming out of the live connector is a
blue wire, and coming out of the neutral is a brown wire (so the wrong
way round).

So, my problem is, when wiring in - do I match the wire colours up, or
follow what it says on the connector block. To me they have got it
wrong - but I can't get through to anyone on the phone who can help.

So - 1. does it matter if I do it the wrong way round (after all we do
work on AC)?
2. anyway I can check which is really the live and which is the
netural?

You might get a clue by tracing the wiring to a switch etc. If a single
pole type this will be in the line.

As a guess, I'd go for the wires simply being crossed at the block, but
the right colours.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd follow the trace the wiring but most likely the wire colours are
right and have been stuck the wrong way round in the block.

My guess (and this is just a guess, I've taken no cookers apart to
check) is that each ring and oven/grill is controlled by a seperate
triac and the incoming live wire is hooked to each one, these then go
to each heating element, and the neutral side are all hooked together
and back to the incoming neutral wire.

So if you wired it wrongly - although it would work as expected - it
would mean the heating elements were permanently live.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 16 May 2006 14:07:03 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

I agree. However the OP should wire the line to whatever terminal says L
regardless of the colour the manufacturer used internally.
The 45A DP switch will take care of any "isolation for maintenance" issues.

Cooker installation is notifiable - thanks to the ODPM (office for
destroying practical methods)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

news

wrote:
[...]

I do not think a cooker "swap" is notifiable. Although the OP has not said
if it is a swap or new installation

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

David Hansen wrote:
someone who may be ian.beaumont wrote this:-
Having looked at the back of the cooker, it has a terminal block for me
to connect to. The problem is, coming out of the live connector is a
blue wire, and coming out of the neutral is a brown wire (so the wrong
way round).

So, my problem is, when wiring in - do I match the wire colours up, or
follow what it says on the connector block.

I would do neither. The cooker you have purchased is not built
properly, take this up with John Lewis. It is for them to deal with
their sub-contractor.

I read the OP wrong. I agree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks people for all the quick feedback.

You made me feel uncomfitable enough to not want to progress with the
wiring. Eventually I got John Lewis to listen, and they basically said
follow the colours, and wire the blue to the live.

He said at worst if it was the wrong way round it would just trip the
fuse - which is a bit different to what you people have said.

Anyway, I was surprised that he was willing to tell me to just wire it
wrong without sending out anyone to inspect, and he offered me a
replacement instead. So that is what I've gone for. A bit over the
top, but if they aren't willing to send anyone out to check it then I'm
not happy with the possiblity it could be wired wrongly.

It makes you wonder what sort of checks are performed before this stuff
is shipped.

Maybe I should have pushed for the free meals as well :-)

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm VERY surprised by that advice. I doubt any qualified electrical
engineer would give that advice on any electrical equipment that has
been sold by their company - particularly over the phone - and to a
customer. I also doubt that all possible wiring faults would trip a
fuse (you might have old-fashioned 30A wire fuses for all they know).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I also doubt that all possible wiring faults would trip a fuse
(you might have old-fashioned 30A wire fuses for all they know).

Indeed. The most obvious wiring fault in this case is very unlikely to blow
a fuse. It may well be very dangerous, though, depending on the cooker
design.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
You made me feel uncomfitable enough to not want to progress with the
wiring. Eventually I got John Lewis to listen, and they basically said
follow the colours, and wire the blue to the live.

He said at worst if it was the wrong way round it would just trip the
fuse - which is a bit different to what you people have said.

It's very unlikely you spoke to any form of technician on the phone.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:57:40 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

David Hansen wrote:
someone who may be ian.beaumont wrote this:-
Having looked at the back of the cooker, it has a terminal block for me
to connect to. The problem is, coming out of the live connector is a
blue wire, and coming out of the neutral is a brown wire (so the wrong
way round).

So, my problem is, when wiring in - do I match the wire colours up, or
follow what it says on the connector block.

I would do neither. The cooker you have purchased is not built
properly, take this up with John Lewis. It is for them to deal with
their sub-contractor.

I read the OP wrong. I agree.

Is there any requirement for an appliance manufacturer to use the same
scheme that fixed wiring would require.
In many countries where this appliance might be sold polarity is not
respected.

Electric cooker connection petek UK diy 8 March 8th 05 11:23 PM
about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:33 PM
help kitchen cooker wiring belgarion UK diy 5 March 2nd 04 12:05 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Cooker hood wiring again! John Greenwood UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:10 AM