Peter Watson

Default General Combi-boiler heating query

In article e.co.uk,
Andy Jeffries says...

Our house is reasonably cold (no loft). We had a combi-boiler fitted in
April (just after moving in) and haven't had to use it in anger yet.

I am tempted to get 5 thermostatic radiator valves from Screwfix and
(learn to) fit them myself.

If I do this are we better having the heating on 24/7 during the winter as
the flow would only occur if the rooms are colder than set (and therefore
the combi-boiler should only fire up when the water in the system cools
too much)? Or should we have the combi-boiler come on at set intervals
during the day/night?

I'd hope the former as it would help keep a constant temperature, but am I
right about the combi-boiler not firing all the time? If not, surely this
would hammer the heating bill...

Cheers,

Andy

It sounds like you need a room thermostat on your system! Of your two
options the timed mode is best but a thermostat will allow you to do the
job properly...

Peter
BillR

Peter Watson wrote:
[...]

Wiring up a living room stat to a combi in the kitchen is often tricky so
this is why installers take the easy option of fitting TRVs in every room.
I fitted a wireless programmable stat which is the bees-knees but these cost
£80 upwards.
By the way, building regs say you must have TRVs or a thermostat in every
room. i.e. you cannot have uncontrolled heating as you have at the moment.

dgm

"BillR" wrote in message ...

snip

By the way, building regs say you must have TRVs or a thermostat in every
room. i.e. you cannot have uncontrolled heating as you have at the moment.

Hi Bill

that's very misleading, building regs only tell you what you are
allowed to do for a new build/installation or major alteration.

While not a very good system, and certainly not one to be encouraged,
the OP is perfectly entitled to continue with an uncontrolled system
if they so desire.

cheers

David
Andy Jeffries

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:47:02 -0700, dgm wrote:
By the way, building regs say you must have TRVs or a thermostat in every
room. i.e. you cannot have uncontrolled heating as you have at the moment.

Hi Bill

that's very misleading, building regs only tell you what you are
allowed to do for a new build/installation or major alteration.

While not a very good system, and certainly not one to be encouraged,
the OP is perfectly entitled to continue with an uncontrolled system
if they so desire.

Thanks for the comment David (although that won't help me justify the cost
of the TRV's to the wife!).

What's your opinion: non-TRV on a timer or TRV and on constantly?

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Jeffries

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 11:35:27 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Replacing the boiler, as was done for the OP, counts as just
such a major alteration for this purpose. Since April 2001,
you aren't allowed to do that without bringing all the rest
of the heating system up to current building regs.

Yay! I'm back to justifying the cost of the TRVs to the wife easily.

Cheers,

Andy

Suz

Yay! I'm back to justifying the cost of the TRVs to the wife easily.

Cheers,

Andy

And the cost of some great big shiny new tools to do it?

Suzanne

Recommendations for a New Combi Boiler Les Gaz UK diy 8 September 3rd 03 09:13 PM
Combi boiler advice, please Dave Jennings UK diy 7 August 26th 03 05:00 PM
Combi Boiler / poor pressure brucej UK diy 12 August 21st 03 08:55 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM