Peter Watson

Default General Combi-boiler heating query

In article e.co.uk,
Andy Jeffries says...

Our house is reasonably cold (no loft). We had a combi-boiler fitted in
April (just after moving in) and haven't had to use it in anger yet.

I am tempted to get 5 thermostatic radiator valves from Screwfix and
(learn to) fit them myself.

If I do this are we better having the heating on 24/7 during the winter as
the flow would only occur if the rooms are colder than set (and therefore
the combi-boiler should only fire up when the water in the system cools
too much)? Or should we have the combi-boiler come on at set intervals
during the day/night?

I'd hope the former as it would help keep a constant temperature, but am I
right about the combi-boiler not firing all the time? If not, surely this
would hammer the heating bill...

Cheers,

Andy

It sounds like you need a room thermostat on your system! Of your two
options the timed mode is best but a thermostat will allow you to do the
job properly...

Peter