Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow

Default OT Escape from Castle NTL

Dave wrote:
There was a time I thought the NTL 3 in 1 idea a good one (TV, Phone and
internet). This was indeed a good deal and for a couple of years and it's worked
pretty well. But things are changing.

snip
Well, that's the background. What to you think the chances of me escaping Castle
NTL?

Well, I had to do it as I moved from the Parched South to the Frozen
North. There is no NTL cable (or even Gas) in the road in my Cumbrian
village.

I wanted broadband, since I had been using NTL's cable broadband in the
south. Almost all BT telephone exchanges have ADSL capability, so
moving your phones back to BT gives you access to a whole heap of ISP's
who offer cheap broadband deals, from about £20 pcm (after the initial
discounted period), but you will need to buy an ADSL modem - if you are
already using an ethernet connection then an ADSL router is probably the
best bet as your PC is already wired for it. (I'm using Freedom2Surf
and no complaints)

In the end I opted for SKY for the TV, as there is no Freeview here, and
I will probably convert to FreeSky when the initial year is up. 600
channels and STILL only BBC2 with anything on (although I quite like
Discovery Real Time for DIY stuff :-).

I guess I'm paying £40 here for what was costing £30 before, but I do
get Sky for that, and the ADSL seems faster than the cable. F2S don't
send me interminable offers either - this is worth quite a bit!

R.

Fire Escape Rusting abd08 UK diy 25 May 10th 06 11:12 PM
OT-: Castle Rock v. Gonzales. Of interest to everyone. Gunner Metalworking 46 July 27th 05 07:20 AM
For info - building regs on loo/kitchen/fire escape routes lyn rivers UK diy 1 January 27th 05 04:18 PM
Steel Staircase / Fire Escape Pecanfan UK diy 7 September 7th 04 07:50 PM