Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.consumers
Epetruk

Default Renovating a flat

Hello,

First of all, my apologies for the many questions in this post.

I'm looking to carry out extensive renovation of my flat over the next few
months. Specifically, the projects I'm looking to carry out a

- Replacing my existing windows with double-glazed windows

- Replacing my bathroom fittings

- Replacing my kitchen fittings

- Wallpapering (and some plastering)

I'll be looking to get workmen to do this, as I don't consider myself
skilled enough in the arts of DIY to attempt this myself.

My questions a

- Is there a specific order in which it would be advisory to carry out these
projects? For example, I was wondering whether I should only do the
wallpapering after the kitchen and bathroom fitting have been taken out, and
before they have been put back, but I don't know whether this is possible
unless the person doing the kitchen and bathroom work is also the same
person doing the wallpapering. Is this possible to arrange?

- Regarding fitting in double-glazing, is this something that I'm likely to
need planning permission for?

- Do most double glazing providers also include fitting the windows as part
of their service, or will I be expected to get someone else to do this?

- Is there likely to be a problem getting an exact replacement for the
windows I currently have? Some of the sizes seem to be regular enough (i.e.
dimensions in whole feet), but if this were not the case, would I be able to
get custom built windows?

- Regarding kitchen fitting, I'm just looking to replace the storage
fittings (i.e. cabinets and worktops) and the sink - I'm happy with the
cooker and fridge I've got. Can I assume that most kitchen fitters can do
this, or does everything have to be replaced?

- Any (even rough) idea as to how much it would cost to carry out this kind
of work on a kitchen that's about 10 feet by 8 feet?

- Can I ask for extra work to be done, like some carpentry work around the
boiler?

- Typically how long might this work take?

- Regarding the bathroom fitting, will most fitters just replace fittings,
or could they also include include floor and wall coverings?

- Typically how long might this work take?

- Regarding the double glazing, bathroom and kitchen work, typically how
long might each take?

- I've had a look at www.consumerdirect.gov.uk on advice on choosing someone
to do the work. It says sensible things like ensuring that the workmen
belong to a recognised body and have insurance, not to hand over huge
deposits, shopping around and getting a written spec of the work that needs
to be done. Is there anything else I need to look out for in choosing
someone to do this work?

That's all for now. Again, sorry for the many questions - I'm going to be
spending a lot of money, and I'd hate to make the wrong decisions because I
didn't have the correct information. If you need me to clarify anything I've
asked, or would like to point me to a website where I can get related info,
please do.

Cheers,

--
Akin

(aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)