Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doki

Default Flourescent tube - no starter?

The flourescent tube in the shed won't start. And there doesn't seem to be a
starter fitted to the lamp anywhere. Does it have an integrated starter or
something (no, I haven't removed the starter)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Doki" writes:
The flourescent tube in the shed won't start. And there doesn't seem to be a
starter fitted to the lamp anywhere. Does it have an integrated starter or
something (no, I haven't removed the starter)?

There are a number of types of fluorescent tube control gear,
and only one of them (albeit, a common one) uses a starter.
Can you describe how it used to start when it worked? The
control gear type which uses a starter usually flashes on and
off a few times during starting, whereas other types don't
start like that. What is the symptom of failing to start?
Also, what's the tube length and wattage?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Sometimes the starter is concealed behind the tube. Jave you taken the tube
out to check behind it?

Andy

"Doki" wrote in message
The flourescent tube in the shed won't start. And there doesn't seem to be
a starter fitted to the lamp anywhere. Does it have an integrated starter
or something (no, I haven't removed the starter)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doki

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doki" writes:
The flourescent tube in the shed won't start. And there doesn't seem to
be a
starter fitted to the lamp anywhere. Does it have an integrated starter
or
something (no, I haven't removed the starter)?

There are a number of types of fluorescent tube control gear,
and only one of them (albeit, a common one) uses a starter.
Can you describe how it used to start when it worked? The
control gear type which uses a starter usually flashes on and
off a few times during starting, whereas other types don't
start like that. What is the symptom of failing to start?
Also, what's the tube length and wattage?

No idea at all. It's been in the shed years, and it's been on the blink for
a very long time. I'll get on a ladder tomorrow...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doki wrote:
The flourescent tube in the shed won't start. And there doesn't seem to
be a starter fitted to the lamp anywhere. Does it have an integrated
starter or something (no, I haven't removed the starter)?

Probably what's known as a quick start ballast - no starter.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

"Doki" writes:
The flourescent tube in the shed won't start. And there doesn't seem to
be a
starter fitted to the lamp anywhere. Does it have an integrated starter
or
something (no, I haven't removed the starter)?

There are a number of types of fluorescent tube control gear,
and only one of them (albeit, a common one) uses a starter.
Can you describe how it used to start when it worked? The
control gear type which uses a starter usually flashes on and
off a few times during starting, whereas other types don't
start like that. What is the symptom of failing to start?
Also, what's the tube length and wattage?

No idea at all. It's been in the shed years, and it's been on the blink for
a very long time. I'll get on a ladder tomorrow...

Probably is an old choke and starter 50hz type then.

They are so cheap, it may be worth scrapping the lot and buying a new one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doki

"Doki" writes:
[...]

Well, going by the look of the light switch (black bakelite type stuff)...
We might have a more modern one knocking around in the other shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
The flourescent tube in the shed won't start. And there doesn't seem to be a
starter fitted to the lamp anywhere. Does it have an integrated starter or
something (no, I haven't removed the starter)?

Assuming youve replaced the tube and checked the replacement has intact
filaments, poor tube holder connections are fairly common. But you can
buy a new glowstart fitting for single figures, so unless the fitting
is unusual....

NT

Flourescent Tube delay. Mike Hibbert UK diy 16 December 23rd 05 05:21 PM
Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
flourescent tube colour washing? N. Thornton UK diy 10 April 5th 04 09:28 PM
Tech Review: Victor's (8liners/Genao) Replacement Arcade RGB Monitor Chassis (LONG) Pac-Fan Electronics Repair 22 November 26th 03 12:56 PM
Fluorescent light tube starter Mark UK diy 6 November 14th 03 11:09 PM