Posted to uk.d-i-y
ckeely

Default Can't deal with moss

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Herber

On 8 May 2006 16:29:58 -0700, "ckeely" wrote:

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Moss is a sign of clean air and a healthy atmosphere, besides, it's
building up coal reserves for future generation/species!
Best way to remove moss from a lawn is to rake it. Good exercise too.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

ups.com...

Get in your RV and choke the **** out of it?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom

What's wrong with moss? Anyway it's just a fact of life in this climate
- and more so in Ireland or Wales where it's wetter and warmer. And
lichen too. Learn to love it.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"ckeely" wrote:
Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

You can buy moss killer for use on paths and masonry from Wilkinsons and the
usual DIY/gardening centres. Lawn moss killer is also available usually
combined with a lawn fertiliser and general weed killer. I have used both
types and they worked fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My old bungalow had a thick blanket of roof moss on the South side
apart from the area around sloping down from the chimney - I believe
due to the copper flashing. I'm sure I read adding a copper strip along
the roof ridge can be effective over a wide area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

ckeely wrote:

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog standard
moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 09 May 2006 07:36:30 +0100, Tim S wrote:

|ckeely wrote:
|
| Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
| US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
| brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!
|
|Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog standard
|moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Do nothing, it looks nice. In the West Riding, we encourage algae on York
Stone. The recipe used to be cow muck. water and soot. Nowadays we are
more refined and use milk or watered down Yoghurt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow

ckeely wrote:
Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

I was told by a roofer, but can't confirm from experience, that running
a bare copper wire along the highest point of the roof will inhibit moss
and lichen. Something about copper salts in the downwash.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do nothing, it looks nice.

There comes a point where it's blocking your gutters all the time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

wrote:
Do nothing, it looks nice.

There comes a point where it's blocking your gutters all the time!

And slimy moss on paths in wet winter weather is dangerous, especially to
disabled/elderly people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
andyv

I get a load of moss on my north facing garage roof. It rolls off and
clogs the gutter and gets squashed on the driveway. It doesn't appear
on the sunny side though - maybe because it dries out quicker.

I like the copper strip idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "ckeely" contains these words:

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

It's a natural feature of living somewhere with weather instead of climate.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Phil Anthropist wrote:
"ckeely" wrote:

You can buy moss killer for use on paths and masonry from Wilkinsons and the
usual DIY/gardening centres. Lawn moss killer is also available usually
combined with a lawn fertiliser and general weed killer. I have used both
types and they worked fine.

But for a limited period only, like a year.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"normanwisdom" wrote in message
ups.com...

Get in your RV and choke the **** out of it?

What's wrong with moss? Anyway it's just a fact of life in this climate
- and more so in Ireland or Wales where it's wetter and warmer. And
lichen too. Learn to love it.

cheers
Jacob

Were the 'subtleties' of my post lost on you?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

VisionSet wrote:
"normanwisdom" wrote in message
ups.com...

Get in your RV and choke the **** out of it?

What's wrong with moss? Anyway it's just a fact of life in this climate
- and more so in Ireland or Wales where it's wetter and warmer. And
lichen too. Learn to love it.

cheers
Jacob

Were the 'subtleties' of my post lost on you?

--
Mike W

:-) Not on me. I suspect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Holmes

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
Do nothing, it looks nice.

There comes a point where it's blocking your gutters all the time!

And slimy moss on paths in wet winter weather is dangerous, especially to
disabled/elderly people.

Grumble, grumble, I wanted to say that!

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Alan Holmes" wroete:
Grumble, grumble, I wanted to say that!

Alan

Sorry Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 09 May 2006 12:53:26 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

|"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
| wrote:
| Do nothing, it looks nice.
|
| There comes a point where it's blocking your gutters all the time!
|
| And slimy moss on paths in wet winter weather is dangerous, especially to
| disabled/elderly people.
|
|Grumble, grumble, I wanted to say that!

Grumble grumble, why do you assume that all elderly have physical problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom

VisionSet wrote:
"normanwisdom" wrote in message
ups.com...

Get in your RV and choke the **** out of it?

What's wrong with moss? Anyway it's just a fact of life in this climate
- and more so in Ireland or Wales where it's wetter and warmer. And
lichen too. Learn to love it.

cheers
Jacob

Were the 'subtleties' of my post lost on you?

--
Mike W

Didn't notice any subtleties! But I was replying to the OP I thought.
cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom

Phil Anthropist wrote:
wrote:
Do nothing, it looks nice.

There comes a point where it's blocking your gutters all the time!

And slimy moss on paths in wet winter weather is dangerous, especially to
disabled/elderly people.

Don't they have sticks/crutches etc?

cheers
Norm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race

Tim S wrote:
ckeely wrote:

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog standard
moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Tim

That would be Ferrous chloride, if you can get it. Ferrous sulphate is
readily available and effective at about ioz in a can of water on the
lawn. Add the same amount of sulphate of ammonia to encourage the grass
to grow. This tratment turns the moss black.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
ckeely wrote:

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in

the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on

the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog

standard
moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Tim

That would be Ferrous chloride, if you can get it. Ferrous sulphate

is
readily available and effective at about ioz in a can of water on

the
lawn. Add the same amount of sulphate of ammonia to encourage the

grass
to grow. This tratment turns the moss black.

Malcolm

For the shingles Copper wire and let rain wash over it and slowly dose
the moss with copper sulphate produced as the slightly acid rain
reacts with the copper

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Malcolm Race wrote:

Tim S wrote:
ckeely wrote:

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog standard
moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Tim

That would be Ferrous chloride, if you can get it. Ferrous sulphate is
readily available and effective at about ioz in a can of water on the
lawn. Add the same amount of sulphate of ammonia to encourage the grass
to grow. This tratment turns the moss black.

Malcolm

Yes you're right - silly me, it's years since I used it - effective
nonetheless.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Tim S wrote:
ckeely wrote:

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog standard
moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Tim

That would be Ferrous chloride, if you can get it. Ferrous sulphate is
readily available and effective at about ioz in a can of water on the
lawn. Add the same amount of sulphate of ammonia to encourage the grass
to grow. This tratment turns the moss black.

Which is very pretty.

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"ckeely" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

If you don't like English flora you shouldn't have moved here. Moss is a
small price to pay for all the benefits.

Not that I can see a problem with moss - I wish I could grow it :-(

I can't grow daises and coltsfoot either.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Mary Fisher wrote:
"ckeely" wrotem...
Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

If you don't like English flora you shouldn't have moved here. Moss is a
small price to pay for all the benefits.

Hey! "ckeely"!!! You could stuff the moss into your ears, and
keep out useless wittering!!! Know what I mean?

If it's in your garden, you could try to improve light and
drainage which might affect it... uk.rec.gardening may be
useful (and is not, AFAIK, so much useless wittering).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Grumble grumble, why do you assume that all elderly have physical problems.

The experince of age is largely one of accumulating enough physical
problems to cause death.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Tim S wrote:
ckeely wrote:

[...]

Copper carbonate actually.

Unless it rains battery acid in your part of the world..

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelous

Tim S wrote:
ckeely wrote:

[...]

It probably does from the sulphates coming out of coal burning power
stations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelous

On Tue, 09 May 2006 07:46:20 +0100, TheOldFellow
wrote:

ckeely wrote:
Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

I was told by a roofer, but can't confirm from experience, that running
a bare copper wire along the highest point of the roof will inhibit moss
and lichen. Something about copper salts in the downwash.

R.

I've never heard this from anyone who's had experience of it working,
its alway somebody who knows somebody who thinks its a good idea.

Complete bollox of course!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

ckeely wrote:
Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the
US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the
brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

I was told by a roofer, but can't confirm from experience, that running
a bare copper wire along the highest point of the roof will inhibit moss
and lichen. Something about copper salts in the downwash.

R.

I've never heard this from anyone who's had experience of it working,
its alway somebody who knows somebody who thinks its a good idea.

Complete bollox of course!

Of course it is. That's why you will never see moss on a copper clad
roof, and the phrase 'copper bottomed' originally used to describe
anti-fouling plating applied to first rate ships, has passed into the
language as an indicator of quality.

Anyway, moss is nice. Apart from Kate of course.

Did I buy too much saw?....(long and rambling) I think my deal was good [email protected] Woodworking 13 May 4th 06 02:43 AM
Really good deal on wheel, air cyl & valve assy Eric R Snow Metalworking 1 April 16th 06 08:26 PM
A great deal of info on great deal of subjects on and around metalworking rashid111 Metalworking 0 August 8th 05 08:01 PM
Moss on roof racarson Home Repair 8 November 14th 03 11:46 PM
Veritas Basic Bench Kit - at $51.50 is it a good deal, fair deal, or a price gouge? caveman Woodworking 0 October 7th 03 01:09 AM