Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,uk.food+drink.misc
David P

Default Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?

I am in the UK. Is it generally safe to drink BOILED water from the
hot tap?

My hot water comes from a tank or cistern in the loft and this feeds
into a hot water cylinder which is in the house. It doesn't look
wonderful inside that tank in the loft but I reckon if I BOILED the
water then presumably I will kill the germs.

Is there another reason why I should not drink boiled water from the
hot tap? Maybe there are dangerous minerals and some other
chemicals found in the hot water system which are unsafe?

Is the caution about this overstated?

BTW - my reasons for wanting to do this is detailed below.

Thanks
Dave

----

Why? I like to hand wash my dishes in very hot water. My hot tap
does not give me water which is quite hot enough. So I fill the
kettle from the hot tap and heat that water up.

While the dishes soak, I usually think I should make myself a coffee!
But I'm not sure if I can use the boiled water left in the kettle.
Or do I need to ... *groan* throw it away, flush the kettle, fill it
from the cold tap and then boil that.

----

x-posted to relevant groups:
uk.d-i-y sci.chem uk.food+drink.misc