Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Carpet tiles, 'brilliant' ;-)

Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

I asked here about giving them a clean up any one of the replies was
'give em a good scrubbing in the bath' and that's what I've just done
(to 20 of them anyway).

I was amazed how dirty the water was afterwards in spite of them
'looking' pretty clean and being well 'Hoovered' before they were
lifted up.

I then gave then a quick rinse with the pressure washer (on the patio
... shame I don't have a garden) and now they are spread about in the
sun to dry.

After washing them I layed them across a dustbin and had a cuppa and
afterwards was amazed how much water had drained from all of them,
considering they were in a big sopping stack?

So when dry, I can put them down (easier than fighting with roll of
carpet) and they can still be easily be lifted as I continue my wiring
upgrades (replacing the 15 year old Cat3 and old distributed TV
cable).

Oh, and none of the noise and the walking-on-gravel feel of laminate
either ;-)

And all for the cost of some hot water and some washing powder!

All the best and thanks to those who advised re the cleaning ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

I asked here about giving them a clean up any one of the replies was
'give em a good scrubbing in the bath' and that's what I've just done
(to 20 of them anyway).

A pressure washer works well too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On 04 May 2006 16:37:07 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

I asked here about giving them a clean up any one of the replies was
'give em a good scrubbing in the bath' and that's what I've just done
(to 20 of them anyway).

A pressure washer works well too.

Erm .. "I then gave then a quick rinse with the pressure washer ..."
;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:

T i m wrote:

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

I asked here about giving them a clean up any one of the replies was
'give em a good scrubbing in the bath' and that's what I've just done
(to 20 of them anyway).

A pressure washer works well too.

Erm .. "I then gave then a quick rinse with the pressure washer ..."

No, sod that, it's much easier to use a pressure washer.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Schrodinger's cat

"T i m" wrote in message

SNIP

Oh, and none of the noise and the walking-on-gravel feel of laminate
either ;-)

SNIP

T i m

I would definitely say there's something wrong with your laminate flooring
if it has a "Walking-on-gravel" feel. Is there gravel on it?

Congrats on your tiles win.

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

I asked here about giving them a clean up any one of the replies was
'give em a good scrubbing in the bath' and that's what I've just done
(to 20 of them anyway).

A pressure washer works well too.

Erm .. "I then gave then a quick rinse with the pressure washer ..."
;-)

Sorry, I meant "A pressure washer alone works well too".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

I asked here about giving them a clean up any one of the replies was
'give em a good scrubbing in the bath' and that's what I've just done
(to 20 of them anyway).

A pressure washer works well too.

Erm .. "I then gave then a quick rinse with the pressure washer ..."
;-)

Sorry, I meant "A pressure washer alone works well too".

Ah ;-)

Yes, it may well of done but I guessed there's nothing like some hot
water, detergent, a bit of a soak and a good scrubbing to start the
process (hard work though you are right but 'a bit of hard work never
hurt anyone?' ... well it didn't used to anyway .. ) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Thu, 4 May 2006 19:56:51 +0100, "Schrodinger's cat"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

SNIP

Oh, and none of the noise and the walking-on-gravel feel of laminate
either ;-)

SNIP

T i m

I would definitely say there's something wrong with your laminate flooring
if it has a "Walking-on-gravel" feel. Is there gravel on it?

I was only joking really .. but it does seem to amplify any small
sones and grit that would be 'absorbed' in a softer surface?

However, my mate had some layed in his shop by another mate (of his).
I think he ran out of underlay and put some of the laminate straight
on top of the (unsealed) concrete floor .. now that *is* crunchy!

Congrats on your tiles win.

Thanks Martin, it gives me a reasonable flooring for the time being
whilst doing a bit of freecycling ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

T i m wrote in news:h3vj52hvpiqrnqoj6eh1u3tfc65b2s97qv@
4ax.com:

Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

snip

I put down a layer of the fibre-based laminate underlay under the carpet
tiles in our downstairs WC. Although expressly discouraged by the tile
manufacturers, it has worked well - improving warmth and softening them
underfoot. (It is a cold solid concrete floor beneath.) If too thick or too
soft, any such underlay could cause the tiles to bow, creep and otherwise
misbehave.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On 4 May 2006 20:58:45 GMT, Rod wrote:

T i m wrote in news:h3vj52hvpiqrnqoj6eh1u3tfc65b2s97qv@
4ax.com:

Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles
that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the
interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

snip

I put down a layer of the fibre-based laminate underlay under the carpet
tiles in our downstairs WC.

Is that the (typically) green stuff Rod?

Although expressly discouraged by the tile
manufacturers, it has worked well - improving warmth and softening them
underfoot. (It is a cold solid concrete floor beneath.) If too thick or too
soft, any such underlay could cause the tiles to bow, creep and otherwise
misbehave.

Understood.

At the moment our loo has lino tiles that are stuck to the vinyl 'self
leveling' and then the concrete. It is pretty cold in the winter so
you either keep yer feet on the mat or wear slippers but easy to keep
clean ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

T i m wrote in
:

snip
I put down a layer of the fibre-based laminate underlay under the
carpet tiles in our downstairs WC.

Is that the (typically) green stuff Rod?

The stuff I used certainly was green. And cheap.

snip some more

At the moment our loo has lino tiles that are stuck to the vinyl 'self
leveling' and then the concrete. It is pretty cold in the winter so
you either keep yer feet on the mat or wear slippers but easy to keep
clean ;-)

Ours used to be the as-fitted-when-built thermoplastic tiles onto the
concrete. Except, of course, where the old WC pan came out and was
repaired with some concrete-like muck. It still is but has the underlay
and tiles on top!

--
Rod

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 10:31 PM
Carpet on Cork Tiles BraileTrail UK diy 2 November 15th 04 09:00 PM
Carpet tiles over carpet sPoNiX UK diy 5 April 20th 04 09:36 AM