sPoNiX

Default Carpet tiles over carpet

I'm going to put some carpet tiles down.

Is there any reason that these can't be laid across the existing
carpet? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing this?

I'm thinking maybe insulation will be better and less likely to show
'ridges' where the floorboards meet if I tile over the carpet?

sPoNiX
Mary Fisher

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
I'm going to put some carpet tiles down.

Is there any reason that these can't be laid across the existing
carpet? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing this?

I'm thinking maybe insulation will be better and less likely to show
'ridges' where the floorboards meet if I tile over the carpet?

I know it's one of my idiosyncrasies but I don't like covering carpet with
anything. It's in those dark, secret, hidden places where Things live and
breed ...

Mary

sPoNiX

Owain

"sPoNiX" wrote
| I'm going to put some carpet tiles down.
| Is there any reason that these can't be laid across the
| existing carpet? Is there any advantage or disadvantage
| to doing this?

Don't. Carpet tiles are designed for laying on a rigid floor. If you lay
them on carpet they will bounce up and down and come apart at the edges.

| I'm thinking maybe insulation will be better and less likely
| to show 'ridges' where the floorboards meet if I tile over
| the carpet?

Hardboarding the floor first will help (a bit) with insulation and (a lot)
with floorboard ridges.

Owain

Sneezy

"Owain" wrote in
:

"sPoNiX" wrote
| I'm going to put some carpet tiles down.
| Is there any reason that these can't be laid across the
| existing carpet? Is there any advantage or disadvantage
| to doing this?

| I'm thinking maybe insulation will be better and less likely
| to show 'ridges' where the floorboards meet if I tile over
| the carpet?

Hardboarding the floor first will help (a bit) with insulation and (a
lot) with floorboard ridges.

/Screw/ the hardboarding down (rather than nail) otherwise it will just
lift up over time and end up a right mess. More so if you lay those vinyl
(?) bathroom/kitchen tiles - nail heads come through the tile, tiles
crack... Awful.

--
john

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwarfinleopardskin

sPoNiX

Very valid points everyone. I will lift the old caret first.

Many thanks

spOnIx

Matching old roof tiles. Kevin UK diy 7 March 9th 04 05:39 PM
floor tiles to carpet Lawrence Zarb UK diy 3 October 20th 03 09:07 AM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM
wall tiles with 4mm depth: Can you get pvc edging that will fit these? William.R.Reisen UK diy 1 September 28th 03 05:38 PM
When laying floor tiles, what size will give the best illusion of space? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 August 13th 03 12:05 AM