Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

Default Chimney Cooker Hood

Why is it always the simple things that take so much effort to get
right?!

So I'm revamping the kitchen and one of the jobs involves replacing a
fitted cooker hood with a stainless-steel chimney hood. Fine, I think.
I'll just take the existing hood out (job done) and screw in the new
hood.

But OH NO. The new hood is too "tall" for the kitchen (and we don't
have a particularly low ceiling). The required gap between the hob and
the hood is 70cm (manufacturers specification) which leaves the chimney
part of the hood some 15cm into the ceiling space! And this is with the
chimney set to it's minimum dimensions...

Either I cut a hole in the ceiling (no way - not just for a cooker
hood!) or I trim the hood itself.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting these silly hoods? They are
adjustable, but even at the minimum size they are too big. I've trawled
the manufacturers for smaller hoods, but the only one I found (from
Hotpoint) was extortionate.

Ho Hum. I can remove and replace a 12sq meter ceiling but fit a cooker
hood?! nope!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Tony wrote:
Why is it always the simple things that take so much effort to get
right?!

So I'm revamping the kitchen and one of the jobs involves replacing a
fitted cooker hood with a stainless-steel chimney hood. Fine, I think.
I'll just take the existing hood out (job done) and screw in the new
hood.

But OH NO. The new hood is too "tall" for the kitchen (and we don't
have a particularly low ceiling). The required gap between the hob and
the hood is 70cm (manufacturers specification) which leaves the
chimney part of the hood some 15cm into the ceiling space! And this
is with the chimney set to it's minimum dimensions...

Either I cut a hole in the ceiling (no way - not just for a cooker
hood!) or I trim the hood itself.

or place the hood slightly below the manufacturers recommendation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Tony wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of fitting these silly hoods? They are
adjustable, but even at the minimum size they are too big. I've trawled
the manufacturers for smaller hoods, but the only one I found (from
Hotpoint) was extortionate.

I know what you mean; I've fitted three of these hoods in the past
couple of years and in each case the 'minimum' size was too big!

Presumably you have two telescoping sections? I just threw one away,
and cut the other to the correct length using a pair of tin-snips; and
finally drilled new clearance holes in each side at the top (ie matching
the original I'd thrown away), in order to be able to attach the chimney
to the upper wall bracket. Wasn't difficult.

hth
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow

Lobster wrote:
Tony wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of fitting these silly hoods? They are
adjustable, but even at the minimum size they are too big. I've trawled
the manufacturers for smaller hoods, but the only one I found (from
Hotpoint) was extortionate.

I know what you mean; I've fitted three of these hoods in the past
couple of years and in each case the 'minimum' size was too big!

Presumably you have two telescoping sections? I just threw one away,
and cut the other to the correct length using a pair of tin-snips; and
finally drilled new clearance holes in each side at the top (ie matching
the original I'd thrown away), in order to be able to attach the chimney
to the upper wall bracket. Wasn't difficult.

hth
David

I'm just in the process of doing exactly this too.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Tony wrote:

Ho Hum. I can remove and replace a 12sq meter ceiling but fit a cooker
hood?! nope!

is that the kitchen ceiling ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

In message .com, Tony
writes
But OH NO. The new hood is too "tall" for the kitchen (and we don't
have a particularly low ceiling). The required gap between the hob and
the hood is 70cm (manufacturers specification) which leaves the chimney
part of the hood some 15cm into the ceiling space! And this is with the
chimney set to it's minimum dimensions...

Yeah had to cut mine down, although it is a low ceiling anyway.
Used a B&Q PP dremel clone, flexy shaft and cutting discs, as the
stainless is very thin & I didn't want to risk the distortion caused by
tin-snips or whatever.
The PP tool did not survive the experience. After 10 minutes or so
grinding 90% of the way round the hood the thing died. It was extremely
hot, motor completely stuffed with a shorted winding.
I imagine the extra friction in the flex-drive was just too much for it
continuously. If had been hand-held it would have been too hot to hold
well before burning out.

--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steven Briggs wrote:
Yeah had to cut mine down, although it is a low ceiling anyway.
Used a B&Q PP dremel clone, flexy shaft and cutting discs, as the
stainless is very thin & I didn't want to risk the distortion caused by
tin-snips or whatever.

A nibbler is ideal for this.
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8006

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Steven Briggs wrote:
Yeah had to cut mine down, although it is a low ceiling anyway.
Used a B&Q PP dremel clone, flexy shaft and cutting discs, as the
stainless is very thin & I didn't want to risk the distortion caused by
tin-snips or whatever.

A nibbler is ideal for this.
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8006

But take precautions to collect all the chads. They're little crescent
shaped bits and they're right *******s if you get 'em in the carpet or
anywhere you're likely to walk with bare feet. Like little caltrops.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Guy King wrote:
Like little caltrops.

New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at the
Reader's Digest again?

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Like little caltrops.

New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at the
Reader's Digest again?

You've never met caltrops? Where were you during the miners' strike?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Guy King wrote:
Like little caltrops.

New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at the
Reader's Digest again?

Hmmm; hadn't thought of the little caltrop producing efficacy of 'nibblers'
could the resultants be scattered on the road-side verges where visitors to
'next door' insist on parking their cars and churning up the grass? [Welding
together six inch nails seems so OTT]

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Someone wrote, but the attributions were munged:
Like little caltrops.

New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at the
Reader's Digest again?

You've never met caltrops? Where were you during the miners' strike?

They've been around for much longer than that. Biggles used
them (it might have been James Bond if I've misremembered).
They were probably used a thousand years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:
Someone wrote, but the attributions were munged:
Like little caltrops.

New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at the
Reader's Digest again?

You've never met caltrops? Where were you during the miners' strike?

They've been around for much longer than that. Biggles used
them (it might have been James Bond if I've misremembered).
They were probably used a thousand years ago.

As brother Cadfael would doubtless confirm ...

... OK at least 900 years ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at the
Reader's Digest again?

You've never met caltrops? Where were you during the miners' strike?

They've been around for much longer than that. Biggles used
them (it might have been James Bond if I've misremembered).
They were probably used a thousand years ago.

Indeed they were, the Romans used 'em. I just thought that the miners'
strike was a recent memorable example.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Guy King wrote:
New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at the
Reader's Digest again?

You've never met caltrops? Where were you during the miners' strike?

Not many mines in London.

And shouting rubbish so loudly at any media coverage that I rarely heard
what was said. ;-)

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
New word on me and my dictionary. Google manages it, though. Been at
the
Reader's Digest again?

You've never met caltrops? Where were you during the miners' strike?

I hadn't realised t'miners deployed Scargill's Horse! Oh, hang on! You must
mean Scargill's mob _used_ caltrops! Poor gee-gees!

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

For those who are interested, I have so far installed the cooker hood
without the chimney piece! The hool aligns perfectly with the top of
the adjacent kitchen units (and there will be a bridging piece of
melamined board with a cornicing). I have about 25cm between this and
the ceiling. I'm debating whether to bother cutting a 25cm piece of
chimney just for the sake of appearances, or whether to leave the hood
chimney-less (it looks pretty good as-is)..... most of the chimney
would be hidden behind the cornice anyway...

It will probably all depend on how good a job I can make of cutting the
chimney... I'll update when I've tried.