Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

Default Chimney Cooker Hood

In message .com, Tony
writes
But OH NO. The new hood is too "tall" for the kitchen (and we don't
have a particularly low ceiling). The required gap between the hob and
the hood is 70cm (manufacturers specification) which leaves the chimney
part of the hood some 15cm into the ceiling space! And this is with the
chimney set to it's minimum dimensions...

Yeah had to cut mine down, although it is a low ceiling anyway.
Used a B&Q PP dremel clone, flexy shaft and cutting discs, as the
stainless is very thin & I didn't want to risk the distortion caused by
tin-snips or whatever.
The PP tool did not survive the experience. After 10 minutes or so
grinding 90% of the way round the hood the thing died. It was extremely
hot, motor completely stuffed with a shorted winding.
I imagine the extra friction in the flex-drive was just too much for it
continuously. If had been hand-held it would have been too hot to hold
well before burning out.

--
steve