Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnard

Default Advice on building outside wall, please?

Hi.

I want to build a wall across the back of my garden, dividing us off
from a service road. I have the layout I want in my mind, but my
question is about the correct matereils to use. I'm on the south
coast of the UK, a mile from the sea. The wall be be on the north
facing aspect.

It will not be loadbearing, apart from resting one end of a carport
style roof on it. It will be in two sections, with a wide wooden gate
in the middle.

I don't want the waste of using bricks. It's out of sight from the
house and will have a shed and plants covering our side. Blocks it
is, but which ones for exterior use and what mortar mix for longevity?

I guess areated blocks would be a little fragile for an external wall?
Build Centre lists the following Dense Aggregate Concrete Blocks:

H12912 * 100MM DENSE HOLLOW CELLULAR BLOCK 6.22 per Square Metre
H12907 * 100MM DENSE SOLID CONCRETE BLOCK 7N 9.29 per Square Metre
H12911 * 140MM DENSE CONCRETE BLOCK SOLID 13.42 per Square Metre
H12914 * 140MM DENSE HOLLOW CELLULAR BLOCK 12.73 per Square Metre
H12925 * 215MM DENSE CONCRETE BLOCK 20.11 per Square Metre
H12920 * 215MM DENSE HOLLOW BLOCK 17.58 per Square Metre
H12902 * 75MM DENSE CONCRETE BLOCK 8.12 per Square Metre

(I hope the formatting is not too bad for you.)

75mm and 100mm are too thin. 140mm seems OK and I'm wondering if
215mm may be too thick; I'm not building a castle! Hollow blocks are
cheaper and probably lighter but I'm unsure about precise fitting and
cutting for wall ends and angles.

I *have* googled, but not come up with an understandable, concrete
(sic) answer. So, anyone willing to give me a hint or two, please?

Many thanks.

--
Regards from Mike, Jan and Master Alex Barnard.
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnard

On Mon, 01 May 2006 11:31:32 +0100, Mike Barnard
wrote:

matereils - wall be be on the north - areated

Sigh, I must proofread before posting. Hangs head in shame!

--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
1 GB/Day for only $8.95
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Why is 100mm too thin? And aerated blocks are frost rated

I would go for a 3.5N 100mm solid block for this type of wall.

Hollow blocks can crack under the slightest movement, and a 7N block
would be a pain to lay. Also 140mm is overkill and way too heavy for
this application.

Don't forget to build a peir at each end of the wall for stability.

I also like the way you have thought about the aesthetics - covered
from your side and a nice grey mass from the other side. Don't forget
to leave all the mortar snots hanging on that side too, just for
completeness

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"dg" wrote

I also like the way you have thought about the aesthetics - covered
from your side and a nice grey mass from the other side. Don't forget
to leave all the mortar snots hanging on that side too, just for
completeness

well I laughed

Regards Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Mike Barnard wrote:
I want to build a wall across the back of my garden, dividing us off
from a service road.

How high will it be? How long?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I want to build a wall across the back of my garden, dividing us off
from a service road.

I'd build it out of wood, myself, with tongue and grooved boards facing the
road. Unfaced concrete looks just too rank.

Christian.