Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Pattress conversion

nash wrote:
I am looking at changing light switches that date back to the 1930s
these fit to a cast pattress box and dont have the standard screw
fittings to fit a modern switch . Does anybody know if there an
adapter plate that can be fitted to accept the new switches because I
do not want to have to dig all the boxes out to replace them.

Could you just buy screws that fit, and ditch the supplied ones?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan

I am looking at changing light switches that date back to the 1930s

If the switches are that old there is a good chance the wiring is too.

Are the cables to the switches rubber insulated or PVC?

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Could you just buy screws that fit, and ditch the supplied ones?

Perhaps they're at the wrong spacing.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
nash wrote:
I am looking at changing light switches that date back to the 1930s
these fit to a cast pattress box and dont have the standard screw
fittings to fit a modern switch . Does anybody know if there an
adapter plate that can be fitted to accept the new switches because I
do not want to have to dig all the boxes out to replace them.

Is the spacing correct? If so they'll be BA rather than metric.

But surely using some form of spacer is going to look truly awful?

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

nash wrote:

I am looking at changing light switches that date back to the 1930s
these fit to a cast pattress box and dont have the standard screw
fittings to fit a modern switch . Does anybody know if there an
adapter plate that can be fitted to accept the new switches because I
do not want to have to dig all the boxes out to replace them.

I don't know the answer, but if the wiring also dates back to the 30's, it
almost certainly needs replacing. In this case, replace the lot, pattress
boxes and all.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Junior Member

I am looking at changing light switches that date back to the 1930s these fit to a cast pattress box and dont have the standard screw fittings to fit a modern switch . Does anybody know if there an adapter plate that can be fitted to accept the new switches because I do not want to have to dig all the boxes out to replace them.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash
I am looking at changing light switches that date back to the 1930s these fit to a cast pattress box and dont have the standard screw fittings to fit a modern switch . Does anybody know if there an adapter plate that can be fitted to accept the new switches because I do not want to have to dig all the boxes out to replace them.
Any major electrical wholesaler sells adaptors for about a quid.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtechy
Any major electrical wholesaler sells adaptors for about a quid.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The wiring is ALL original including fusebox and socket wiring (round pin sockets) and will be ripped out but the conduit and light switch boxes I would rather leave.

Cables are either VIR cloth covered or some "modern" lead covered including the telephone cable.

There are no screws on the switch face and I heard of an adaptor that fits in the box so does'nt look too bad.

dtechy

I have looked on various web sites for the adaptor before posting this here but couldn't find any.

What are they called and is there a supplier I could look at.

thanks....

Last edited by nash : April 28th 06 at 03:52 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash
Thanks for all the suggestions. The wiring is ALL original including fusebox and socket wiring (round pin sockets) and will be ripped out but the conduit and light switch boxes I would rather leave.

Cables are either VIR cloth covered or some "modern" lead covered including the telephone cable.

There are no screws on the switch face and I heard of an adaptor that fits in the box so does'nt look too bad.

dtechy

I have looked on various web sites for the adaptor before posting this here but couldn't find any.

What are they called and is there a supplier I could look at.

thanks....
Google electrical wholesalers in "your town/city" and find the one nearest to you. I think the're called switch plate converters.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtechy
Google electrical wholesalers in "your town/city" and find the one nearest to you. I think the're called switch plate converters.
I had tried searching for various combinations of switch plate converters.

Have now found out tha MK manufacture one type http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...0&rangeid=1002

Hopefully I can adapt it to suit.

Thanks for the comments .......

Junior Member

Not all the boxes as steel. Some are wood . Are these still OK if the switch and the conduit are earthed ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
nash wrote:
Not all the boxes as steel. Some are wood . Are these still OK if the
switch and the conduit are earthed ?

You really really really should stop p***ing about and do the job properly.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*