Posted to uk.d-i-y
-

Default Self Adhesive Mini Trunking

Is the self adhesive mini trunking available from Screwfix (16x16 in 3m
lengths) OK?

It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to
plastered walls.

Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available.

I need about 100m I think.

Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
. uk...
Is the self adhesive mini trunking available from Screwfix (16x16 in

3m
lengths) OK?

It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to
plastered walls.

Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available.

I need about 100m I think.

Many thanks

I've found the self adhesive stuff fairly hopeless for permanent
fixing to plastered / painted walls but ok on laminates. However
having the sticky on the back makes installation earier as it stays
there long enough to get screws through it.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

-GB-Carpy wrote:
Is the self adhesive mini trunking available from Screwfix (16x16 in 3m
lengths) OK?

It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to
plastered walls.

Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available.

I need about 100m I think.

Many thanks

100m, wow!

The sticky stuff is fine for small runs in out of the way places but
because of the adhesive pad it'll leave a small gap between it and the
wall so I'd go for standard stuff. Plus alignment will be easier as
once the adhesive has made contact you can't shift it if it's wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:06:39 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

|"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...
| Is the self adhesive mini trunking available from Screwfix (16x16 in
|3m
| lengths) OK?
|
| It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to
| plastered walls.
|
| Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available.
|
| I need about 100m I think.
|
| Many thanks
|

|I've found the self adhesive stuff fairly hopeless for permanent
|fixing to plastered / painted walls but ok on laminates. However
|having the sticky on the back makes installation earier as it stays
|there long enough to get screws through it.

Agreed the sticky tape on the back is IME useless, except for holding it in
place to put some screws in. If you have mains cables in them, should you
use plastic screws?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
news

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
. uk...
Is the self adhesive mini trunking available from Screwfix (16x16 in

3m
lengths) OK?

It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to
plastered walls.

Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available.

I need about 100m I think.

Many thanks

I've found the self adhesive stuff fairly hopeless for permanent
fixing to plastered / painted walls but ok on laminates. However
having the sticky on the back makes installation earier as it stays
there long enough to get screws through it.

AWEM

Couldn't agree more.

I used the self adhesive screwfix trunking a while ago to put in a Cat5
network - luckily in my own premises.

Two days later most of it was hanging by the cables it was supposed to
contain - adhesive had totally failed.

So definately use the self adhesion to hold it in place while you screw it
to the wall.

By contrast a few years ago we used self adhesive trunking from RS
Components on the same walls and you can't remove it without taking the
plaster off ;-)

--
ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race

-GB-Carpy wrote:
Is the self adhesive mini trunking available from Screwfix (16x16 in 3m
lengths) OK?

It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to
plastered walls.

Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available.

I need about 100m I think.

Many thanks

For that length, try using the coiled version. It is fitted flat
against the wall & can then be fixed with masonry nails before the sides
are pulled up to make the channel. Dont rely on the adhesive - but the
smoother the surface, the better the adhesion (I must have put up about
200m in the last 2 years

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson"
saying something like:

I've found the self adhesive stuff fairly hopeless for permanent
fixing to plastered / painted walls but ok on laminates. However
having the sticky on the back makes installation earier as it stays
there long enough to get screws through it.

That's it exactly. It's f all use as a means of securing it.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Eric The Viking wrote:

By contrast a few years ago we used self adhesive trunking from RS
Components on the same walls and you can't remove it without taking the
plaster off ;-)

I have used self adhesive from CPC on painted plaster... that is all
still there two years and more later as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Malcolm Race wrote:

For that length, try using the coiled version. It is fitted flat
against the wall & can then be fixed with masonry nails before the sides
are pulled up to make the channel. Dont rely on the adhesive - but the
smoother the surface, the better the adhesion (I must have put up about
200m in the last 2 years

The coiled stuff is the business.
Used to use it all the time in my past job.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
-

The coiled stuff is 3 times more expensive than the non self adhesive non
coiled trunking.

Is it still worth the extra?

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote in message
. uk...
Malcolm Race wrote:

For that length, try using the coiled version. It is fitted flat against
the wall & can then be fixed with masonry nails before the sides are
pulled up to make the channel. Dont rely on the adhesive - but the
smoother the surface, the better the adhesion (I must have put up about
200m in the last 2 years

The coiled stuff is the business.
Used to use it all the time in my past job.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Post-It-like adhesive Eli Luong Woodworking 11 March 8th 06 04:56 PM
Interlocking Suspended Ceiling/Fixing Trunking - Self adhesive or Impact adhesive. [email protected] UK diy 0 February 3rd 06 09:21 AM
Trunking for cat5e David Hearn UK diy 7 January 11th 05 07:14 PM
Mini Max and an AMAZING story of customer service Tbone Dano Woodworking 11 May 22nd 04 08:03 PM
What are the size limitations of mini mills? Peter Grey Metalworking 44 November 13th 03 04:37 AM