Posted to uk.d-i-y
Big Guy

Default Tale's of Woe - Where can I find an Independent Double Glazing Surveyor

I am having trouble with a very badly manufactured and installed set
of DG to the front of my house.

Where can I find an Independent Double Glazing Surveyor in the
Warwickshire/Leicestershire or Northants ???

After summing up the problems we have had they include, a window that
cannot be physically opened (due to roof being in the way), opening
windows in the wrong positions, bevelled effect windows installed up
side down, bay window cills damaged, silicone sealant coming away,
faulty frame manufacture etc etc

The faults have been noted and a man came out yesterday from the
company, who did not even have a ladder. He noted the problems that I
had found. But as he borrowed my ladder and he found other problems.
Which means that the majority of the windows need replacing. I said
that if they did not want to fix the problems, make us a financial
offer.

They have come back and said how much would I be willing to accept. So
how much would be reasonable ??

But where do I go from here ??

Should I get an Independent Double Glazing Surveyor in ???

Can I insist that the old windows are put back (even thou I know that
they have been destroyed) as I am certainly not happy about them
coming back.

Should I insist that the windows are not of merchantable quality and
not pay for them, even thou I have paid a deposit and signed a finance
agreement.

Or do I have to let them come back and repair them, or should I
insist that they are all pulled out and reinstalled a fresh, even thou
I am certainly not happy about them coming back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Weatherlawyer

Big Guy wrote:
[...]

not pay for them, even though I have paid a deposit and signed a finance
agreement.

Or do I have to let them come back and repair them, or should I
insist that they are all pulled out and reinstalled a fresh, even thou
I am certainly not happy about them coming back.

A double glazing surveyor is just a saleman for the firm. There are no
independants. You are thinking of a chartered surveyor. No idea how
much they charge.

You need to stop all payment if you can cancel cheques etc. They are
criminally incompetent. Any surveyor will look at the work and say what
you can say for yourself. Just video it all and sue them.

Then get in a small local firm that have been in business for years to
replace them, or diy. There may be people on here willing to come and
help for a small fee.

Post the picture online and a few of the firm involved if you can chase
up another customer/victim. The problem is they just change their names
and start some other scam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Big Guy writes:
I am having trouble with a very badly manufactured and installed set
of DG to the front of my house.

Was this a local independant installer or one of the nationals?
What sort of installation price was it?

They have come back and said how much would I be willing to accept. So
how much would be reasonable ??

The cost of another firm to replace all the windows to the standard
that the first firm should have done.

But where do I go from here ??

Try to get some recommendations for good local installers.
Has anyone in nearby roads had their windows replaced recently?
Go and ask them who did it and if they are happy with them.
Failing that, try asking a local glazier.

Should I get an Independent Double Glazing Surveyor in ???

As someone else said, I don't think such a person exists.

Can I insist that the old windows are put back (even thou I know that
they have been destroyed) as I am certainly not happy about them
coming back.

Eh?

Should I insist that the windows are not of merchantable quality and
not pay for them, even thou I have paid a deposit and signed a finance
agreement.

The finance agreement might actually be your saviour. Go and
check on uk.legal.moderated, but I think there are circumstances
like this where it's unenforcable. If you are required to sign
off that the windows have been fitted to bring the repayment
part of the agreement into action, refuse until you've taken
legal advice. Similarly, if you are still within the cooling
off period, quickly go and take legal advice as you might be
able to get it cancelled.

Or do I have to let them come back and repair them, or should I
insist that they are all pulled out and reinstalled a fresh, even thou
I am certainly not happy about them coming back.

You probably don't want _them_ back at all.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Big Guy" wrote in message
[...]

==========================
As others have said the starting point in such a dispute is to stop payment
if you can.

The nearest thing to 'independent' is 'Fensa' which is the trade watchdog
(rather toothless). Find out if the company is Fensa registered and if so
contact your local Council Building Officer. The point about Fensa
registered companies is that they're supposed to assume responsibility for
compliance with Building Regulations. If they fail to do so then they can
have their Fensa qualification withdrawn and possibly face legal action from
the Council.

Have a read through the relevant regulations (www.odpm.gov.uk/) and note how
your installation fails to comply.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Big

A double glazing surveyor is just a saleman for the firm. There are no
independants. You are thinking of a chartered surveyor. No idea how
much they charge.

You need to stop all payment if you can cancel cheques etc. They are
criminally incompetent. Any surveyor will look at the work and say what
you can say for yourself. Just video it all and sue them.

Then get in a small local firm that have been in business for years to
replace them, or diy. There may be people on here willing to come and
help for a small fee.

Post the picture online and a few of the firm involved if you can chase
up another customer/victim. The problem is they just change their names
and start some other scam.

Its certainly a nationwide company, but not heard off round here.

I've borrowed some web space, so I have put up some photos.

Old mastic left on the floor and trood on
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc1.jpg

Edge chipping off showing white upvc
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc2.jpg

Edge chipping off cill, showing white upvc, normal cills are coloured
all the way thru or thats what I thought
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc3.jpg

Colour streak on all mitred window joints, also not showing too well
is the welded joint colouring is showing the white upvc underneath.
Most joints are the same.
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc4.jpg

Same as above, do not worry about white streak, this was sealant.
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc5.jpg

Inner white mitred joints , many have air gaps.
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc6.jpg

All patterned glass upside down, and with blue streaks on glass
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc7.jpg

Cracked frame
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc8.jpg

Sealant all over the place
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc9.jpg

Bottom of window jammed in against tiles on roof, so window will not
opne. But this window should be on the opposite side of the bay
window. But to make it to open they suggest a 60mm packer all the way
down the wall side, which would make a narrower opening window and the
window below.
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc10.jpg

Wood from old window frames left, inside and outside. Defeats one of
the objects of having UPVC
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc11.jpg

Silicone sealant peeling off
www.gb-online.co.uk/upvc/upvc12.jpg

Any further help and advice please

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:27:59 GMT Cicero wrote :
The nearest thing to 'independent' is 'Fensa' which is the trade
watchdog (rather toothless).

http://www.fenestrationassociates.com/ has a list of four glazing
experts across the UK.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Big Guy
writes
I am having trouble with a very badly manufactured and installed set
of DG to the front of my house.

Where can I find an Independent Double Glazing Surveyor in the
Warwickshire/Leicestershire or Northants ???

My cousin is a building surveyor and spends quite a bit of time writing
reports on work that has failed to meet the expectations of householders.
Windows are just parts of a building and the faults you describe are well
within the remit of a building surveyor. Try calling a few for a chat to see if
they have done mediation type work before and are interested in working
with you.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Big Guy, M Andrews wrote:
*hi there I am an independent surveyer that would be able to help and resolve
your problems *

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...zi-240322-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 19:44:03 UTC, M Andrews wrote:

*hi there I am an independent surveyer that would be able to help and resolve
your problems *

I'm sure you could be really helpful 10 years after the event. Get yourself a sensible newsgroup client or portal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

M Andrews wrote:
replying to Big Guy, M Andrews wrote:
*hi there I am an independent surveyer that would be able to help and
resolve your problems *

https://media.giphy.com/media/VrSZDlpRaHYje/giphy.gif

Posted to uk.d-i-y

M Andrews wrote:
replying to Big Guy, M Andrews wrote:
*hi there I am an independent surveyer that would be able to help and
resolve your problems *

You are replying to an old post of Peter Hucker [1] and you'll probably get
more sense out of one of his parrots.

[1] Now morphed into James Wilkinson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 23:10:07 -0000, Unbeliever wrote:

M Andrews wrote:
replying to Big Guy, M Andrews wrote:
*hi there I am an independent surveyer that would be able to help and
resolve your problems *

You are replying to an old post of Peter Hucker [1] and you'll probably get
more sense out of one of his parrots.

[1] Now morphed into James Wilkinson

I have never been in this thread.

--
Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem here as I see it is that the reply that comes out here on Usenet
has no actual quote from the originator or date, so making replies from
Usenet likely to happen many many years ofter the post.

It needs to be redesigned to include orrignators date of posting at the very
least. I'm considering deleting all posts from this source.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Saturday, 3 December 2016 19:44:03 UTC, M Andrews wrote:

*hi there I am an independent surveyer that would be able to help and
resolve
your problems *

I'm sure you could be really helpful 10 years after the event. Get
yourself a sensible newsgroup client or portal.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 11:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
The problem here as I see it is that the reply that comes out here on Usenet
has no actual quote from the originator or date, so making replies from
Usenet likely to happen many many years ofter the post.

It needs to be redesigned to include orrignators date of posting at the very
least. I'm considering deleting all posts from this source.

Yup, the site's software authors have not really thought through the
implications of not quoting properly. They include a link to the thread
on their own site, but that is of precious little use for those reading
the group as a batch download, and its also a pain for sight impaired
readers since they probably don't want to have to keep romping off to a
web site just to work out what is going on (and just to add insult to
injury, if you do follow the link it does not even drop you at the right
message - but but right back at the start of the thread which may be
100s of posts before the one that is relevant).

--
Cheers,

John.