Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Andy

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Seinman

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

The store in your link is an Express, which because of its size is not
covered by the legislation.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

Andy wrote:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

Wrong.

There's no exemption for Xmas day.

There's regulations regarding Easter Sunday trade. I can't remember the
actual square footage quoted in the law, but the regulations only apply
to stores over a certain square footage.

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

It's an Express and will be exempt from Sunday trading and Easter Sunday
trading regulations due to it's size.

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

It's big enough to be regulated.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
RiTSo

:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

--
RiTSo

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

: ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
: close. Is this true?
:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would be a
bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway / Morrisons store
is only 30,000 square *feet*).

checks

It's 3000 square feet, not metres!
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and long!!

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
RiTSo

SteveH wrote:

:: I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
:: square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big
ASDA
:: near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

: As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would
: be a bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway /
Morrisons
: store is only 30,000 square *feet*).
:
: checks
:
: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

Was trying from memory! Sure it started with a '3' and it was
something squared!

Almost right!!

=]

--
RiTSo

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
RiTSo

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

--
RiTSo

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

RiTSo wrote:

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

grin
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , RiTSo
writes
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

Vous avez besoin, peut etre, de les lunettes tres forte

quand you can't see something that size

--
geoff

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
sandman112

"Andy" wrote in message
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well outdated ...
dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up the town tomorrow
then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase will all be open, and if
they weren't i'd be well ****ed

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Bob Eager

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:43:05 UTC, "Sparks" wrote:

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and long!!

On a more modest scale, there's a UK library that's 184 metres long!

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Jackie Green

sandman112 wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up
the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase
will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be well ****ed

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening hours a

• Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on opening

• Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and 6pm
Easter Sunday - closed

from:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/sunday.htm

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
sandman112

"Jackie Green" k wrote in
message k...
sandman112 wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

AHHH makes me happy

Q7. Why doesn't this protection extend to Scotland?
The protection was originally introduced by the Sunday Trading Act 1994,
which does not extend to Scotland. The Sunday Working (Scotland) Act 2003
provides protection for shop and betting workers in Scotland.

stupid bloody rules

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Andy

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i
go up the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys,
comet, homebase will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be
well ****ed

On 16 Apr 2006, Jackie
Greenjackie.green@removethisifyouwantmeblueyonder .co.uk wrote:

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening
hours a

 Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on
opening

 Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and
6pm Easter Sunday - closed

Easter Sunday = closed is more like what I remember. Maybe stores
are taking their chances more and more these days by opening at times
when they really should not be.

Guess it's going to be a mad rush in the stores on Monday then.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Jackie Green

Andy wrote:
[...]

not to mention the panic buying that will ahve taken pace on the Fri/Sat cos
the shops are closed for a whoooooole day :-/

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Mad Ad

"Jackie Green" k wrote in
message k...
Andy wrote:
Guess it's going to be a mad rush in the stores on Monday then.

not to mention the panic buying that will ahve taken pace on the Fri/Sat
cos the shops are closed for a whoooooole day :-/

omg of course, thats why sainsburies looked like locusts had decended- next
to no fresh vegetables, none of my favourite pizzas either, many popular
lines decimated, boy was I lucky to get the last remaining granary rolls-
hey I could ebay them, there must be a huge demand.

Ad

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a Sunday
like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able to shop
just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Paul Cupis

RiTSo wrote:
I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

That's 8 hours...

10-4 ?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Richard Colton

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them. WTF is the problem with many shoppers? Why
can't they cope if the shops are going to be shut for twenty four hours?

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Richard Colton:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in
message . uk...
Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

It's not important to me, so why should I lose out, why shouldn't I be
allowed to work that day?

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
jonnyg

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

Must be an immigrant

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
David Wright

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able
to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on Sundays,
and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have really panicked
you!

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening - people just
spread their shopping over more days - if all shops closed on Sundays again,
I wonder if it would affect takings?

D.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
HandyMart

David Wright wrote:

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able
to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on Sundays,
and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have really panicked
you!

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening - people just
spread their shopping over more days - if all shops closed on Sundays again,
I wonder if it would affect takings?

Just wondered if there is anyone reading uk.d-i-y that spends Sundays as
God intended, doing DIY?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

David Wright wrote:

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able
to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on Sundays,
and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have really panicked
you!

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening - people just
spread their shopping over more days - if all shops closed on Sundays again,
I wonder if it would affect takings?

If a law was introduced that banned *all* stores from opening on Sunday,
everyone's takings would remain more or less as they are now. I've done
exercises in opening stores on Sundays and found it makes very little
difference to the overall weekly sales - as you say, it just spreads
spending over 7 rather than 6 days. The same applies to extended opening
hours, too.

Unfortunately, as shopping hours are largely deregulated in this
country, there's no retailer out there who'd take a chance on moving
back to sensible opening hours and closing on Sundays, as the big chains
such as Tesco would still open longer hours and on Sunday, meaning there
is a commercial advantage in doing so.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Johannes

RiTSo wrote:

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

--
RiTSo

Sorry, but you're all minnows! 3000 square meters is about 54.8m by 54.8m,
or about 180ft by 180ft. Not so large after all.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Richard Colton

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Nobody is stopping you working on Easter Sunday.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk
www.thephonelocker.co.uk
www.gsm-solutions.co.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Richard Colton wrote:

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them.

Ah, ********. So the state is expected to uphold some religious beliefs?

Who gets to say what is "religiously important" anyway ? I could set up
my Church of Arse and declare that all seven days of the week are
religious important and demand legislation to keep everyone out of the
shops ?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
David Marshall

In article ,
Richard Colton wrote:
Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them.

You assume that unlimited Sunday trading would mean that shopworkers were
forced to work on days that had significance to them. That is not the case,
even now:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/...516&chk=plRNsk

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
R. Mark Clayton

"raden" wrote in message
In message , RiTSo
writes
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

Vous avez besoin, peut etre, de les lunettes tres forte

Je pense que non, parce que si le magasin est loin, on peut voir le tous
sans difficils.

quand you can't see something that size

For example I can see all the buildings at Manchester Airport (~2km wide and
10km away) from my patio.

In the past I have seen the whole of Ulster out of a cockpit window, and
about half of Greenland (300km) and I didn't need glasses for either

--
geoff

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Graham Murray

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday rather then Good Friday was the
'taboo' day for opening?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

David Marshall wrote:

In article ,
Richard Colton wrote:
Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them.

You assume that unlimited Sunday trading would mean that shopworkers were
forced to work on days that had significance to them. That is not the
case, even now:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/...dTimeOff/Worki
ngHoursAndTimeOffArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10028516&chk=plRNsk

If you believe the Sunday 'opt out' actually offers some level of
protection to the average retail worker, then you're sadly mistaken.

Due to the alarmingly low rates of union membership (and a totally
spineless main union) there is, in practice, very little Sunday opt-out
protection within the industry.

FWIW, I once made noises about signing the opt-out when I was a deputy
manager for Safeway, only for my boss to tell me he'd have to reconsider
my suitability for the role.....
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
R. Mark Clayton

"David Wright" wrote in message
I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able
to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on Sundays,
and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have really panicked
you!

Many shops tended to close early (~16:00 on Saturdays).

What did I used to do? Well like many people I worked five days a week,
often late, so getting to the shops when they were actually open from Monday
to Friday was difficult.

This meant the ONLY day I could go shopping was Saturday, so like tens of
millions of other people I used to cram into buses or argue over car parking
places to get there. Then I used to jostle with the large numbers of other
shoppers before all the fresh food ran out and queue up for ages to pay
before trying to find somewhere on the bus to put my groceries because the
luggage rack was already full and then stand most of the way home.

Thank goodness Sunday shopping was liberalised in England (in more civilised
Scotland, it has never been restricted). The pretext was so Xtian people
can attend church.

Of course the nearest church to me is packed to the doors, with cars parked
up for half a kilometer in every direction, but that's on Fridays because it
was converted to a Mosque some years ago. Nationally under 2% attend church
regularly, probably well less than 1% in urban areas, like where I live and
most Sunday trading takes place. Judaism appears to be flagging a bit as
well, with best offers invited for either one of the two local Synagogues.

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening - people
just spread their shopping over more days - if all shops closed on Sundays
again, I wonder if it would affect takings?

Yes, because a lot more people would start buying off the web. At the
moment internet shopping is dominated by Tesco, Sainsbury etc., however a
new entrant without the sky high overheads of large stores and just an el
cheapo warehouse on an industrial estate could undercut them savagely and
still make a profit. Such places already exist (Cash & Carry's), and I bulk
buy from them now.

D.

PS The Easter Sunday closure was an amendment put in by once Liberal Lord
Alton. OTOH there are no restrictions on [the even holier] Good Friday, so
all the shops are open then. There are no restrictions on Xmas day opening,
but very few shops open then.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Barney

"SteveH" wrote

Unfortunately, as shopping hours are largely deregulated in this
country, there's no retailer out there who'd take a chance on moving
back to sensible opening hours and closing on Sundays, as the big chains
such as Tesco would still open longer hours and on Sunday, meaning there
is a commercial advantage in doing so.

Certaily the case in Scotland, my local Tesco opens on 2nd January and
doesn't close again until 24th December.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
John Patrick

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Isn't that 8 hours how do they manage to flout the law. All the biggies here
do 10 to 4.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
John Patrick

Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well outdated

dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up the town tomorrow
then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase will all be open, and

if
they weren't i'd be well ****ed

You are going to be ****ed then if they are the big shops that normally only
open 10 to 4 or 11 to 5 on other sundays.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:51:40 +0100 David Wright wrote :
I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening -
people just spread their shopping over more days - if all shops
closed on Sundays again, I wonder if it would affect takings?

There is only so much money to go round. What has happened is that
the number of shops has contracted as those who were only just
profitable cease to be - Sunday trading is one reason, internet
trading another. At this point the Conservatives have one of their
schizo moments: they want to be in favour of the status quo and
small businesses, but they also believe in reducing state control
and free enterprise.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:06:03 +0100 R. Mark Clayton wrote :
The pretext was so Xtian people can attend church.

But the reality was that most churches and Christians took the view
that those who wanted to be in church could do so if they chose to
- attending the Sunday evening service for example. The real
opposition was from small shopkeepers and also those who live in
town centres.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm
[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Noel Paton

"Geronimo W. Christ Esq" wrote in message

Who gets to say what is "religiously important" anyway ? I could set up my
Church of Arse and declare that all seven days of the week are religious
important and demand legislation to keep everyone out of the shops ?

I thought they'd already done that - except they called it the Labour Party?

--
Noel Paton

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
John Patrick

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them. WTF is the problem with many shoppers? Why
can't they cope if the shops are going to be shut for twenty four hours?

Never ceases to amaze me the panic that gets into people when the big shops
shut for a day or the sheer hysterical buying if they shut for 2 days. You
would think some people are stocking up to try and see themselves through a
nuclear winter.

The intelligence of the average UK shopper seems more than a little suspect
at times. The mere hint of a possible scarcity of anything they will go and
clear the shelves regardless of wether they need it or not.