Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Andy

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Seinman

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

The store in your link is an Express, which because of its size is not
covered by the legislation.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

Andy wrote:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

Wrong.

There's no exemption for Xmas day.

There's regulations regarding Easter Sunday trade. I can't remember the
actual square footage quoted in the law, but the regulations only apply
to stores over a certain square footage.

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

It's an Express and will be exempt from Sunday trading and Easter Sunday
trading regulations due to it's size.

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

It's big enough to be regulated.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
RiTSo

:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

--
RiTSo

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

: ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
: close. Is this true?
:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would be a
bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway / Morrisons store
is only 30,000 square *feet*).

checks

It's 3000 square feet, not metres!
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
RiTSo

SteveH wrote:

:: I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
:: square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big
ASDA
:: near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

: As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would
: be a bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway /
Morrisons
: store is only 30,000 square *feet*).
:
: checks
:
: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

Was trying from memory! Sure it started with a '3' and it was
something squared!

Almost right!!

=]

--
RiTSo

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and long!!

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
RiTSo

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

--
RiTSo

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

RiTSo wrote:

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

grin
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , RiTSo
writes
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

Vous avez besoin, peut etre, de les lunettes tres forte

quand you can't see something that size

--
geoff

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Johannes

RiTSo wrote:

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

--
RiTSo

Sorry, but you're all minnows! 3000 square meters is about 54.8m by 54.8m,
or about 180ft by 180ft. Not so large after all.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
me

"RiTSo" wrote in message
. uk...
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

3km x 3km = 9000 square metres

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Bob Eager

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:43:05 UTC, "Sparks" wrote:

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and long!!

On a more modest scale, there's a UK library that's 184 metres long!

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Lordy

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:43:05 +0100, Sparks wrote:

"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

It's probably been posted elsewhere in this thread but

x*y sq m. = x m long * y m wide.

so somewhere that is 55 m square will be 3000 sq. m

You can replace 'm' with 'ft' to work out if your local will be open.

Lordy

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Lordy

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:43:05 +0100, Sparks wrote:

"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

so somewhere that is 55 m square will be 3025 sq. m

You can replace 'm' with 'ft' to work out if your local will be open.

Lordy

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:17:11 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named Lordy
randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

It's probably been posted elsewhere in this thread

Indeed it has. By yourself 7 minutes ago :-)
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
The Decombastulator

in , Sparks wrote:

"SteveH" wrote in message
k... RiTSo
wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

That would be 3000 metres square. 3000 square metres would be about 55
metres wide and long.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Craig Cockburn

In message , SteveH
writes
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

My local ASDA is 100,000 sq ft. That's about 9,300 sq m.

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP,
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Paul Cupis

RiTSo wrote:
I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

That's 8 hours...

10-4 ?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
John Patrick

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Isn't that 8 hours how do they manage to flout the law. All the biggies here
do 10 to 4.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"John Patrick" wrote in message
I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Isn't that 8 hours how do they manage to flout the law. All the biggies
here
do 10 to 4.

As you say; the legislation permits, for the 'biggies' SIX hours _trading_
on Sundays.
We are near a conjoined Tesco- Marks&Sparks site.
Tesco opens 10:00 ~ 16:00 whilst Marks & Sparks opened 11:00 ~ 17:00
{Presumably the management thought that folks would buy their veg off Tesco
then finish up in Marks']. Over the last few months Marks has started to
open at 10:33 ~ 17:00. Oh! The first half-hour is only for 'browsing' - not
trading - and after 17:00? ; if you're _in_ the store they'll _trade_ [take
money in exchange for goods] until the last punter has left the store!
where there's room to wiggle -they'll observe the _letter_ of the law.

--

Brian

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Vittorio Janus

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:56:01 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

where there's room to wiggle -they'll observe the _letter_ of the law.

But of course - that's why laws are *written* and not a politician's
sound-bite
Regards,
vj
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
sandman112

"Andy" wrote in message
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well outdated ...
dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up the town tomorrow
then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase will all be open, and if
they weren't i'd be well ****ed

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Jackie Green

sandman112 wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up
the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase
will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be well ****ed

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening hours a

• Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on opening

• Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and 6pm
Easter Sunday - closed

from:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/sunday.htm

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
sandman112

"Jackie Green" k wrote in
message k...
sandman112 wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

AHHH makes me happy

Q7. Why doesn't this protection extend to Scotland?
The protection was originally introduced by the Sunday Trading Act 1994,
which does not extend to Scotland. The Sunday Working (Scotland) Act 2003
provides protection for shop and betting workers in Scotland.

stupid bloody rules

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Andy

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i
go up the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys,
comet, homebase will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be
well ****ed

On 16 Apr 2006, Jackie
Greenjackie.green@removethisifyouwantmeblueyonder .co.uk wrote:

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening
hours a

 Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on
opening

 Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and
6pm Easter Sunday - closed

Easter Sunday = closed is more like what I remember. Maybe stores
are taking their chances more and more these days by opening at times
when they really should not be.

Guess it's going to be a mad rush in the stores on Monday then.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Jackie Green

Andy wrote:
[...]

not to mention the panic buying that will ahve taken pace on the Fri/Sat cos
the shops are closed for a whoooooole day :-/

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Mad Ad

"Jackie Green" k wrote in
message k...
Andy wrote:
Guess it's going to be a mad rush in the stores on Monday then.

not to mention the panic buying that will ahve taken pace on the Fri/Sat
cos the shops are closed for a whoooooole day :-/

omg of course, thats why sainsburies looked like locusts had decended- next
to no fresh vegetables, none of my favourite pizzas either, many popular
lines decimated, boy was I lucky to get the last remaining granary rolls-
hey I could ebay them, there must be a huge demand.

Ad

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a Sunday
like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able to shop
just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Richard Colton

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them. WTF is the problem with many shoppers? Why
can't they cope if the shops are going to be shut for twenty four hours?

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
jonnyg

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

Must be an immigrant

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
David Wright

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able
to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on Sundays,
and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have really panicked
you!

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening - people just
spread their shopping over more days - if all shops closed on Sundays again,
I wonder if it would affect takings?

D.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
John Patrick

Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well outdated

dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up the town tomorrow
then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase will all be open, and

if
they weren't i'd be well ****ed

You are going to be ****ed then if they are the big shops that normally only
open 10 to 4 or 11 to 5 on other sundays.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Graham Murray

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday rather then Good Friday was the
'taboo' day for opening?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:46:33 +0100, Graham Murray
wrote:

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday rather then Good Friday was the
'taboo' day for opening?

Don't remember that at all. I can remember the banks opening on Good
Friday, and the supermarkets covering up all the booze after some time
in the afternoon, and I think opening it up again at 6-00 pm.

DG

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

news
wrote:

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday rather then Good Friday was the
'taboo' day for opening?

Don't remember that at all. I can remember the banks opening on Good
Friday,

That would suggest a faulty memory - 'Good Friday' being a _BANK HOLIDAY_!
By legislation a day when Banks are not allowed to do business and when
contracts etc. cannot be signed. Once legislation forced _BANKS_ to close
then commerce followed.

DG

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:56:00 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday rather then Good Friday was the
'taboo' day for opening?

Don't remember that at all. I can remember the banks opening on Good
Friday,

That would suggest a faulty memory - 'Good Friday' being a _BANK HOLIDAY_!

Not a faulty memory, no.

By legislation a day when Banks are not allowed to do business and when
contracts etc. cannot be signed. Once legislation forced _BANKS_ to close
then commerce followed.

DG

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"Graham Murray" wrote in message
Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday.

I don't think so. In some parts of the country it was
traditional to work Good Friday and take Tuesday as
a holiday instead.

tim

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed.

GF was not a bank holiday, the banks opened (closing early). The
supermarkets opened.

These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday

Since the Sunday Trading act 1994

Easter Sunday was mandated as an extra no trading day as a concession
to the God botherers.

rather then Good Friday was the 'taboo' day for opening?

It never was, I recall going to the bank on GF, and going shopping in
Asda having to get the booze through the till before some arbitrary
deadline, thereby having to do 2 circuits, booze first then food,
after which all the booze isles were covered over with white sheeting,
until AIR 6-00pm.

How primitive is that?

DG

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

wrote:

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed.

GF was not a bank holiday, the banks opened (closing early). The
supermarkets opened.

These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday

Since the Sunday Trading act 1994

Easter Sunday was mandated as an extra no trading day as a concession
to the God botherers.

rather then Good Friday was the 'taboo' day for opening?

It never was, I recall going to the bank on GF, and going shopping in
Asda

Assuming that by 'GF' you're attempting to claim that you went to a 'bank'
on Good Friday - insinuating that said bank was open for business - could
you please cite the date and branch name and location?
[I too have 'been to a bank' on 'Bank Holidays' , albeit to transact with an
impersonal Automatic Telling Machine (ATM) - but I doubt this meets most
peoples' definition of 'going to the bank'!}

Then; could you please edit the following entry in Wikipedia ... which is
obviously wrong if your claim is credible;-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Holiday
A Bank Holiday is a public holiday in the United Kingdom and also in the
Republic of Ireland. Although there is no legal right to time off on these
days, the majority of the population not employed in essential services
(e.g. utilities, fire, ambulance, police, health-workers) receive them as
holidays; those employed in essential services usually receive extra pay for
working on these days. Bank holidays are so called because they are days
upon which banks are (or were) shut and therefore (traditionally) no other
businesses could operate. Legislation allows certain payments to be deferred
to the next working day

On the one hand , you _could_ be incredibley old and somewhat forgetfull ...
'Good Friday' having been a _Bank Holday_ since ... at least 1834

quote
Prior to 1834, the Bank of England observed about thirty-three saints' days
and religious festivals as holidays, but in 1834, this was drastically
reduced to just four: Good Friday, 1 May, 1 November, and Christmas Day.

/quote

Bank Holiday Act 1871

Note that Good Friday and Christmas Day were not specified for England,
Wales and Ireland because they were already recognized as common-law
holidays there.

Bank Holiday Act 1971

Friday Before Easter ... England+Wales; Northern Ireland = Bank Holiday
Scotland; Republic of Ireland = normal
trading day.

On the other hand -"I recall going to the bank on GF, and going shopping in
Asda " seems somewhat inconsistent with ASDA's "story":

http://asdacares.gpalm.co.uk/the_asd...tory_load.html
quote
Through a process of acquisition and diversification, a new public company
was formed in 1949 - Associated Dairies & Farm Stores Ltd. with Arthur
Stockdale as Managing Director. ....
/quote

So, Banks have been prohibited from opening on Good Friday before and after
the incoporation of ASDA .... according to the law of the land,
Encylcopaedia and common usage ... but _not according_ to You!