Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Harran

Default Having to bleed radiators regularly

Two of my radiators have to be bled about every two weeks, the rest are
fine. I can't figure out how the air is getting into them. Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Martin Harran wrote:
Two of my radiators have to be bled about every two weeks, the rest
are fine. I can't figure out how the air is getting into them. Any
suggestions?

it isn't air, it's hydrogen and it's being produced because you don't
have any inhibitor in the system. drain the system, add a propretory
system cleaner, leave it in for a few weeks, drain the system and
refill after dosing the system with an inhibitor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Martin Harran" writes:
Two of my radiators have to be bled about every two weeks, the rest are
fine. I can't figure out how the air is getting into them. Any suggestions?

What type of system: vented (small tank in the loft for it),
or sealed (pressure guage and filling loop, usually in or near
the boiler)?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

In message , .
writes
it isn't air, it's hydrogen and it's being produced because you don't
have any inhibitor in the system.

Wow, that is marvellous. How do you manage to rule out air and deduce
all of that from the info given by the OP?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

.. wrote:

Martin Harran wrote:
Two of my radiators have to be bled about every two weeks, the rest
are fine. I can't figure out how the air is getting into them. Any
suggestions?

it isn't air, it's hydrogen and it's being produced because you don't
have any inhibitor in the system. drain the system, add a propretory
system cleaner, leave it in for a few weeks, drain the system and
refill after dosing the system with an inhibitor.

That's a very definite 'diagnosis' - based on very little information, and a
lot of assumptions!

It *may* be hydrogen - it may not. How do you *know* that there's no
inhibitor in the system?

To the OP: You need to tell us a bit more about the system - whether it's
sealed (pressurised) or vented and, if vented, whether there's any evidence
of pumping over.

Next time you have to bleed a radiator, test for hydrogen by applying a
lighted taper to the gas which comes out. It it burns with a blue flame,
it's hydrogen.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Harran

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Martin Harran" writes:
Two of my radiators have to be bled about every two weeks, the rest are
fine. I can't figure out how the air is getting into them. Any
suggestions?

What type of system: vented (small tank in the loft for it),
or sealed (pressure guage and filling loop, usually in or near
the boiler)?

Vented, there's no obvious signs of the system boiling over into the venting
tank - i.e. I never hear it doing so but maybe I shlod go up into the loft
and have a look when the heating is on..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Bill wrote:
In message , .
writes
it isn't air, it's hydrogen and it's being produced because you don't
have any inhibitor in the system.

Wow, that is marvellous. How do you manage to rule out air and deduce
all of that from the info given by the OP?

experience ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter

"Martin Harran" writes:
Two of my radiators have to be bled about every two weeks, the rest are
fine. I can't figure out how the air is getting into them. Any
suggestions?

What type of system: vented (small tank in the loft for it),
or sealed (pressure guage and filling loop, usually in or near
the boiler)?

Vented, there's no obvious signs of the system boiling over into the

venting
tank - i.e. I never hear it doing so but maybe I shlod go up into the loft
and have a look when the heating is on..

Any boiling normally vents into your cold water tank. So if you haven't
recently flushed the toilet with warm water you probably are not
overheating. (Besides the rads would be uncommonly hot)

I once lived in a house where one upstairs rad needed total bleeding once a
week and was told that this was because (the right words will fail me here)
the air pressure valve was located too close to the pump/ or was it too
close to where the pipes split to go upstairs. Also this was a rad that
would heat by hot water or by c/h (ie bathroom rad) and no other rad ever
needed bleeding.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Peter wrote:

Any boiling normally vents into your cold water tank. So if you
haven't recently flushed the toilet with warm water you probably are
not overheating.

Eh?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
. wrote:

Martin Harran wrote:
Two of my radiators have to be bled about every two weeks, the rest
are fine. I can't figure out how the air is getting into them. Any
suggestions?

it isn't air, it's hydrogen and it's being produced because you don't
have any inhibitor in the system. drain the system, add a propretory
system cleaner, leave it in for a few weeks, drain the system and
refill after dosing the system with an inhibitor.

That's a very definite 'diagnosis' - based on very little information, and

lot of assumptions!

It *may* be hydrogen - it may not. How do you *know* that there's no
inhibitor in the system?

Agreed, I don't have any inhibitor and I never have to bleed except when the
system is refilled where I have to bleed all season long, but after that not
at all.
Conclusion: It's air! There is an awful lot of it in fresh water. And it
takes along time of continual heat/cool to get it all out.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

Peter wrote:

Any boiling normally vents into your cold water tank. So if you
haven't recently flushed the toilet with warm water you probably are
not overheating.

Eh?
--
Cheers,
Roger
______

exactly Eh I don't know of a system where the toilet is connected to either
tank in the loft let alone the expansion tank for the heating system

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mr Fixit" writes:

exactly Eh I don't know of a system where the toilet is connected to either
tank in the loft let alone the expansion tank for the heating system

Filling the toilet from the cold water storage tank is not uncommon,
although that's nothing to do with the central heating.

--
Andrew Gabriel

difficult bleed screw asalcedo UK diy 6 January 31st 06 11:28 AM
How do I bleed radiators? mr j UK diy 18 January 30th 06 11:19 AM
Adding a new 15mm run for radiators? htmark98 UK diy 18 December 29th 05 11:32 PM
top floor radiators are hot on bottom, cold on top kjpro Home Repair 4 November 16th 03 02:34 PM
Please help - to microbore or not...? Rebecca UK diy 17 August 21st 03 04:05 PM