Senior Member

Default difficult bleed screw

I need to bleed a radiator.

I have the standard bleed key, with a female 5.8mm square (I have measured it).

The problem radiator has a square bleed screw that is slightly smaller than 5.8mm and the bleed key does not grab it.

I believe the bleed screw may have been worn out and that is the reason why the key does not work. However, the edges look in reasonable condition.

I have tried with bent nose plier but it is not enough grip.

Any ideas how I can turn the bleed screw?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

asalcedo wrote:

The problem radiator has a square bleed screw that is slightly smaller
than 5.8mm and the bleed key does not grab it.

Any ideas how I can turn the bleed screw?

Easiest thing may be to replace the whole valve. Have a look at part
number 6918 at www.bes.ltd.uk (failing that a local plumbers merchant)

If you turn off both rad valves and then undo the whole valve assembly
you should spill little water (of if there is enough air in the rad to
start with then none!). Replace with nice new valve and job done.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

asalcedo wrote in message

I need to bleed a radiator.

I have the standard bleed key, with a female 5.8mm square (I have
measured it).

The problem radiator has a square bleed screw that is slightly smaller
than 5.8mm and the bleed key does not grab it.

I believe the bleed screw may have been worn out and that is the reason
why the key does not work. However, the edges look in reasonable
condition.

I have tried with bent nose plier but it is not enough grip.

Any ideas how I can turn the bleed screw?

I measure a standard rad key as 5.38mm, and the rad nipple as 5.25mm [1]
So I would try a new key first,
otherwise a No 10 clock key which is 4.75mm fits most buggered nipples.From
here http://tinyurl.com/92quo

[1] no such word as standard in plumbing

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , asalcedo
writes

I need to bleed a radiator.

I have the standard bleed key, with a female 5.8mm square (I have
measured it).

The problem radiator has a square bleed screw that is slightly smaller
than 5.8mm and the bleed key does not grab it.

I believe the bleed screw may have been worn out and that is the reason
why the key does not work. However, the edges look in reasonable
condition.

I have tried with bent nose plier but it is not enough grip.

Any ideas how I can turn the bleed screw?

Thanks,

Antonio

--
asalcedo

Perhaps the Subject should have been "Bleeding difficult screw" g

--
Richard Faulkner
Senior Member

Hi Mark,

I like your observation about standards in plumbing.

I have measured the rad nipple and it is 4.9mm in my case (in one that I can undo without a problem with my 5.8mm key)

If you tell me your rad key is 5.38mm then I am certainly a lot closer to solving the problem by shopping around with my caliper in hand.

I certainly need this radiator, it is in my office and it does not get warm enough these days.

Thanks,

Antonio

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rumm
asalcedo wrote:

The problem radiator has a square bleed screw that is slightly smaller
than 5.8mm and the bleed key does not grab it.

Any ideas how I can turn the bleed screw?

Easiest thing may be to replace the whole valve. Have a look at part
number 6918 at www.bes.ltd.uk (failing that a local plumbers merchant)

If you turn off both rad valves and then undo the whole valve assembly
you should spill little water (of if there is enough air in the rad to
start with then none!). Replace with nice new valve and job done.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thank you John. That is a good idea. If Mark's suggestions above do not work, I will try that.

Regards,

Antonio
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalcedo
Hi Mark,

I like your observation about standards in plumbing.

I have measured the rad nipple and it is 4.9mm in my case (in one that I can undo without a problem with my 5.8mm key)

If you tell me your rad key is 5.38mm then I am certainly a lot closer to solving the problem by shopping around with my caliper in hand.

I certainly need this radiator, it is in my office and it does not get warm enough these days.

Thanks,

Antonio
Hi Mark,

I found a new key, 5.1 mm, that worked a treat.

Thank you very much

Antonio

Torx screw? patrick j UK diy 5 April 17th 05 11:51 PM
cabinet install- plastic screw anchor Question KJ Home Repair 3 April 1st 05 05:18 AM
How to screw in a light bulb. Alan Beagley Home Repair 43 November 5th 03 01:59 AM
Screw Fix delivery times Maximus Glutimus UK diy 27 September 2nd 03 10:36 PM
imperial grub screw BAH UK diy 1 August 27th 03 11:45 PM