Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

Default Large water containers

I am after some large containers to store water in as part of my irrigation
system.

I currently have two 1400 L barrels (Big black plastic things, formally used
for fruit juice transport) - these were given to me, but this source is now
dry!

The cheapest I have found so far is £50 for two 1000L containers, but with
£53 delivery.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or south
east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

Thanks!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Sparks"
saying something like:

I am after some large containers to store water in as part of my irrigation
system.

I currently have two 1400 L barrels (Big black plastic things, formally used
for fruit juice transport) - these were given to me, but this source is now
dry!

The cheapest I have found so far is £50 for two 1000L containers, but with
£53 delivery.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or south
east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

These 1000L containers, are they IBC ones? They can be found all over
the place. For example, just 1 mile from me there is a joinery factory
with glue delivered in IBC containers and they sell the empties off for
20 quid a time.
Have a look closer to home, you'll find some for sure.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

The cheapest I have found so far is £50 for two 1000L containers, but with
£53 delivery.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or
south
east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

These 1000L containers, are they IBC ones? They can be found all over
the place. For example, just 1 mile from me there is a joinery factory
with glue delivered in IBC containers and they sell the empties off for
20 quid a time.
Have a look closer to home, you'll find some for sure.

Yup, they are the ones!

Like this one on eBay for example...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7608990739

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Sparks
writes
I am after some large containers to store water in as part of my irrigation
system.

I currently have two 1400 L barrels (Big black plastic things, formally used
for fruit juice transport) - these were given to me, but this source is now
dry!

The cheapest I have found so far is £50 for two 1000L containers, but with
£53 delivery.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or south
east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

Try local small farms. 1000litre plastic containers (deposit £60.00)
tend to get left on farm when a modest livestock enterprise ceases
operation.

There appears to be no way of persuading the original supplier to
retrieve his property and repay the deposit. You can have mine for a
tenner, collected central Herts. They are used for transporting liquid
waste from the distilling industry which can be fed to ruminants;
usually to enhance the intake of feed straw. They may well have other
industrial uses as they are stackable and intended for fork truck
handling.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan

In message , Sparks
wrote

Like this one on eBay for example...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7608990739

New or used?

" They are brand new and USED ONLY ONCE "

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:45:11 +0100, "Sparks"
wrote:

I am after some large containers to store water in as part of my irrigation
system.

I currently have two 1400 L barrels (Big black plastic things, formally used
for fruit juice transport) - these were given to me, but this source is now
dry!

The cheapest I have found so far is £50 for two 1000L containers, but with
£53 delivery.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or south
east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

Thanks!

Sparks...

Keep your eyes open on eBay, there are loads, esp if you include old
single skin oil tanks.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
..

"Sparks" wrote in message
I am after some large containers to store water in as part of my irrigation
system.

I currently have two 1400 L barrels (Big black plastic things, formally
used for fruit juice transport) - these were given to me, but this source
is now dry!

The cheapest I have found so far is £50 for two 1000L containers, but with
£53 delivery.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or
south east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

Phone Schweppes at Orpington.
2000l black juice containers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

".." wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message
I am after some large containers to store water in as part of my
irrigation system.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or
south east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

Phone Schweppes at Orpington.
2000l black juice containers.

Thanks for that, I totally forgot about them - they are only a couple of
miles away too!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

".." wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message
I am after some large containers to store water in as part of my
irrigation system.

I currently have two 1400 L barrels (Big black plastic things, formally
used for fruit juice transport) - these were given to me, but this source
is now dry!

The cheapest I have found so far is £50 for two 1000L containers, but
with £53 delivery.

Does anyone know of a source of this type of container in the south or
south east, as the only ones I can find are up north!

Phone Schweppes at Orpington.
2000l black juice containers.

Any idea what department I need to talk to - the woman on the switchboard
was useless!

"Sorry, but I don't know who you would need to speak to, what department
would you like to be put through to?"

Any ideas!?

Ta!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Sparks" contains these words:

Any ideas!?

Big(ish) tanks come up on eBay all the time...
http://tinyurl.com/qwxx8
for example.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Sparks" contains these words:

Any ideas!?

Big(ish) tanks come up on eBay all the time...
http://tinyurl.com/qwxx8
for example.

True, but they all seem to be miles and miles away from me (This one is 130
miles away)
the delivery charge tends to be around £50 for two of them - I would rather
source some nearer, and go and collect them.

I am looking for, probably about 4000L storage to add to the 3000L I already
have (My neighbour wants some too)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Sparks wrote:
I am looking for, probably about 4000L storage to add to the 3000L I already
have (My neighbour wants some too)

Why don't you make a tank? Use timber framing with whatever sheet
material you can lay your hands on, and line with polythene damp
proof membrane.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
I am looking for, probably about 4000L storage to add to the 3000L I
already have (My neighbour wants some too)

Why don't you make a tank? Use timber framing with whatever sheet
material you can lay your hands on, and line with polythene damp
proof membrane.

Time is the main factor, and secondly, I was hoping to place several smaller
ones in different locations (Linked) so the water from the garage roof (at
the top of the garden) will also be harvested.

It looks like the square plastic ones in the metal cages are stackable too!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Large water containers - rainwater collection

Is there an off-the-peg device for diverting rainwater from a downpipe
into one of these tanks i.e. so it stops when full etc?

cheers

Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

wrote in message
ups.com...

Is there an off-the-peg device for diverting rainwater from a downpipe
into one of these tanks i.e. so it stops when full etc?

Yes, there is a thing you cut into the down pipe, that will do this,
however, it will also divert any crud into your tanks too!
Second to last item here
http://www.forabeautifulgarden.com/c...s_details.php4

I have mine setup so water goes into a small water butt, via a large pond
plant basket (http://www.arghamvillage.co.uk/produ...tails/502.html) then
through a bucket of gravel.
(The bucket has two large holes in the bottom, with two of the smallest
baskets over them, to stop the gravel escaping!

In this butt, there is a cheap (£20 from Netto) pump with a float switch,
this pumps the clean(er) water into my main storage via some 1" pipe (it's
actually the flexible pipe the cable companies use to run their cable from
the road to your house, because I had some!)

Then on the highest point of my main storage, there is an overflow to the
drain.

I will at some point, put a float switch in the main storage, so when it is
full, the pump in the small water butt does not activate (There is also an
overflow on this smaller butt to the drain)

Sparks...