Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Cost of Single Glazed Window .

I will be getting a couple of estimates but for now,has anyone any idea how
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .
I know different parts of the country will differ as to cost ....I'm in Glasgow
...I'll probably go for a smaller company .There is a glazing company near me
that also does upvc .
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:28:22 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

I will be getting a couple of estimates but for now,has anyone any idea how
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .
I know different parts of the country will differ as to cost ....I'm in Glasgow
..I'll probably go for a smaller company .There is a glazing company near me
that also does upvc .
Stuart

Probably more than doubble glazed.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I will be getting a couple of estimates but for now,has anyone any idea
how
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .

It might be hard to find, given that in most cases fitting them is illegal.
Is there is a reason it needs to be single glazed?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
I will be getting a couple of estimates but for now,has anyone any idea

how
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .

It might be hard to find, given that in most cases fitting them is illegal.
Is there is a reason it needs to be single glazed?

Christian.

They are not strictly illegal...building regs basically means you
shouldn't repair to a WORSE standard of insulation...but if you are
going for something as horrid as UPVC, it seems weird to not use double
glazing...aesthetics are hardly and issue are they?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Christian McArdle wrote:
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .

It might be hard to find, given that in most cases fitting them is illegal.
Is there is a reason it needs to be single glazed?

What's the recommended fine and prison sentence?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It
will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .

It might be hard to find, given that in most cases fitting them is
illegal.
Is there is a reason it needs to be single glazed?

What's the recommended fine and prison sentence?

Basically you can be ordered to remove them, and replace..and if they
make an issue, fine you, and if you fail to pay, ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

They are not strictly illegal...building regs basically means you
shouldn't repair to a WORSE standard of insulation...

Installing a new window complete with frame doesn't count as a repair and
must be done to current standard, with some exceptions.

The exceptions basically amount to sheds and listed buildings if you can
convince the council.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Christian McArdle wrote:

They are not strictly illegal...building regs basically means you
shouldn't repair to a WORSE standard of insulation...

Installing a new window complete with frame doesn't count as a repair and
must be done to current standard, with some exceptions.

The exceptions basically amount to sheds and listed buildings if you can
convince the council.

Christian.

listed buildings:

I thought you just got the BCO and the Conservation Officer in a room, have
a cuppa, then see who's still standing

Then send the video to Channel Five :-

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Chris Bacon wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .

It might be hard to find, given that in most cases fitting them is
illegal. Is there is a reason it needs to be single glazed?

What's the recommended fine and prison sentence?

5000 quid and/or 6 months free B+B

My understanding is this applies if they catch you for failure to notify,
within 6 months of the job. 12 months and they can make you rectify it.

After that I think action is reduced to special cases, presumably in the
case of a dangerous situation remaining.

But I'm hazy of the exact details... Ask in uk.legal.moderated if you want a
precise answer.

Let's put this in context thought. I've recently been round several houses
trying to find something I can afford that isn't crap (hard) and I've seen
various things that have been done and that should have been declared under
Part L (and possibly other docs) and haven't been. Round my way, no-one
really seems to care much beyond structural work.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
They are not strictly illegal...building regs basically means you
shouldn't repair to a WORSE standard of insulation...

Installing a new window complete with frame doesn't count as a repair and
must be done to current standard, with some exceptions.

The exceptions basically amount to sheds and listed buildings if you can
convince the council.

Christian.

Not quite.

IF you markedly improve insulation in the area to which the window is
fitted, and can demonstrate that the loss subsequently is less than
would have been the case with a double glazed unit alone, the BCO will
let if through.

However, its not worth the argument unless there is some special
aesthetic reason to retain SG. With U PVC specified, aesthetics don't
really feature though..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Cost of Single Glazed Window .(update)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:34:52 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I will be getting a couple of estimates but for now,has anyone any idea

how
much it would be to supply and fit a singl glazed upvc window .It will be
roughly 36" wide by 90" tall,one part fixed,one part opening .

It might be hard to find, given that in most cases fitting them is illegal.
Is there is a reason it needs to be single glazed?

Christian.

No reason at all other than I thought it might be cheaper but anyway the first
guy to quote came out this morning and SG or DG wasn't even mentioned,mainly
because I forgot and he probably doesn't even think of SG nowadays . A 3' x 7'6"
window ,tilt and turn at top 2/3rds and a fixed bit below was quoted at £400 .
Mid sized company ..

The second guy suggested a double tilt and turn as the handle on the upper part
will be quite high and it also allows easier access for cleaning etc .Cost to be
notified in a couple of days .
Small sized local glazier

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]