Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cyberdog

Default Skimming an artexed ceiling

Hi,
Some time ago I asked about skimming an artexed ceiling, and someone said "
give it two coats". What I now want to know is:

1) how long do I have to leave the first coat before giving the second skim.
2) do I have to PVA the first coat like I had to do with the original ceiling
before I can give the second skim coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Cyberdog wrote:
Hi,
Some time ago I asked about skimming an artexed ceiling, and someone
said " give it two coats". What I now want to know is:

1) how long do I have to leave the first coat before giving the
second skim. 2) do I have to PVA the first coat like I had to do with
the original ceiling before I can give the second skim coat.

I coat should do it,but if your not able to put it on thick then put the
first skim on the wait 45 minutes and apply the second skim.
Its best to do it whilst the first skim is still slightly managable as it
will mix well with the second skim rather than have two thin skims which
will tend to crack more easily the thicker you put it on the less chance it
has of cracking.
Best to PVA the ceiling as there might be grease ect,ect on the ceiling.
Personnaly I'd wash it down with diluted bleach first.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken

We skim Artexed ceilings quite a lot and the way we do it is to quickly
knock off all peaks with scrapers, apply PVA to an area and then skim whilst
pva still tacky. If the Artex has a deep pattern, a second coat is applied
when the first has gone off a bit. Never had any trouble.

ken

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Cyberdog writes:
Hi,
Some time ago I asked about skimming an artexed ceiling, and someone said "
give it two coats". What I now want to know is:

1) how long do I have to leave the first coat before giving the second skim.
2) do I have to PVA the first coat like I had to do with the original ceiling
before I can give the second skim coat.

You normally follow on the second coat immediately after having
finished the first coat. Ideally, the first coat should be almost
set, and still fully wet. If you can't do this due to time
constraints and the second coat has to go on when the ceiling has
dried, then you will need to use PVA between coats.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Ken" wrote in message
We skim Artexed ceilings quite a lot and the way we do it is to quickly
knock off all peaks with scrapers, apply PVA to an area and then skim

whilst
pva still tacky. If the Artex has a deep pattern, a second coat is applied
when the first has gone off a bit. Never had any trouble.

ken

====================
What do you use for skimming - more Artex or finish plaster?

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:

I coat should do it,but if your not able to put it on thick then put the
first skim on the wait 45 minutes and apply the second skim.

If the artex is still up, I don't think you'd ever cover it and
polish in one coat of multifinish, without it ending up too thick for
a finish coat. Assuming all the artex peaks such as any stalactites
have been knocked off first, the first coat should pretty much
bring the the surface level with the remaining artex peaks, but
won't be polishable as they'll come through. The second coat adds
a polishable layer on top, which is guaranteed to be clear of the
artex peaks.

You might do it with one-coat plaster, but I've never used that so
I can't really comment on it, other than to say that no professional
will use it.

Best to PVA the ceiling as there might be grease ect,ect on the ceiling.
Personnaly I'd wash it down with diluted bleach first.

Why? You might want to wash it with a decorating degreaser such as
sugar soap if it's really bad, but bleach isn't going to wash off
anything that plain water doesn't.

--
Andrew Gabriel

My ceiling needs some tlc - cover up or replace? none UK diy 5 February 27th 06 03:42 PM
Finishing off a basement Step 1 ? 46erjoe Home Repair 16 February 1st 06 05:01 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures?? Ray Home Repair 3 November 23rd 03 01:50 AM