PM

Default Not the usual SDS question

Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO why I
should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog one thing
struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling, even on fairly
expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is this right? Surely SDS
can go deeper than that! What have I missed?

Thanks

Pete

Jonathan@Home

PM wrote:
Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO
why I should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog
one thing struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling,
even on fairly expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is
this right? Surely SDS can go deeper than that! What have I missed?

Thanks

Pete

If you are reading 22mm that is the diameter of the hole nots it's depth

Cheers
Jonathan

Chris Oates

"PM" wrote in message
Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO why I
should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog one thing
struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling, even on fairly
expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is this right? Surely

SDS
can go deeper than that! What have I missed?

for depth read diameter

Dave Plowman

In article ,
PM wrote:
Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO why
I should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog one thing
struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling, even on
fairly expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is this right?
Surely SDS can go deeper than that! What have I missed?

The depth you can drill is only really limited by the length of the drill.
The diameter, now, is a different matter. ;-)

If you're repointing an old house with lime mortar, I'd be careful not to
rake out too much. On mine I found it easier to do by hand using a
plugging chisel.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
chris French

In message , PM
writes

"Jonathan@Home" wrote in message
PM wrote:
Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO
why I should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog
one thing struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling,
even on fairly expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is
this right? Surely SDS can go deeper than that! What have I missed?

If you are reading 22mm that is the diameter of the hole nots it's depth

AAAARGH!!! I FEEL SO STUPID!!!! The actual phrase is "maximum capacity xx
mm"

Don't worry it made me smile :-)

Not sure an SDS is the tool for this sort of job though.
--
Chris French, Leeds

David Hearn

PM wrote:
Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO
why I should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog
one thing struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling,
even on fairly expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is
this right? Surely SDS can go deeper than that! What have I missed?

If you are reading 22mm that is the diameter of the hole nots it's

depth

AAAARGH!!! I FEEL SO STUPID!!!! The actual phrase is "maximum capacity xx
mm"

Don't worry it made me smile :-)

Not sure an SDS is the tool for this sort of job though.

Yeah, before you know it, you're through the to the cavity and taking bricks
out on the inside!

BillR

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
PM wrote:
Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO
why I should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog
one thing struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling,
even on fairly expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is
this right? Surely SDS can go deeper than that! What have I missed?

The depth you can drill is only really limited by the length of the
drill. The diameter, now, is a different matter. ;-)

If you're repointing an old house with lime mortar, I'd be careful
not to rake out too much. On mine I found it easier to do by hand
using a plugging chisel.

Isn't there a special angle grinder bit for this? I believe screwfix stock
it.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
geoff wrote:
If you're repointing an old house with lime mortar, I'd be careful not
to rake out too much. On mine I found it easier to do by hand using a
plugging chisel.

Yes, but you weren't trying to justify the purchase of a new toy were
you

Yebbut you don't have to justify it on here. ;-)

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Andrew McKay

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 08:57:21 +0100, "PM"
wrote:

Maybe not, but it's the justification for buying it!!!!!

Too right!

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

geoff

In message , PM
writes
--

Maybe not, but it's the justification for buying it!!!!!

I hear an echo ...
--
geoff
PM

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , PM
writes
--

Maybe not, but it's the justification for buying it!!!!!

I hear an echo ...
--
geoff

That's justification for buying ear defenders...

Pete