Posted to uk.d-i-y
RB News

Default Self levelling laser spirit level advice sought

I have a rather unusual application for a self levelling spirit level and
wondered if anyone here could advise of a suitable type.

I want to use it to level a motorcaravan when parking it on site; the idea
would be to mark a plumbline within sight of the driver's seat and use the
laser line to indicate when level, preferable side-to-side as well as
fore-aft. So the instrument would have to find its own plumb level. It could
either be mag mounted on the dash or hung from the rear view mirror.
Naturally, I'd be looking for the least expensive model that would perform
this job. Having looked at various sites, I am completely confused! The
price range seems enormous and I can't see any relevance to spec. Anyone got
any suggestions?

cheers
Rog

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that RB News formulated :
I have a rather unusual application for a self levelling spirit level and
wondered if anyone here could advise of a suitable type.

I want to use it to level a motorcaravan when parking it on site; the idea
would be to mark a plumbline within sight of the driver's seat and use the
laser line to indicate when level, preferable side-to-side as well as
fore-aft. So the instrument would have to find its own plumb level. It could
either be mag mounted on the dash or hung from the rear view mirror.
Naturally, I'd be looking for the least expensive model that would perform
this job. Having looked at various sites, I am completely confused! The
price range seems enormous and I can't see any relevance to spec. Anyone got
any suggestions?

What is wrong with a low tech solution such as a bit of string and a
plum-bob?

Use an old fashioned bubble level to get the thing level side to side
and end to end first, then hang the plum-bob from a set point. Now put
a mark at the point of the plum-bob. A suitable hanging point might be
from the internal rear view mirror, with a mark on top of the dash to
aim for.

Alternatively you can get circular bubble levels which allow you to get
both fore and aft, plus side to side correct. Another type has two
separate small bubble levels in one unit. All you do is get the van
level with a normal bubble level as above, then fix the permanent level
adjusting it as necessary with packing pieces to show level.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

RB News wrote:
I have a rather unusual application for a self levelling spirit level and
wondered if anyone here could advise of a suitable type.

I want to use it to level a motorcaravan when parking it on site; the idea
would be to mark a plumbline within sight of the driver's seat and use the
laser line to indicate when level, preferable side-to-side as well as

Umm. Why?
Park on a nice flat surface.
Obtain some plastercine and a bubble level glass, or some "epoxy putty" if
you want it more permenant.
Put the blob of plastercine somewhere convenient on the dash, put bubble
level on top, wobble it around till it's level.
Trim off excess, and you're done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RB News

Thanks Harry and Ian for the suggestions. I already have a bubble spirit
level with two phials fixed at right angles, which is what I use when SWMBO
is driving. I place this on the top of the shelf above the 'frig which I
know to be fairly level and stand in the back whilst she maneouvres into a
level ground position, or onto the ramps if need be. However, I am now
using the 'van for business and want to be able to level it on my own. Of
course, your suggestions of fixing the spirit level in the cab where I can
see it, fixed in place whilst on a known level surface, make excellent
sense; I also particularly like Harry's idea of the plumbob suspended from
the rear view mirror over a dot.
Of course, both of these ideas have now blown my excuse for getting a fancy
gimble-mounted, gyroscopically levelled laser unit completely out of the
water. You do know that in life, he who dies owning the most gadgets, wins?
Robert Dyas are advertising the B&D LZR4 360deg self-levelling c/w folding
tripod case for only £30 . . .
cheers
Roger
a.k.a. Inspector Gadget

Laser level??? Sorta........ Tom Metalworking 9 December 30th 03 10:19 AM
Condensation – Is this a good solution? - Advice Sought Robin Smith UK diy 14 December 27th 03 09:48 PM
Laser Level Kit PoP UK diy 23 November 3rd 03 11:34 PM
laser level safety googles Grunff UK diy 6 August 29th 03 07:03 PM