Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren Cooper

Default kitchen lighting wiring

Hi,
I'm having a new kitchen next week and will be wiring a few extra sockets in
the existing ring-main and also I want to add under-cabinet lighting to the
cupboards.
What I need to know is can I power these lights from the sockets ring-main
or do they *have* to be powered from the lighting ring? I understand part P
(I think!) and have notified the council as I have had other building work
at the same time so I know I need to have this inspected after I have done
it and I want it to be right! I have wired a couple of houses up before but
always with seperate socket and lighting rings so this is slightly
different.
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Darren Cooper" writes:
Hi,
I'm having a new kitchen next week and will be wiring a few extra sockets in
the existing ring-main and also I want to add under-cabinet lighting to the
cupboards.
What I need to know is can I power these lights from the sockets ring-main
or do they *have* to be powered from the lighting ring?

Either is fine. In the case of the ring circuit, the lights must
be fused, typically by using an FCU. Personally, I prefer to run
them off the lighting circuit so they are all swiched by the
doorway, rather than having to wander around the kitchen to turn
all the lights on or off.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren Cooper

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Darren Cooper" writes:
Hi,
I'm having a new kitchen next week and will be wiring a few extra sockets
in
the existing ring-main and also I want to add under-cabinet lighting to
the
cupboards.
What I need to know is can I power these lights from the sockets
ring-main
or do they *have* to be powered from the lighting ring?

Either is fine. In the case of the ring circuit, the lights must
be fused, typically by using an FCU. Personally, I prefer to run
them off the lighting circuit so they are all swiched by the
doorway, rather than having to wander around the kitchen to turn
all the lights on or off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

thanks all
Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Darren Cooper" writes:
Hi,
I'm having a new kitchen next week and will be wiring a few extra sockets in
the existing ring-main and also I want to add under-cabinet lighting to the
cupboards.
What I need to know is can I power these lights from the sockets ring-main
or do they *have* to be powered from the lighting ring?

Either is fine. In the case of the ring circuit, the lights must
be fused, typically by using an FCU. Personally, I prefer to run
them off the lighting circuit so they are all swiched by the
doorway, rather than having to wander around the kitchen to turn
all the lights on or off.

Yeah, in the last kitchen I had the under cabinet lights two way
switched from the doorway and under the cabinet. The ones in the current
house with just a switch under the cabinet are a pain
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Blaukopf

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Darren Cooper" writes:

Hi,
I'm having a new kitchen next week and will be wiring a few extra sockets in
the existing ring-main and also I want to add under-cabinet lighting to the
cupboards.
What I need to know is can I power these lights from the sockets ring-main
or do they *have* to be powered from the lighting ring?

Either is fine. In the case of the ring circuit, the lights must
be fused, typically by using an FCU. Personally, I prefer to run
them off the lighting circuit so they are all swiched by the
doorway, rather than having to wander around the kitchen to turn
all the lights on or off.

I put a set of lights in my last kitchen which required a 3A fuse - i.e.
they needed an FCU even on the lighting circuit.

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Darren Cooper" writes:
Hi,
I'm having a new kitchen next week and will be wiring a few extra sockets
in
the existing ring-main and also I want to add under-cabinet lighting to
the
cupboards.
What I need to know is can I power these lights from the sockets
ring-main
or do they *have* to be powered from the lighting ring?

Either is fine. In the case of the ring circuit, the lights must
be fused, typically by using an FCU. Personally, I prefer to run
them off the lighting circuit so they are all swiched by the
doorway, rather than having to wander around the kitchen to turn
all the lights on or off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks all for the advice
Darren

Kitchen Lighting [email protected] Home Repair 7 November 8th 05 02:28 AM
Kitchen Remodel Wiring [email protected] Home Repair 11 October 30th 05 03:29 AM
"Which?" Book of Wiring and Lighting - Out Of Print Everywhere EC UK diy 20 April 28th 05 08:16 AM
Lighting in Kitchen SantaUK UK diy 11 October 18th 04 09:14 AM
Wiring freestanding lamps into lighting circuit Tom W UK diy 15 October 9th 04 07:45 PM