Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

Default Consumer [Unit] Choice

I am considering turning the calendar back to 2004 to do some electrical
work but can't make up my mind which consumer unit to install. The
Screwfix catalogue has at least 4 that would suit so has anyone any
comment on the reliability or otherwise of the units listed below.

Wylex flexible split 12 way at £72.50
Volex split 12 way at £58.98
Crabtree split 10 way at £69.87
MK split 12 way at £74.94

Pricewise all much of a muchness.

I need at least 9 circuits but would prefer 10.

I am puzzled by the variation in description. If the blurb is to be
believed the Wylex only has 9 ways although the illustrations appear to
show at least 10 for all of them. The MK is a 6 - 4 split and I presume
the RCD side is the 4 but if it is 6 then it will not be suitable.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
I am considering turning the calendar back to 2004 to do some electrical
work but can't make up my mind which consumer unit to install. The
Screwfix catalogue has at least 4 that would suit so has anyone any
comment on the reliability or otherwise of the units listed below.

Wylex flexible split 12 way at £72.50
Volex split 12 way at £58.98
Crabtree split 10 way at £69.87
MK split 12 way at £74.94

Pricewise all much of a muchness.

I need at least 9 circuits but would prefer 10.

I am puzzled by the variation in description. If the blurb is to be
believed the Wylex only has 9 ways although the illustrations appear to
show at least 10 for all of them. The MK is a 6 - 4 split and I presume
the RCD side is the 4 but if it is 6 then it will not be suitable.

I fitted 3 Volex one over the last 2 years or so. They are just fine,
although the plastic feels a little on the cheap side. But then again, who
cares about that really?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

Roger wrote:
I am considering turning the calendar back to 2004 to do some electrical
work but can't make up my mind which consumer unit to install. The
Screwfix catalogue has at least 4 that would suit so has anyone any
comment on the reliability or otherwise of the units listed below.

Wylex flexible split 12 way at £72.50
Volex split 12 way at £58.98
Crabtree split 10 way at £69.87
MK split 12 way at £74.94

Pricewise all much of a muchness.

??do these prices include MCBs?

tlc quote 32.85+vat for a 14 way split load Contactum (without MCBs)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...4slash80N.html

14 Way Split Board with 100A Switch + 80A 30mA RCD

split point is variable allowing 5 to 8 ways on the RCD side - you cut
the Cu bus to suit your choice.

Other sizes are listed at proportionate prices.

Contactum is a high quality brand

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message .com
from "jim_in_sussex" contains these words:

Wylex flexible split 12 way at £72.50
Volex split 12 way at £58.98
Crabtree split 10 way at £69.87
MK split 12 way at £74.94

Pricewise all much of a muchness.

??do these prices include MCBs?

Yes. Although I might have to buy the odd one or two extra to get the
circuit protection I want.

tlc quote 32.85+vat for a 14 way split load Contactum (without MCBs)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...4slash80N.html

14 Way Split Board with 100A Switch + 80A 30mA RCD

split point is variable allowing 5 to 8 ways on the RCD side - you cut
the Cu bus to suit your choice.

Other sizes are listed at proportionate prices.

Contactum is a high quality brand

I will give them a look although overall that looks a bit more expensive
than the ones I originally listed. I haven't dealt with tlc-direct
before while I do have a current Screwfix catalogue to thumb through at
my leisure. (I am waiting to see what is currently just over the horizon
before taking the plunge with broadband).

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Roger wrote:
[...]

Go for the Volex. Must have fitted a dozen over the last year and are
well worth the money. The bus bar is in one length so you can cut it
where you like, not just 6 plus 6. Yes they are plastic but I have not
found them to be that flimsy.
Regards
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"legin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Roger wrote:
[...]

If you call at edmundson-electrical and buy 2 Volex boards you get a free
easter egg. The problem is Volex are **** and I would prefer a free Volex CU
with 2 Easter eggs from the Easter Egg shop. There is very little room to
place the cables in a fully loaded (or nearly fully loaded) 12 way Volex
board. The Crabree and Wylex CUs have more top space than the Volex. The
Crabree and Wylex have identical casings to each other with a different
layout on the RCD and earth and neutral bars (They also have totally
different MCBs with the Crabtree MCB being the creme de la creme for fitting
and changing)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White

Roger wrote:

I am considering turning the calendar back to 2004 to do some electrical
work but can't make up my mind which consumer unit to install. The
Screwfix catalogue has at least 4 that would suit so has anyone any
comment on the reliability or otherwise of the units listed below.

Wylex flexible split 12 way at £72.50
Volex split 12 way at £58.98
Crabtree split 10 way at £69.87
MK split 12 way at £74.94

Pricewise all much of a muchness.

Find your local independent electrical wholesaler from Yellow Pages,
ring them up (or better still go in), tell them what you want and see
what they can offer.

Prices can vary enormously depending what they have in stock. One
wholesaler I use was selling a 10 way split box *with MCBs* for 36
quid plus VAT a month or so back.

The MK is a 6 - 4 split and I presume
the RCD side is the 4 but if it is 6 then it will not be suitable.

Most units cone with (or have as an accessory) replacement busbars
which allow you to adjust the split point to where you want it to be
(e.g. 8+2 rather than 6+4) rather than where the manufacturer has set
it.

John
--
John White,