Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm

Default Testing Microwave Ovens for MW Leakage

Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

If the phone rings the MW is leaking Micro Waves. If it doesnt its Ok.

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Bookworm wrote:
Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

If the phone rings the MW is leaking Micro Waves. If it doesnt its Ok.

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

I think someone's having you on.

....she didn't notice a camera crew nearby did she?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Bookworm wrote:
Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

Bull****.
Due to the way the microwasve works, it only ever can emit one
wavelength of microwaves.
The door structure is designed to trap these.
It does not, as it used to in the very dim and distant past, use closely
fitting seals that need to be monitored and serviced, but is inherent in
the design of the door.

As long as the door is not physically damaged, it will stop microwaves
getting out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"Bookworm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

If the phone rings the MW is leaking Micro Waves. If it doesnt its Ok.

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

I would love to see the look on the shop assistant's faces! Interesting way
to test them out, but don't forget that phones work on different frequencies
and some operate on a third of the frequency so the shielding isn't designed
for that.
It's an unreliable test.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Bookworm wrote:
Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

If the phone rings the MW is leaking Micro Waves. If it doesnt its Ok.

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

Your daughter will get a bigger radiation dose from making the one call
on her mobile phone (ie absorbing up to half a watt of radiation in the
region of the ear) than she will in years of using a leaky microwave
oven so its not a problem. And no one has proved that even the mobile
phone is a health hazard as yet. So the oven problem is not worth
worrying about.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Cornish

Bookworm wrote:
Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

If the phone rings the MW is leaking Micro Waves. If it doesnt its Ok.

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

Someone definitely having you on there...

A mobile communicates using radio waves on a different frequency to
those used for microwaves. The shielding around a microwave oven stopes
the microwave frequencies, but not radio frequencies.
If you stuck some microwave food in there and it comes out piping hot,
then I'd be worried.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:45:17 +0100, Ian Cornish
wrote:

A mobile communicates using radio waves on a different frequency to
those used for microwaves. The shielding around a microwave oven stopes
the microwave frequencies, but not radio frequencies.

Ermm - microwaves ARE radio waves...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Cornish

wrote:

A mobile communicates using radio waves on a different frequency to
those used for microwaves. The shielding around a microwave oven stopes
the microwave frequencies, but not radio frequencies.

Ermm - microwaves ARE radio waves...

So is light, it's all in the frequency on the electromagnetic spectrum.

Microwaves tend to be in the 1-10cm wavelength, and radio waves in the
50cm-1000m wavelengths. Your mobile phone uses a frequency of either
2Ghz(UMTS/3G) or either 900MHz or 1800MHz for 2G (older) phones.
2Ghz is about 14cm wavelength, which is beyond (just) the wavelength for
cooking things.
1800MHz is about a 16cm wavelength.

Microwave ovens use 2.45Ghz, a long way (frequency speaking) from the
top end of mobile phone frequencies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:03:30 +0100, Howard Neil wrote:

Wasn't the Saturday before last, was it? ;-)

That would be, let me see now ...

Try this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37757

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 9 Apr 2006 07:03:48 -0700, Bookworm wrote:

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

What network is she on? This only works on 3G networks, like "3".

Microwave ovens operate on a frequency of 2.450GHz (2450GHz). Most
mobile phones operate on 800MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz or 1900MHz.

To get faster data rates, the 3G networks use a higher frequency,
2.1GHz, this is close enough to the frequency used in microwave ovens.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

wrote:

Bookworm wrote:
Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

If the phone rings the MW is leaking Micro Waves. If it doesnt its Ok.

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

Someone definitely having you on there...

A mobile communicates using radio waves on a different frequency to
those used for microwaves.

Yes, microwaves use a higher frequency and a shorter wavelength.

The wavelength sitipulates the quality (permissible size of holes) of
the screening, it's more stringent than any mobile phone wavelength.

OTOH nothing is perfect & mobile phones are by there nature very very
sensitive.

Whether a mobile phone will ring or not in a microwave oven is not a
valid test as to whether the microwave oven will emit harmful
radiations when used.

The shielding around a microwave oven stopes
the microwave frequencies, but not radio frequencies.

No not the case.

If you stuck some microwave food in there and it comes out piping hot,
then I'd be worried.

Touch of the Tommy Coopers there.

What if she put a bell in it and it came out wringing?

Should she call a plumber?

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:40:49 +0100, Derek ^ wrote:

What if she put a bell in it and it came out wringing?
Should she call a plumber?

Yes, there would have to be a water leak.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bookworm wrote:

Hi.

Can anyone help?

I have been told that to test a Microwave for leakage of 'waves' put
your mobile phone inside it, (dont turn the MW on) and ring up the
mobile.

If the phone rings the MW is leaking Micro Waves. If it doesnt its Ok.

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

to test an oven for leakage, inspect door and check it closes propeply,
examine metal cooking cavity to check there are no rust holes, and
thats it, job done. Detector instruments are a waste of whatever theyre
made of.

Note this doesnt apply to microwaves from the 1970s and earlier, which
use energy absorbing seals and inadequate interlock systems, and are
best disposed of. On the worst one I've seen the door could be opened
2" or 3" while it was still cooking, thankfully theyre not usually that
bad.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:18:16 +0100, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On 9 Apr 2006 07:03:48 -0700, Bookworm wrote:

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

What network is she on? This only works on 3G networks, like "3".

Microwave ovens operate on a frequency of 2.450GHz (2450GHz). Most
mobile phones operate on 800MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz or 1900MHz.

To get faster data rates, the 3G networks use a higher frequency,
2.1GHz, this is close enough to the frequency used in microwave ovens.

Thought microwaves used about 600MHz. Possibly phones operating at 1800MHz
will be blocked since the 1/4 wave traps on the microwave door will be 3/4
wave at 1800Megs. But I might be talking obblox :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 01:19:19 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Thought microwaves used about 600MHz.

Nope. 2.45GHz

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:49:23 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

Thought microwaves used about 600MHz.

Nope. 2.45GHz

There is a resonant point of water molecules there.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:49:23 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

Thought microwaves used about 600MHz.

Nope. 2.45GHz

There is a resonant point of water molecules there.

All domestics are 2.45G, but ISTR reading that some catering micros use
1.9GHz, just in case the OP has an old catering oven. I forget why the
different f, and googling didnt confirm anything.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:18:16 +0100, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

What network is she on? This only works on 3G networks, like "3".

Microwave ovens operate on a frequency of 2.450GHz (2450GHz). Most
mobile phones operate on 800MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz or 1900MHz.

To get faster data rates, the 3G networks use a higher frequency,
2.1GHz, this is close enough to the frequency used in microwave ovens.

So, nobody going to rise to the bait? It is amazing how much you can
bluff if there are a few likely sounding facts. My post saying 3G
mobiles being able to test microwave ovens is complete ********.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:18:16 +0100, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

My Daughter has been trying this in a shop and mostly the phone rings
on the cheaper models but in one or two of the dearer ones it doesnt.

Any clues?

What network is she on? This only works on 3G networks, like "3".

Microwave ovens operate on a frequency of 2.450GHz (2450GHz). Most
mobile phones operate on 800MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz or 1900MHz.

To get faster data rates, the 3G networks use a higher frequency,
2.1GHz, this is close enough to the frequency used in microwave ovens.

So, nobody going to rise to the bait? It is amazing how much you can
bluff if there are a few likely sounding facts. My post saying 3G
mobiles being able to test microwave ovens is complete ********.

Because enough other people posted non-bull**** that noone saw the need
to correct?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

So, nobody going to rise to the bait? It is amazing how much you can
bluff if there are a few likely sounding facts. My post saying 3G
mobiles being able to test microwave ovens is complete ********.

As is your statement

To get faster data rates, the 3G networks use a higher frequency,

which seems to confuse the concepts of bandwidth, spectral efficiency
and the centre frequency of the transmission.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:50:11 +0100, Andy Wade wrote:

As is your statement

To get faster data rates, the 3G networks use a higher frequency,

which seems to confuse the concepts of bandwidth, spectral efficiency
and the centre frequency of the transmission.

It was a *joke* FFS

--
Nigel M

Microwave ovens KTECH Home Repair 4 January 20th 06 01:50 PM
Any microwave ovens available with pop sensors? Doug Warner Home Repair 32 January 4th 06 05:56 PM
Samsung Microwave & GE Microwave oven Soyrunner Electronics Repair 5 March 15th 05 01:46 PM
Microwave ovens thermal fuse/link/tco Sidney Electronics Repair 2 September 29th 04 05:50 AM
Microwave oven upgrade tflfb Home Repair 8 October 23rd 03 12:17 AM