Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Adebisi

Default Shower/Immersion question

Shower/Immersion question

I have an electric shower at the moment that trickles out quite cold in
winter. I am wondering if I could run a power shower from the economy 7
immersion water heater. I never have the emersion on at the moment as I
always have a shower from the electric shower and wash up using the
dish washer. I have no need for hot water so if I used it, it would
only be used for a power shower once a day (there is only one person in
my flat). The immersion heater is quite large and can easily fill a
bath full with its hot water only (so enough for 2 baths at a normal
temperature mixed with the cold). The heater is right next to the
shower/bath so would be lower than the shower head (does that mean I
would need a pump?). Could I run a shower good shower off this system
or should I stick with an electric shower and just get a higher watt
one? I do not want to spend loads on a combi boiler as I would only use
it for a shower and there is no venting wall near also. So all I want
to know is can a power shower be installed into this setup and what
stuff would I need (pump etc?

TIA
Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

So all I want to know is can a power shower be installed into
this setup and what stuff would I need (pump etc?

It is the height of the cold tank that is important. This is either a
cistern in the loft, or (particularly in flats) on top of the hot cylinder.

In any case, you will need a pump to run a shower from a gravity system. A
"power shower" has pump built in. Alternatively, a separate pump and mixer
shower provides a nicer appearance and allows other taps (i.e. bath taps) to
be pumped too.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Adebisi

The cold tank must be in the upstairs loft? This flat and the
surrounding area is only 15 years old so is quite new. I am in the
downstairs flat. There is no tank above the hot water tank so must be
in the loft of the other flat above. The cold water pressure is
extremely powerful (a bit too much!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

The cold tank must be in the upstairs loft? This flat and the
surrounding area is only 15 years old so is quite new. I am in the
downstairs flat. There is no tank above the hot water tank so must be
in the loft of the other flat above. The cold water pressure is
extremely powerful (a bit too much!).

What is the hot pressure like? You might have a mains pressure system and
not require a pump at all.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adebisi

What is the hot pressure like? You might have a mains pressure system and
not require a pump at all.

Christian.

The hot is not very good, I can see quite a miss match between the cold and
hot. The cold is that strong that you can only turn it on a bit before its
rushed over the sides in the hand basin in the bathroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 5 Apr 2006 03:41:01 -0700 someone who may be "Simon Adebisi"
wrote this:-

There is no tank above the hot water tank so must be
in the loft of the other flat above.

It could well be a packaged unit, with tank and cylinder in one
unit. These are not always easy to spot.

To answer your original question, depending on the size of your
cylinder it will probably do one power shower with some spare hot
water for other uses. However, with all showers it depends how long
you like to stand under the shower.

In the summer, if you shower reasonably early, the cylinder has a
chance to be heated again before the cheap rate electricity goes off
at around 8am BST.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM