Posted to uk.d-i-y
seedybee68

Default Candles to protect from rust?

Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter

"seedybee68" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

I do it as it helps for smoother sawing, never heard the rust story.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On 1 Apr 2006 00:15:41 -0800, "seedybee68"
wrote:

Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

Works for me. Some old saws here have been rubbed with wax for years.
Some of the blades are now a deep shiny brown (rust?) and one is
almost black. It's a mixture of oxidisation and wax and possibly a
little dirt. All the saws cut smoothly. I imagine if they were left
out in the rain, things would change drastically.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

seedybee68 wrote:
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really
work?

Chris

Hmmm! thats ok if the wood is not going to be stained or painted after the
cutting?

My way is some plywood the shape of the saw (2 sides)and 1/2" battens down
the edge of the shape then glue 2 pieces of polystyrene to bothe sides and
glue&nail both sides together.
Slide the saw into the small gap of polystyrene. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

"seedybee68" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

The wax doesn't contain any water, any more than petrol and natural gas
contain water. They all *produce* water when burned though, which is a
different thing.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Candle wax isn't the best wax for this, as it's hard and awkward to
spread. For my big static machines with cast iron tops (cabinet saw,
planers etc.) I polish them with Liberon's "lubo wax", a very soft wax
dissolved in white spirit. Soft floor waxes are similar.

There's no free water in wax.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article . com
seedybee68 wrote:
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Paraffin wax is composed of hydrocarbons. If you burn it with surplus
oxygen the combustion products are carbon dioxide and water - the water
wasn't there to start with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
seedybee68 wrote:
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really
work?

Chris

Hmmm! thats ok if the wood is not going to be stained or painted after the
cutting?

Presumably you would plane it before finishing, which will remove any
wax from the surface.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

seedybee68 wrote:
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really
work?

Chris

use the saw, when it goes rusty throw it away and buy a new one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

It's not that suitable because it is difficult to apply properly and
evenly.

A much better choice is to use a light wipe of camellia oil. This is
a very light vegetable oil which is very effective and doesn't make a
mess or end up on the work. It's available from craft shops or you
can get it from Axminster Power Tool Centre.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:50:57 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

A much better choice is to use a light wipe of camellia oil. This is
a very light vegetable oil which is very effective and doesn't make a
mess or end up on the work.

I believe it's generally fish oil, with scents added. Real camellia oil
(look under Asian haircare) is different, both in smell and "feel". The
woodworker's camellia blackens like a fish oil when you heat it, not a
vegetable oil - it's not bad as a finsihing oil for small parts like
this.

I'm still using Axminster's for most tools, but for the swords I use the
proper stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:58:00 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

I'm still using Axminster's for most tools, but for the swords I use the
proper stuff.

Swords?

Yes, I practice iaido and I do re-polishing / re-mounting work on
Japanese swords. Only modern thoguh - 1868 and on, not the good stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"seedybee68" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

I make beeswax candles and tallow candles.

Spouse cares for his tools.

He doesn't use candles.

If the metal is kept dry and sharpened (and set as needed) it doesn't need
any other protection to perform perfectly.

Same with swords :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 20:20:52 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"seedybee68" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

I make beeswax candles and tallow candles.

Spouse cares for his tools.

He doesn't use candles.

If the metal is kept dry and sharpened (and set as needed) it doesn't need
any other protection to perform perfectly.

Same with swords :-)

Mary

You must life in a very interesting part of the country if your sword
remains untarnished from regular use.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"seedybee68" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

I make beeswax candles and tallow candles.

Spouse cares for his tools.

He doesn't use candles.

If the metal is kept dry and sharpened (and set as needed) it doesn't need
any other protection to perform perfectly.

Same with swords :-)

Mary

You must life in a very interesting part of the country if your sword
remains untarnished from regular use.

I didn't say it was used regularly :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Mary Fisher wrote:

If the metal is kept dry and sharpened (and set as needed) it doesn't need
any other protection to perform perfectly.

Many years ago I visited my mother-in-law and it then transpired that
she
needed a bit of wood cut.
"If I just had my saw with me I would gladly oblige" I lied.
Two minutes later she appeared back from the shed with a saw in one
hand and
an oil can in the other.
"What's the oil can for?" I asked
"The saw sticks when you use it" said she.

They'd never heard of a saw "set" (sp?) in that family where alternate
teeth rise and fall
away from the plane of the blade!

So all those years being the unpaid labourer to my carpenter father
paid off after
all...

Mungo :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

If the metal is kept dry and sharpened (and set as needed) it doesn't
need
any other protection to perform perfectly.

Many years ago I visited my mother-in-law and it then transpired that
she
needed a bit of wood cut.
"If I just had my saw with me I would gladly oblige" I lied.
Two minutes later she appeared back from the shed with a saw in one
hand and
an oil can in the other.
"What's the oil can for?" I asked
"The saw sticks when you use it" said she.

They'd never heard of a saw "set" (sp?) in that family where alternate
teeth rise and fall
away from the plane of the blade!

So all those years being the unpaid labourer to my carpenter father
paid off after
all...

It usually does!

I was the unpaid labourer to my mother ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:30:55 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"seedybee68" wrote in message
groups.com...
Hi all

I read at http://www.doitproperly.co.uk/rusty_tools.php

that rubbing candles along a saw blade protects it from rust. I always
understood that wax contains a lot of water, so would this really work?

Chris

I make beeswax candles and tallow candles.

Spouse cares for his tools.

He doesn't use candles.

If the metal is kept dry and sharpened (and set as needed) it doesn't need
any other protection to perform perfectly.

Same with swords :-)

Mary

You must life in a very interesting part of the country if your sword
remains untarnished from regular use.

I didn't say it was used regularly :-)

Of course you didn't but I need all the help I can get when I'm making
a funny.

Mary

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:04:19 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

I must 've got it wrong somewhere along the line because I ended up as
the unpaid labourer to my kids. I'm just waiting for one of them to
send me up a chimney. :-)
Mary

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise. You should send me a postcard before making
a joke ... my mother used to say that she'd do that.

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Mike Halmarack" ... wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:04:19 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
roups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

They'd have to look far and wide for chimneys, especially those which flue
coal fires ...

Luckily I'm too fat for any chimney built in the last two centuries. Also
(and I'm not going to tell you my secret) I have a husband and five
'children' who are willing unpaid labourers.

Clever, huh?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:59:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mike Halmarack" ... wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:04:19 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
groups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Beats anything I've ever achieved.

Mary

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Best way to remove rust from black oxide? DeepDiver Metalworking 23 October 6th 17 06:18 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Tool Rust Comment LRod Woodworking 9 April 3rd 05 11:26 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Question about rust Mike in Mystic Woodworking 46 January 27th 04 04:03 AM