Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aled Hughes

Default Gas valve on Myson/Apollo 15/30

Hi,
My Apollo 15/30B boiler has got a Honeywell "V4600A 1023" gas valve on
it which has gone faulty (pilot light not staying lit even though
thermocouple is fine).
I was wondering if it is OK to replace it for a "V4006C 1029" (it's
cheaper!)? The only difference I can see between the two models in the
spec sheets is that the 'C' model has a soft-start (softlite) feature. I
can't really see this being detrimental to the operation of the boiler.

Does anyone thinks this is OK or a bad move?

Cheers,
aled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:57:03 +0100, Aled Hughes
wrote:

Hi,
My Apollo 15/30B boiler has got a Honeywell "V4600A 1023" gas valve on
it which has gone faulty (pilot light not staying lit even though
thermocouple is fine).
I was wondering if it is OK to replace it for a "V4006C 1029" (it's
cheaper!)? The only difference I can see between the two models in the
spec sheets is that the 'C' model has a soft-start (softlite) feature. I
can't really see this being detrimental to the operation of the boiler.

Does anyone thinks this is OK or a bad move?

Cheers,
aled.

You might do when it fires up...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aled Hughes

wrote:

Hi,
My Apollo 15/30B boiler has got a Honeywell "V4600A 1023" gas valve on
it which has gone faulty (pilot light not staying lit even though
thermocouple is fine).
I was wondering if it is OK to replace it for a "V4006C 1029" (it's
cheaper!)? The only difference I can see between the two models in the
spec sheets is that the 'C' model has a soft-start (softlite) feature. I
can't really see this being detrimental to the operation of the boiler.

Does anyone thinks this is OK or a bad move?

Cheers,
aled.

You might do when it fires up...!

Sorry, I just noticed a typo in my original post - the model I was going
to change it for is a V4600C not V4006C.

So do you recon that it's best I don't use a V4600C? I see that the way
the main burner ignites will be different due to the gas pressure being
initially lower and then ramped up, but then I'm not sure what the exact
effect will be and what could go wrong!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:57:03 +0100, Aled Hughes wrote:

Hi,
My Apollo 15/30B boiler has got a Honeywell "V4600A 1023" gas valve on
it which has gone faulty (pilot light not staying lit even though
thermocouple is fine).
I was wondering if it is OK to replace it for a "V4006C 1029" (it's
cheaper!)? The only difference I can see between the two models in the
spec sheets is that the 'C' model has a soft-start (softlite) feature. I
can't really see this being detrimental to the operation of the boiler.

Does anyone thinks this is OK or a bad move?

If this boiler has an O/H cut out it'll likely be in series with the
thermocouple. Sometimes the connector is placed where the t/couple lead
connects on the gas valve.

Make sure this is eliminated or else you will have an expensive time.
Otherwise use the correct components.