Posted to uk.d-i-y
DeeBee

Default Any Double Glazing Installers - Opinion please?

This maybe a bit off topic, but still kind of DIY related.

Looking at replacing ols aluminium in wood d/g with upvc, and quote so
far have varied eromously.

The two lowest quotes have both quoyed using a upvc profile called
Synerjy by SynSeal. Now I have not come across this profile in my
research into new windows. In fact the only profile I have been
recommeneded is EuroCell, but no company to date has offered me this.

So two questions, is EuroCell really the best profile, and is this
Synerjy profile any good, or is it a cheap low quality profile?

Any advice greatfully received.

DeeBee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

DeeBee wrote:
This maybe a bit off topic, but still kind of DIY related.

Looking at replacing ols aluminium in wood d/g with upvc, and quote so
far have varied eromously.

The two lowest quotes have both quoyed using a upvc profile called
Synerjy by SynSeal. Now I have not come across this profile in my
research into new windows. In fact the only profile I have been
recommeneded is EuroCell, but no company to date has offered me this.

So two questions, is EuroCell really the best profile, and is this
Synerjy profile any good, or is it a cheap low quality profile?

Any advice greatfully received.

The whole profile thing is a big con. It was invented by DG companies
(who are almost all scum BTW) to try to differentiate their products,
which are otherwise very similar to each other.

Every company has a favourite profile, which they will swear blind is
the best profile in the world, and infinitely better than all the
competition. In reality they are all much the same.

The main thing with DG is to find a decent, small-medium company who a)
won't rip you off and b) provide a good level of customer service. Avoid
the national and regional chains like the plague. Try to get a
recommendation. Even better, fit the windows yourself!

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mogweed.

"DeeBee" wrote in message
o.uk...
This maybe a bit off topic, but still kind of DIY related.

Looking at replacing ols aluminium in wood d/g with upvc, and quote so far
have varied eromously.

The two lowest quotes have both quoyed using a upvc profile called Synerjy
by SynSeal. Now I have not come across this profile in my research into
new windows. In fact the only profile I have been recommeneded is
EuroCell, but no company to date has offered me this.

So two questions, is EuroCell really the best profile, and is this Synerjy
profile any good, or is it a cheap low quality profile?

Any advice greatfully received.

DeeBee

Obviously, I don't know whereabouts in the country you are but if you're
near Preston, Lancashire, try Sharbeck Windows. They're a small company
(just the two guys) but they've been in the DG business since 1978. They are
listed in Yellow Pages but they do not advertise - all their work comes by
word-of-mouth and personal recommendation from satisfied customers.

I'd better say now that I'm a friend of theirs and have been for about 30
years, but I'm also a very satisfied customer as well as they've done my
house and my mam's as well.

If you're too far away or just don't want to use them, I know they use
Profile22 materials. Have a look at http://www.profile22.co.uk/

Mogweed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Mogweed. wrote:
"DeeBee" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I agree with Mogweed, try to use a smallish company and ignore the 'hard
sell' national outfits.
Also Grunff is correct WRT profiles etc, there's little difference in any of
them, even the cheapest, nastiest profile frames will outlive most
houses....I can't understand why DG firms try to convince people with
profiles anyway, it's only the fitters who care as some profiles are easier
to work with than others, the end product is exactly the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Grunff wrote:
DeeBee wrote:

[...]

Agreed. That is what I did. I used a small company in Accrington. The
only mistake I made was to have external glazing.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Mogweed. wrote:

Obviously, I don't know whereabouts in the country you are but if you're
near Preston, Lancashire, try Sharbeck Windows. They're a small company
(just the two guys) but they've been in the DG business since 1978. They are
listed in Yellow Pages but they do not advertise - all their work comes by
word-of-mouth and personal recommendation from satisfied customers.

I'm in the Preston area, but I have never heard of them. I'll look them up.

All my windows are profile 22 and I have no complaints about them

Dave