Colin Wilson

Default Double glazing / FENSA registered companies

A colleague is having trouble with a fairly large double glazing firm,
part of (IIRC) a large building PLC.

She had their windows installed 2 years ago, and has since had problems
with various parts of the installation - some windows are fitted at the
wrong "depth" in the brick opening, none have a drip groove, and water
is being diverted onto her brickwork causing damp problems.

A surveyor told them it would cause fairly major problems if not
resolved, and advised them to go to a solicitor, as the company involved
were doing the proverbial "la la la can't hear you so there isn't a
problem"

The solicitor is apparently getting nowhere fast, and is happy to rack
up fees for my colleague, while having a stand-off against the PLC with
much deeper pockets.

FENSA say its not their problem either, as the company hasn't gone bust.

What i'm thinking is (perhaps someone else has a suggestion ?)

....since DIY windows are supposed to need building regs involvement, and
this company apparently has other complaints registered against it of a
similar nature, should this perhaps be referred back via building regs
to follow up and inspect some of their work ?

Could building regs force them to do corrective work for faulty
workmanship done under a blanket authorisation to install windows ?

TIA
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Colin Wilson writes:

Could building regs force them to do corrective work for faulty
workmanship done under a blanket authorisation to install windows ?

No.
If the windows don't conform, the BCO could force your colleague
to have them fixed, but they would have no power to force the
original company to do that for free.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Colin Wilson

If the windows don't conform, the BCO could force your colleague
to have them fixed, but they would have no power to force the
original company to do that for free.

Which is pretty much as they expect anyway, but I suppose if they just
took it to small claims court, such action by the BCO would make the
case a lot harder to defend from the installers point of view.
John Rumm

Colin Wilson wrote:

If the windows don't conform, the BCO could force your colleague
to have them fixed, but they would have no power to force the
original company to do that for free.

Which is pretty much as they expect anyway, but I suppose if they just
took it to small claims court, such action by the BCO would make the
case a lot harder to defend from the installers point of view.

I would have though simply a statement from the BCO and a surveyor that
the work was not to standard would be enough to bring a small claims
action.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:34:26 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote:

If the windows don't conform, the BCO could force your colleague
to have them fixed, but they would have no power to force the
original company to do that for free.

Which is pretty much as they expect anyway, but I suppose if they just
took it to small claims court, such action by the BCO would make the
case a lot harder to defend from the installers point of view.

I would have though simply a statement from the BCO and a surveyor that
the work was not to standard would be enough to bring a small claims
action.

Remember that there is a £5k limit on these, and above that is regular
court....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

chris French

In message , Colin
Wilson writes
A colleague is having trouble with a fairly large double glazing firm,
part of (IIRC) a large building PLC.

FENSA say its not their problem either, as the company hasn't gone bust.

What about the GGF? ISTR they had some sort of complaints/arbitration
scheme
--
Chris French

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

Remember that there is a £5k limit on these, and above that is regular
court....

I was assuming that refitting existing windows ought not cost that
much... Still I suppose it depends on how much making good there is to
fix anything damaged by ingress of water.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike Harrison

wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote:

If the windows don't conform, the BCO could force your colleague
to have them fixed, but they would have no power to force the
original company to do that for free.

Which is pretty much as they expect anyway, but I suppose if they just
took it to small claims court, such action by the BCO would make the
case a lot harder to defend from the installers point of view.

I would have though simply a statement from the BCO and a surveyor that
the work was not to standard would be enough to bring a small claims
action.

Remember that there is a £5k limit on these, and above that is regular
court....

Don't FENSA have a mandatory guarantee/indemnity requirement...?
Hugo Nebula

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:33:05 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
Colin Wilson randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

A colleague is having trouble with a fairly large double glazing firm,
part of (IIRC) a large building PLC.

...since DIY windows are supposed to need building regs involvement, and
this company apparently has other complaints registered against it of a
similar nature, should this perhaps be referred back via building regs
to follow up and inspect some of their work ?

WRT replacement windows, the building regulations only control the
heat-loss, not the quality and fitness. If they are FENSA-registered,
then Building Control has no involvement anyway. Your only chance is
with the Glass & Glazing Federation (!) or Trading Standards.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:47:58 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Remember that there is a £5k limit on these, and above that is regular
court....

I was assuming that refitting existing windows ought not cost that
much... Still I suppose it depends on how much making good there is to
fix anything damaged by ingress of water.

Possibly not - I just wanted to mention it to highlight that the
procedure is different should the situation arise.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Pete C

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:33:05 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

A colleague is having trouble with a fairly large double glazing firm,
part of (IIRC) a large building PLC.

snip

Name and shame!!!

cheers,
Pete.
Colin Wilson

A colleague is having trouble with a fairly large double glazing firm,
part of (IIRC) a large building PLC.

snip
Name and shame!!!

I`m not sure which it is, there are two companies starting with the name
"Allerton", one ends with "Windows" and the other with "Glass".

AFAIK neither are related, so it would be unfair to single out what
might be the wrong one.

Double glazing - two misted windows Nozza UK diy 16 November 2nd 12 12:41 PM
Secondary Double Glazing Owain UK diy 2 August 10th 03 06:26 PM
Can anyone recommend Double Glazing firms in Worcester or West Midlands Steve UK diy 3 July 30th 03 08:40 PM
Secondary double glazing for patio doors? John Smith UK diy 0 July 20th 03 11:27 PM
Cracked outer double glazing pane - UK diy 6 July 9th 03 06:36 PM