Junior Member

Default AGA Hot Water

Hi, I would appreciate any help or suggestions. I have an Oil fired AGA (2 Oven) which also produces all the hot water for the house. Therein lies the problem, the water is unbelievably hot, not just very hot verging on boiling. OK so this is not a problem in its self but our house is quite old and wandery and by the time the hot water gets to the taps its running pretty slowly, so I have installed a pump for the hot water. But the water temp is to hot for the pump so had to install a blender valve, unfortunately the high temp of the water overwhelms the blender valve which spasmodically shuts down and opens up if I have it anywhere near its max output temp of 50c . The water pump thinks its having a fit off on, off on, and the water pressure is no better than before. I’ve done the Surry flange bit and auto air bleeds.
What I am trying to ask is I need to control the water temp in the cylinder, if it were a normal boiler I would fit a tank stat and bypass valve but the AGA website says do not do this. (Gravity feed from AGA to hot tank)
Any help very welcome.
Many thanks
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

scrignac wrote:
[...]

look up a company called norton's or norton in sheffield, if it's within
service range, they know just about everything aga and rayburn
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:22:48 +0000, scrignac
wrote:

[...]

Contact Aga-Rayburn's technical department in Telford. I've always
found them pretty helpful. If they can't help you directly, they will
put you in touch with your local dealer who will be able to do so.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

scrignac wrote:

I have an Oil fired AGA

You have my sympathy. One day you'll grow up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you sell the Aga you will probably be able to afford a proper cooker
and CH system which will be much cheaper in every respect and much more
efficient and useful.
cheers

Jacob

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Firth
scrignac wrote:

I have an Oil fired AGA

You have my sympathy. One day you'll grow up.
Thank you to everyone for their suggestions, although as a newbie to this site and someone needing some help I was a bit surprised at the sharpness of the above response. I have used this site in the past for invaluable technical help and this is probably the first Flame response I have seen. Steve you may be an old hand at this but I am sure you dont realise how many people you put off with needless insulting comments.
But anyway thanks to the rest of you and I will contact the tech dept at AGA on Monday.
Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:48:58 +0000 someone who may be scrignac
wrote this:-

as a newbie to
this site and someone needing some help I was a bit surprised at the
sharpness of the above response.

It tells you something about the poster, rather than the group.

It sounds as if you are not drawing off as much hot water as the
cooker is producing. Is your hot water cylinder sized appropriately
for the cooker and hot water use?

There might be three ways of dealing with this, in order of probable
complication:

1) a larger hot water cylinder.

2) a towel rail.

3) replace the cylinder with a thermal store. The store would be
heated by the cooker and at least one supplementary source. How is
your heating provided? If an oil boiler then this could be a
supplementary source.

All three options would need more consideration than can be given
here, especially the last one.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Owain
writes
scrignac wrote:
Steve Firth Wrote:
I have an Oil fired AGA
You have my sympathy. One day you'll grow up.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions, although as a newbie to
this site and someone needing some help I was a bit surprised at the
sharpness of the above response. I have used this site in the past for
invaluable technical help and this is probably the first Flame response
I have seen.

(a) all together now This isn't a site, it's a newsgroup

Except that he's one of the diybanter twots

(b) Aga-owner-baiting is one of the recognised sports here.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Owain
writes
scrignac wrote:
Steve Firth Wrote:
I have an Oil fired AGA
You have my sympathy. One day you'll grow up.
Thank you to everyone for their suggestions, although as a newbie to
this site and someone needing some help I was a bit surprised at the
sharpness of the above response. I have used this site in the past for
invaluable technical help and this is probably the first Flame response
I have seen.

(a) all together now This isn't a site, it's a newsgroup

Except that he's one of the diybanter twots

(b) Aga-owner-baiting is one of the recognised sports here.

I'm one too. We are mostly ex aga owners who want to be helpful for
those going down the same expensive trail of self deception.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

scrignac wrote:
Steve Firth Wrote:
scrignac wrote:

I have an Oil fired AGA

You have my sympathy. One day you'll grow up.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions, although as a newbie to
this site and someone needing some help I was a bit surprised at the
sharpness of the above response. I have used this site in the past for
invaluable technical help and this is probably the first Flame response
I have seen. Steve you may be an old hand at this but I am sure you dont
realise how many people you put off with needless insulting comments.
But anyway thanks to the rest of you and I will contact the tech dept
at AGA on Monday.

Oh don't mind him. His first love abandoned him for a member of the
Young Farmers who used to dry his wet underwear on the Aga after
delivering calves at 3.a.m.
He's never got over it.

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Apart from us stolid aga owners who accept that they do not instantly
turn a miserable life into something out of a interior style magazine,
or indeed stir frying very well, but nevertheless like the old things.

I cooked on one for the first time yesterday. It was OK, just different.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:35:52 GMT, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Apart from us stolid aga owners who accept that they do not instantly
turn a miserable life into something out of a interior style magazine,
or indeed stir frying very well, but nevertheless like the old things.

I cooked on one for the first time yesterday. It was OK, just different.

It's not difficult at all for most people, although some do have
difficulty in adapting if they are conditioned to needing to see a
flame that they can turn up and down.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:53:31 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
(b) Aga-owner-baiting is one of the recognised sports here.
I'm one too. We are mostly ex aga owners who want to be helpful for
those going down the same expensive trail of self deception.

You forgot the bit about poor craftsmen blaming their tools ;-)

A good craftsman recognises a poor tool when he sees it :-)

Owain

Unless he's a tool himself, he'd need to look elsewhere. Besides,
this is a hot water discussion. ;-)

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com

Salt content of softened water Steve B Home Repair 26 January 25th 06 04:06 AM
The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Ownership 0 December 13th 05 08:44 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM