Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Waste water reuse.

"February fills dikes and March licks them out" notwithstanding, it's
time to start considering garden irrigation schemes..

My track record so far this year as a weatherforecaster is pretty bad
but pencil in April and May as damp patches with a fine June. Just in
case there is a drought, those interested in gardening might want to
start fitting extensions to their waste outlets to take washing machine
and kitchen sink run-off to the vegetable plot.

Waste water might contain a lot of phosphates from washing powders and
etc but it is a useful fertiliser to all those not into organic soils.
The stuff tends to stink if put in water butts for a long time though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
"February fills dikes and March licks them out" notwithstanding, it's
time to start considering garden irrigation schemes..

My track record so far this year as a weatherforecaster is pretty bad
but pencil in April and May as damp patches with a fine June. Just in
case there is a drought, those interested in gardening might want to
start fitting extensions to their waste outlets to take washing machine
and kitchen sink run-off to the vegetable plot.

Waste water might contain a lot of phosphates from washing powders and
etc but it is a useful fertiliser to all those not into organic soils.
The stuff tends to stink if put in water butts for a long time though.

the gotcha is salt content. Low salt levels over a couple of years can
build up to enough to kill plants, so dont irrigate with dishwasher
waste or softened water, nor with kitchen sink pans of salted cook
water.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

wrote in message
oups.com...
Weatherlawyer wrote:
snip

the gotcha is salt content. Low salt levels over a couple of years can
build up to enough to kill plants, so dont irrigate with dishwasher
waste or softened water, nor with kitchen sink pans of salted cook
water.

Softened water does not contain salt. It contains sodium carbonate instead
of "hard" calcium carbonate.

The waste from a water softener during regeneration contains calcium
chloride and may contain salt if your softener is wasteful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Weatherlawyer wrote:
"February fills dikes and March licks them out" notwithstanding, it's
time to start considering garden irrigation schemes..

Specially since February filldyke has failed again and standpipes are
promised ...

My track record so far this year as a weatherforecaster is pretty bad

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/singularities.asp is advertised by
metcheck as the "Rest of 2006" though it isn't quite that.

but pencil in April and May as damp patches with a fine June. Just in
case there is a drought, those interested in gardening might want to
start fitting extensions to their waste outlets to take washing machine
and kitchen sink run-off to the vegetable plot.

You already collect all your roof run-off, I assume?

Waste water might contain a lot of phosphates from washing powders and
etc but it is a useful fertiliser to all those not into organic soils.
The stuff tends to stink if put in water butts for a long time though.

Most people use orders of magnitude more powders &c than necessary.
Careful housekeeping, pre-rinsing dishes in minimal water &c could
probably result in almost potable water.

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Douglas de Lacey" wrote in message
Weatherlawyer wrote:
"February fills dikes and March licks them out" notwithstanding, it's
time to start considering garden irrigation schemes..

Specially since February filldyke has failed again and standpipes are
promised ...

Not here. All our butts have been overflowing all winter, it's such a
waste...

I begrudge wasting the bathroom dead leg water first thing in the morning. I
tried flushing the lav with it but it's not very effective pouring it into
the bowl from a bowl, if you know what I mean. Spouse has the answer (blast
him, he always has!): flush the lav as usual then immediately pour the
otherwise 'waste' water into the cistern before it fills.

You already collect all your roof run-off, I assume?

We try- but there's been so much ...

Most people use orders of magnitude more powders &c than necessary.
Careful housekeeping, pre-rinsing dishes in minimal water &c could
probably result in almost potable water.

I really must try the eco-balls ...

Mary

Douglas de Lacey

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

Weatherlawyer wrote:
"February fills dikes and March licks them out" notwithstanding, it's
time to start considering garden irrigation schemes..

Specially since February filldyke has failed again and standpipes are
promised ...

Not here. All our butts have been overflowing all winter, it's such a
waste...

Why? It will just evaporate and fall again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Weatherlawyer wrote:
"February fills dikes and March licks them out" notwithstanding, it's
time to start considering garden irrigation schemes..

Specially since February filldyke has failed again and standpipes are
promised ...

Not here. All our butts have been overflowing all winter, it's such a
waste...

Imodium will fix that.....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Douglas de Lacey typed

Most people use orders of magnitude more powders &c than necessary.

Not helped by the dosing recommendations and broad spouts from the
manufacturers.

My washing-up liquid is dispensed by pump and I use very little.

(My Mum uses much more Fairy Liquid 'rinsing' crockery before it goes
into the dishwasher than I use for my washing up...)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Douglas de Lacey typed

Most people use orders of magnitude more powders &c than necessary.

Not helped by the dosing recommendations and broad spouts from the
manufacturers.

My washing-up liquid is dispensed by pump and I use very little.

(My Mum uses much more Fairy Liquid 'rinsing' crockery before it goes
into the dishwasher than I use for my washing up...)

I had an eye opener. New Miele washing machine has a little "excess
detergent" LED on the front. I've had that light more often than not
using half the amount of detergent I used to put in the old machine.

I'm down to using 1/3 recommended amounts now on full loads and stuff seems
to be clean.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Tim S typed

I had an eye opener. New Miele washing machine has a little "excess
detergent" LED on the front. I've had that light more often than not
using half the amount of detergent I used to put in the old machine.

I'm down to using 1/3 recommended amounts now on full loads and stuff seems
to be clean.

My Mum uses those tablets in her Miele dishwasher :-(

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:54:14 +0000, Tim S wrote:

|I had an eye opener. New Miele washing machine has a little "excess
|detergent" LED on the front. I've had that light more often than not
|using half the amount of detergent I used to put in the old machine.
|
|I'm down to using 1/3 recommended amounts now on full loads and stuff seems
|to be clean.

The general rule for front loaders is that you should have a thin line of
bubbles on the surface of the water when working. Any more and you are
throwing money at the detergent makers, who recommend **far** more than is
required.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Tim S" wrote in message
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I had an eye opener. New Miele washing machine has a little "excess
detergent" LED on the front.

What an excellent idea!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Douglas de Lacey wrote:

You already collect all your roof run-off, I assume?

One of the best things about droughts is the lack of rain. Pity it's
also the worst. Either way, had I not it would be too late to do so by
then.

I would had I a garden and a drought, seriously consider getting a fuel
pump and a car battery to connect the hose to and drain the bath.

I kept the water pump from my last washing machine. But I don't know
how to fit the wires to it and the thought of messing with 240V and
water on a piece of diy bodged up kit...

Anyone know if that would run on 12V?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
neil

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I kept the water pump from my last washing machine. But I don't know
how to fit the wires to it and the thought of messing with 240V and
water on a piece of diy bodged up kit...
Anyone know if that would run on 12V?

I think that the little motor inside would probably either burn out or just
not work on 12VDC.
Are the connections via spade push-on tabs like used in cars?
If so, it should be fairly easy to connect up - use some good insulation
though, tomake sure you can't touch anything.
The water should be going through hoses, so unless there's a bad leak the
water shouldn't be getting any where near the electricity.
Could ask on sci.electronic.basic ...
cheers,
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Softened water does not contain salt. It contains sodium carbonate instead
of "hard" calcium carbonate.

The waste from a water softener during regeneration contains calcium
chloride and may contain salt if your softener is wasteful.

Despite the ionic exchanges, plants dont like it I'm told. Though I
cant be sure. And dishwashers discharge brine, least mine does.

Mary:

I begrudge wasting the bathroom dead leg water first thing in the morning. I
tried flushing the lav with it but it's not very effective pouring it into
the bowl from a bowl, if you know what I mean. Spouse has the answer (blast
him, he always has!): flush the lav as usual then immediately pour the
otherwise 'waste' water into the cistern before it fills.

Maybe pipe the sink outlet into the cistern so both dead leg water and
hand wash water all go into the cistern for reuse. Use an overflow that
goes into the pan and in some cases the sink water may even flush and
fill.

Question is what plumbing approach to use to keep it consistently fresh
and whiff free. If the sink were mounted on top of the cistern, with
the plughole going straight into the water below, I'm sure there would
be no problem. A u-bend otoh might not be so clean. Maybe an expert
plumber here would know how to ensure this worked without risk of
whiff.

I really must try the eco-balls ...

IIUC no more effective than a plain water wash.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Very difficult when the bathroom sink is in another room from the wc! It
would take a lot of plumbing. We don't mind portering the water, it's hardly
a chore.

I really must try the eco-balls ...

IIUC no more effective than a plain water wash.

You haven't tried them. I intend to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I really must try the eco-balls ...

IIUC no more effective than a plain water wash.

You haven't tried them. I intend to.

I know someone who had some. Fine as long as you don't want your clothes
too clean and don't mind them smelling. No kidding.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I really must try the eco-balls ...

IIUC no more effective than a plain water wash.

You haven't tried them. I intend to.

I know someone who had some. Fine as long as you don't want your clothes
too clean and don't mind them smelling. No kidding.

I'll judge for myself.

Hearsay isn't reliable.

Mary

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I'll judge for myself.

Hearsay isn't reliable.

I've heard that leaping under a fast-moving bus can be dangerous...

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I really must try the eco-balls ...

IIUC no more effective than a plain water wash.

You haven't tried them. I intend to.

I know someone who had some. Fine as long as you don't want your
clothes too clean and don't mind them smelling. No kidding.

I'll judge for myself.

Fair enough.

Hearsay isn't reliable.

It wasn't what I heard, it was more what I saw and smelt. Still, admittedly
only anecdotal. Enough though to convince me that it was another example of
snake-oil.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You haven't tried them.

true, and irrelevant.

I intend to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message

Maybe pipe the sink outlet into the cistern so both dead leg water and
hand wash water all go into the cistern for reuse. Use an overflow that
goes into the pan and in some cases the sink water may even flush and
fill.

Very difficult when the bathroom sink is in another room from the wc! It
would take a lot of plumbing. We don't mind portering the water, it's hardly
a chore.

calculate the energy you use to do it and the energy it saves, its an
energy sink.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:

Very difficult when the bathroom sink is in another room from the wc! It
would take a lot of plumbing. We don't mind portering the water, it's
hardly
a chore.

calculate the energy you use to do it and the energy it saves, its an
energy sink.

In our bodies???

Come ON!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:

Very difficult when the bathroom sink is in another room from the wc! It
would take a lot of plumbing. We don't mind portering the water, it's
hardly
a chore.

calculate the energy you use to do it and the energy it saves, its an
energy sink.

In our bodies???

Come ON!

If you think doing something that wastes energy pointlessly, pays 1p
per hour and uses up human energy, which is a valued resource, is a
good idea, then go for it. And it appears you do!!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sponix wrote:

Anyway, water softeners waste an appreciable amount of water during
regeneration.

It's silly to save water to irrigate plants if you have a wasteful
softener installed. They do nothing for the environment and contrary
to what the salesman would have you believe don't save on detergents
either.

they can save a lot of work on cleaning though. Hard water + assortment
of materials in shower area = nowt but hassle.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message