Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default What temp should elect immersion heater be set to?

dave wrote:

What temperature should an electric Immersion heater be set to?
Is there a recommended max (even though it may be possible to go beyond that).
I've heard that if set too high, the pipes clog-up faster.

You want it at least 60 - 65 to kill off any bugs in there. The hotter
you have it the more energy you store (so longer showers per tank full),
but the greater the risk of injury. If you need to keep it at a very
high temperature then you can use blending valves at the point of use to
reduce the temperature to a safe level.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:59:30 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

|dave wrote:
|
| What temperature should an electric Immersion heater be set to?
| Is there a recommended max (even though it may be possible to go beyond that).
| I've heard that if set too high, the pipes clog-up faster.
|
|You want it at least 60 - 65 to kill off any bugs in there. The hotter
|you have it the more energy you store (so longer showers per tank full),
|but the greater the risk of injury. If you need to keep it at a very
|high temperature then you can use blending valves at the point of use to
|reduce the temperature to a safe level.

A bit on the low side.

The recommended temperatures, for serving food to the public, for killing
food poisoning bugs, is 72 deg C or 84 deg C depending what books you read.
64 is the temperature you can store food at for only 2 hrs while serving
before you have to throw it away.

So 72 deg C is as low as I would go.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
The recommended temperatures, for serving food to the public, for killing
food poisoning bugs, is 72 deg C or 84 deg C depending what books you

read.
64 is the temperature you can store food at for only 2 hrs while serving
before you have to throw it away.

So 72 deg C is as low as I would go.

Whilst ideal for biological protection, such a
temperature would require the
use of a TMV, as the risk of scalding
would be very significantly greater
than the risk of poisoning by this temp.
Indeed, at 72C, you have a very
substantial chance that someone (probably an unfamiliar visitor) will
require hospital treatment within the lifetime of the system. Many people
(particularly children and elderly people) are killed every year by
scalding
water. Many more are maimed and disfigured.

The biggest cause of serious injury and death each year with water systems
is water being far too hot. It looks like TMVs may become standard on new
installations and updates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

The biggest cause of serious injury and death each year with water systems
is water being far too hot. It looks like TMVs may become standard on new
installations and updates.

Trouble with that is that if you want to add more hot water to a bath
after half an hour or so, you can only add water at a safe bathing
temperature, which is no damn good for warming up a cooling bath.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

However, they are useful for limiting temp to 60C, which is useful for
warming a bath, whilst storing at higher temps. I suspect the new rules will
require 40C limits (or even 38C), which will be 36C by the time you've
heated up the bath material and 34C by the time you've got in...

Then people like me will take them out of circuit.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

However, they are useful for limiting temp to 60C, which is useful for
warming a bath, whilst storing at higher temps. I suspect the new rules
will
require 40C limits (or even 38C), which will be 36C by the time you've
heated up the bath material and 34C by the time you've got in...

Then people like me will take them out of circuit.

Or get a thermostatic mixer

Immersion Heater substitute Help! tonytrans UK diy 3 April 19th 06 05:56 PM
immersion heating woes... Russ UK diy 16 January 9th 06 06:28 PM
Immersion Water Heater Problem Tim W. UK diy 1 March 27th 05 12:33 AM
Immersion Heater Problems ;-( Tim W. Home Repair 1 March 26th 05 11:17 PM
Strange immersion heater stat? T i m UK diy 7 March 22nd 04 10:02 PM